Thread: I need help

Deleted

I need help

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker

I need help with my priest. I'm wanting to switch to it from my DK tank (tanking has got really boring recently) and start holy healing.

I've read all the guides (on here and EJ too) but my heals seem to be lagging.

In LFR (which, I know, isn't a benchmark) with single target chakra I'm hitting 8k/9k hps. With AoE chakra, hitting 12k/13k hps, is that enough?

My usual single target heals are: PoM, heal, renew, HW:Ser
    AoE: PoM, CoH, PoH, HW:Sanc

It won't let me post my armory, but search for Vertoc on Xavius (EU)

Any tips to improve would be appreciated

Thanks!

Deleted
    Thanks Arlee

The reason LFR is a bad benchmark: you can't heal damage that isn't there. Unless you're a total beast and can pre-cast your heals (predicting incoming damage) there's absolutely no way to get high HPS in LFR. In LFR just focus on learning your class mechanics. You need a try in Normal to get your feet wet, try an alt run!

Deleted
    Your gear and stats look to be fine. I personally would put the 2 talents from blessed resilience into Heavenly Voice. A 100% healing increase by Divine Hymn and being able to use it every 3 minutes is quite awesome.
    Last edited by mmoc416153d144; 2011-12-21 at 03:23 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks for the tips.

I will be changing those talents tonight. I was looking at that the other day actually

Another thing, I use Healbot, and wondering if I got the right spells linked to the right buttons?

LH button: Heal
    Middle: CoH
    RH Button: Renew
    Button 4: PoM
    Button 5: HW:Ser

Dispells on mr ctrl
    Shift ones are greater heals.
    Last edited by mmoc5302c1219a; 2011-12-21 at 03:32 PM.

mmmm, click healing is sketchy for priest. There are just too many spells and all of them are so useful - when you get used to clickhealing you'll find yourself mostly using those 5 in lieu of better tools, since the others are on your keyboard. Do you mouseturn?

I heal with mouseover macros, macros bound with modifiers on my hotbars. 24 keys on my hotbars, most of them modded. I use ALL my buttons regularly. Can't imagine trying to clickheal with a priest.

Other classes clickheal better. The ones that actually have 5 or fewer core abilities that make up 95% of their activity. IE all other healers.

Deleted
    As I'm still a nooby healer, what do you recommend?

you can click heal if you want, but give mouseover macros a solid try. Downloading clique will put a reasonable starter set in your macro list.
    Healbot is fine, but not my first choice.

Deleted
    Ok, I'll take a look later, thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    You have ~1.3 seconds between each cast to make a decision on who to heal next. I just select them manually and press the hotkey I want.

It doesn't lend itself well to heroic raiding or some normal mode raids, but most of the time it's fine.

R.I.P. YARG

Here's my setup using Healbot:
    *please note this is from memory and all of my healing is from muscle memory

Right-Mouse Button
    =============
    Click: Greater Heal
    Shift+Click: Dispel Magic
    CTRL+Click: Cure Disease

Middle Mouse Button
    =============
    Click: Renew
    Shift+Click: Binding Heal
    CTRL+Click: Pain Suppression

Left Mouse Button
    =============
    Click: Flash Heal
    CTRL+Click: Prayer of Mending

Mouse Button 5
    =============
    Click: Leap of Faith

As for keyboard keys:
    1: Penance
    2: Prayer of Healing
    3: Inner Focus
    4: Power Word: Barrier
    5: Power Infusion
    Disc/Shadow Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Fraden View Post
    In LFR (which, I know, isn't a benchmark) with single target chakra I'm hitting 8k/9k hps. With AoE chakra, hitting 12k/13k hps, is that enough?
    Healing is good as long as noone dies and/or you end the fight under 20% mana.

If someone dies, it's in 70% of the cases because of to little healing. Then there is two things to consider:
    1. Was the person healed to little?
    or
    2. Was the person actually healed but took so much damage that the healing was to intence to keep up?
    Yes, I actually say that a dps standing in fire still did not recieve enough heals as fire is usualy healable but expencive manawise.
    The other 30% are often oneshots or close to and is someone else fault.

Ending a fight with to much mana shows that you healed less than you were capable of.
    Let others jump around doing nothing when it's nothing to heal. I've allways said that it's better to coninue healing if you can afford it through the whole fight than standing doing nothing ust so the healing won't go from nothing to alot when the damage finally comes. It's a very hard decistion to make when to continue healing and spend you mana or when you'll need to save it for later, that's one of the key things to learn as a healer and is proably the seccond hardest thing to master (class healing priority the hardest).
    Last edited by eErike; 2011-12-21 at 09:04 PM.

Deleted
    Ending the fight with some mana left does not mean you healed less than you were capable of. A fight only has so much dmg going out, any heals beyond that is just pointless overhealing. The only argument you could make here is that maybe you should drop a healer for more dps.
    Last edited by mmoc1b009d603f; 2011-12-22 at 08:33 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks.

I managed to do DS as part of my guild last night, and I actually manged to out heal a druid and another holy priest (ok, I was pure AoE healing, but still) I don't think I was as bad as I thought.

I'm still not good at single target healing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraden View Post
    Thanks.

I managed to do DS as part of my guild last night, and I actually manged to out heal a druid and another holy priest (ok, I was pure AoE healing, but still) I don't think I was as bad as I thought.

I'm still not good at single target healing though.
    For single target healing as holy, you would ideally be in Chakra:Serenity and keep a rolling renew on your target(s) of choice and refresh them with a HW:S instant cast or greater heal. If you need to bring up someone quick, do a flash heal or binding heal if you need help as well, stacking Serendipity, and then follow up with a greater heal.
    Disc/Shadow Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    you can click heal if you want, but give mouseover macros a solid try. Downloading clique will put a reasonable starter set in your macro list.
    Healbot is fine, but not my first choice.
    I've been using mouseover macros + clique (and the cata steelseries mouse) ---- LOVE it, no issues, ever. 18 spells bound to my mouse buttons without using left/right click.

Anyway, just fyi - I did LFR the other day and zak's absolutely right, you can't heal damage that isn't there. I think several fights I was around 12k simply because there was nothing to heal.