Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unorthodox, yet Viable Nef Strat for Phase 2?

Hello, my guild has had our first night of Nef attempts last week and we are going in tonight to kill him off.

Our healers are definitely shocked by the amount of damage during phase 2 when crackle/electrocute comes out. There are couple of attempts where everyone came out alive and some where 2-3 people have died.

I read this particularly strat and was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it is actually viable. The strat is...

Once phase 2 starts, everyone goes to their designated platforms as usual. 3/3/4 people per pillar. Keeping up ALL interrupts, DPS 2 of the adds and keep one alive. After 2 adds are dead, people who have downed their add all SWIM to the platform with the add that is still alive. The point of doing this is to keep everyone stacked up so aoe heals can be used efficiently.

Any thoughts? the original poster of this strat said they made crackle in phase 2 VERY easy.

Possibly, the worst idea you could come up with, and soo many problems with it.

1. Fire Debuff while swimming... A ridiculous amount of healing would be needed.
    2. If you get hit by Crackle while in the Lava, it's over.
    3. If you get Shadow Barriaged while in the Lava, it's over.
    4. If 10 people are on 1 platform, that means EVERY Shadow Barriage, 10 people will get hit for 22,750 Shadow Damage. The amount of healing required would be crazy. (Shadow Barriage splashes, also, more than 1 goes out at a time usually)

Sounds like the worst idea I've ever heard. For one, you'll take lots of unnecessary damage from the lava and the DoT it puts on you. Secondly, the entire time you're taking damage from the lava Nef is still pelting you with Shadowflame Barrage (which hits hard, and with limited heals while healers are swimming it would likely mean deaths).

Lastly, should your raid manage to group up on that one platform, there is no way in hell you could possible spread out enough so Shadowflame Barrage will hit multiple people every time, so you would most likely wipe at that point if you hadn't already.

If your healers can heal through people swimming in fire they can heal through one more crackle. One tip i would give is that because of the rng nature of the shadow volley, which if you are unlucky/unprepared can lead to people dying to electrocute - make sure raid heals, such as any pally holy radiance, tranquility from a dps druid, hymn form a spriest (any non-healer aoe heal) is used prior to the electrocute. If your healers can handle one crackle at any point in the fight they can handle the second cute in p2, they just need the 5 seconds leading up to it to go as smooth as possible (ie not get unlucky and have back to back to back shadow volleys hit one platform). Also make sure you are saving Divine Guardian and disc Barrier for the second crackle if you have them in the raid.

Me personally, as a prot pala, i save 3 hopo, divine plea (for another 3 hopo wog), divine sac and divine guardian all for the second crackle, along with holy radiance 3 second before it goes off, also have LoH for if shit really hits the fan. All that is to ensure we make it through, as it is the only hard part in the fight.

Shadowflamge Barrage does not have any AoE. It's a viable tactic if you want to push for crackles in 10 man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breyers View Post
    Possibly, the worst idea you could come up with, and soo many problems with it.

1. Fire Debuff while swimming... A ridiculous amount of healing would be needed.
    2. If you get hit by Crackle while in the Lava, it's over.
    3. If you get Shadow Barriaged while in the Lava, it's over.
    4. If 10 people are on 1 platform, that means EVERY Shadow Barriage, 10 people will get hit for 22,750 Shadow Damage. The amount of healing required would be crazy. (Shadow Barriage splashes, also, more than 1 goes out at a time usually)
    It does not splash, never has and never will. It may seem like it if your platform gets pelted with the beggars but it really really doesn't.

Despite that its really not worth the risk involved in getting everyone to the 1 platform. If you are having trouble pushing crackles in p2, its simple, don't do it. Yes it will make p3 easier but as long as your add kiter has his game face on it shouldnt be an issue. (We got our first kill running 3 tanks 3 healers 4 dps (lol) only pushing 2 crackles prior to p3)

the shadow barrage doesnt splash... LOL it hits a single target. and it is entirely possible to swim from 1 pillar to the other without the fire damage being to much to handle.

however only resto druids would be able to heal during the swim if anyone else stoped to cast a heal they would die in the lava. it is much easyer ot just NOT dps nef and push P3 as fast as you can and then just deal with the adds correctly.

Really? I was under the impression it did Splash. Are you sure it didn't in the past? Because it sure seemed like it.

There have also been many claims that it have a splash effect in multiple places I've read. :S
    Last edited by Breyers; 2011-03-08 at 06:45 PM.

Any strat involving swimming in the lava should be tossed to the side immediately, that sounds like a half baked strat that someone shooting for the nef achievment was trying. Heres how to handle the fight. Get your 2 crackles in P1, burn nef to ~72% then kill ony, P2 you dont need to have a crackle, just burn your adds, should take a little over a minute with all dps focusing, then head into phase 3 and from that point on its all about yout tanks communicating for breath / kite path interaction. It is completely viable to forget crackles in P2, all it is is extra damage while giving a small buffer to your add tank.

As far as P2, it lasts 3 minutes if stretched so there is no need to burn like your bout to die. Hybrids help healing until the raid is topped off, then start on teh add. Pop all defensive cd's straight out of the lava seing as how with 5-10 debuffs from the lava you will be taking loads more damage. If you insist on doing crackles in P2, start out not doing them because your add tank will need a few tries to get his kite path down and this will also show you how many crackles you should shoot for in P2 ( i.e. - if you keep wiping at 15% then you could shoot for 1 in P2 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr420 View Post
    Any strat involving swimming in the lava should be tossed to the side immediately, that sounds like a half baked strat that someone shooting for the nef achievment was trying. Heres how to handle the fight. Get your 2 crackles in P1, burn nef to ~72% then kill ony, P2 you dont need to have a crackle, just burn your adds, should take a little over a minute with all dps focusing, then head into phase 3 and from that point on its all about yout tanks communicating for breath / kite path interaction. It is completely viable to forget crackles in P2, all it is is extra damage while giving a small buffer to your add tank.

As far as P2, it lasts 3 minutes if stretched so there is no need to burn like your bout to die. Hybrids help healing until the raid is topped off, then start on teh add. Pop all defensive cd's straight out of the lava seing as how with 5-10 debuffs from the lava you will be taking loads more damage. If you insist on doing crackles in P2, start out not doing them because your add tank will need a few tries to get his kite path down and this will also show you how many crackles you should shoot for in P2 ( i.e. - if you keep wiping at 15% then you could shoot for 1 in P2 ).

Our first 10m Nefarian downing was 4 Healing it, with zero Phase 2 crackles.

So if they are 3 healing, they should have plenty of DPS for Crackles in P3

get 3 crackles in p1 then push nef to 61-62% during p2 and burn him the rest od the way in p3.

to get 3 crackles in p1 you dps nef hard and keep 1-2 dps on ony when nef gets to 70% and it says the air crackles blah blah. you kill ony before it goes off then pop tranq/healing CDs and get to pillars.

You don't need to have any electrocutes in phase 2. In fact, you don't need to have any electrocutes at all until phase 3 if your tank knows how to kite properly.

But, seriously, if you can't survive the phase 2 electrocute, just don't make it happen.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

if you really need to push an electrocute in phase 2 make sure to have everyone using some short of survival cd, also things like prot paladin divine sacrifice can buff all 3 platforms, health stones can be used if you are low before electrocute or after to not die to a posible barrage, nature resistance aura from hunter/shaman totems would be a good idea.

also in 10 man you can spread on the pilars very easily making the barrage not splash (range is like 1 yard splash afaik)

but i dont really think pushing electrocute during p2 in 10 man normal mode is needed at all, aslong as your off tank on the adds can manage to get at least 2 resets on them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehea View Post
    ...also in 10 man you can spread on the pilars very easily making the barrage not splash (range is like 1 yard splash afaik)...
    Enough of this please, its been stated and proven countless times that there is no splash from shadow barrage. Stop with all the misinformation people.

Quote Originally Posted by equinocs View Post
    Hello, my guild has had our first night of Nef attempts last week and we are going in tonight to kill him off.

Our healers are definitely shocked by the amount of damage during phase 2 when crackle/electrocute comes out. There are couple of attempts where everyone came out alive and some where 2-3 people have died.

I read this particularly strat and was wondering if anyone has tried it and if it is actually viable. The strat is...

Once phase 2 starts, everyone goes to their designated platforms as usual. 3/3/4 people per pillar. Keeping up ALL interrupts, DPS 2 of the adds and keep one alive. After 2 adds are dead, people who have downed their add all SWIM to the platform with the add that is still alive. The point of doing this is to keep everyone stacked up so aoe heals can be used efficiently.

Any thoughts? the original poster of this strat said they made crackle in phase 2 VERY easy.
    This is the exact strat my guild worked the first time we killed it and i would not recommend any other way. Do not listen to these people saying its a stupid strat and shit like that because it works like a charm. Place hunters or dks on the platforms that have to swim as they can negate half if not all of the damage from swimming. This works so well it allows to push 2 if not 3 times during the air phase. FYI we did this in half blues on the fourth of jan.

To negate some of the lame excuses why this isnt good, you get topped off before swimming, you stager the platforms, so platform 2 swims then once they get on the platform, platform 3 swims. The healer(s) on the main platform toss out a heal to those that are swimming as soon as they are in range. Dont have anyone dpsing nef while swimming and then you dont get a crackle, kind of braindead easy to figure that out but since someone brought it up id guess not. Shadow barrage is fine while swimming since u should be topped before swimming and then only be in the lava for about 5 seconds.

This is by far the best strat and has been for every nef 10 kill iv done, i would not do it any other way, iv seen people not even push crackle in p2 and that is by far the dumbest thing you can do. So far all the people here saying that swimming to one platform is stupid and reckless please be quiet unless youv done it because all of you have no idea what the hell your talking about.

Heres how our guild kill him 1shot every week, Firstly we get nef to 70%, then we kill of onyxia just before the energy bar is filled up and we time it so the crackle comes exactly when she dies, so the energy bar doesnt fill, that leaves us with like 10 seconds after the 3rd crackle hits before the lava starts flooding in, so we can get healed up before then, in p2, we dont push a crackle at all, we only just interrupt and kill off adds asap so we can get rid of that phase asap as that is the phase draining our healers the most, some people usual finish off their add before others so they can work on neffy and he will usually be at around 61% when he lands, then we pewpew and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Habbage View Post
    Enough of this please, its been stated and proven countless times that there is no splash from shadow barrage. Stop with all the misinformation people.
    either it splashes, or the ammount of target it hits its random ? i just picked a random 25 man worldoflogs fight and did a quick log query for the spell id of shadowflame barrage and sometimes it was 9 ppl getting hit by barrage within the exact same second and sometimes it was up to 11 within just a few samples

Deleted
    Almost every class has some form of damage reducing cooldown to make a P2 crackle do much less damage, or no damage at all. The people who don't can be put on a platform with someone who can give them an external cooldown.

Mirror of broken images (TB exalted) also reduces magic damage taken by about 40% for 10 seconds every minute - it's a powerful trinket and you should get people to farm it anyway considering how useful it us for many heroic modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rehea View Post
    either it splashes, or the ammount of target it hits its random ? i just picked a random 25 man worldoflogs fight and did a quick log query for the spell id of shadowflame barrage and sometimes it was 9 ppl getting hit by barrage within the exact same second and sometimes it was up to 11 within just a few samples
    I just looked through two of our 10-man Nef kills. 4 targets are hit each time shadowflame barrage is cast. We do not always spread out perfectly. If there were splash damage, more people would've been hit. But, nope, two full logs of 4 people getting hit every single time. It doesn't splash.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    If you can't handle a crackle in phase 2, don't push one.

Simply get him to 75% ish in phase one while burning ony, then zerg the adds in phase 2 while ignoring nef.
    When you get to phase 3, stuff is a lot easier to handle.