Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you actually read threads before you respond to them?

I really wonder sometimes if some people actually read threads before responding to them. I cant count the number of times lately (though I'm sure this isnt anything new) that someone has posted something in a conversation in a thread, only to have someone come back with a response that clearly indicates they did not read the post they are responding to and simply wanted to post something. Obviously this is an open forum for discussions but if you're going to participate in a conversation you really should read the posts you are responding to (especially when quoting them) before adding your two cents.

Why would I do that? What a ridiculous suggestion.
    In fact I only read the title before typing this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps they don't comprehend what they read, or simply wish to use their Troll abilities to their full extent. Even in text form, most people hear what they want to hear.
    Survival is Key

10+ Year Old Account
    you mean to tell me all this time there was text under the title?!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Amazing. You have nothing to do now that people who aren't you have cleared Ulduar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    PS: Pandas are awesome.

Honestly I try and read the thread when it isn't outrageously long. It is somewhat annoying to read through the same response 10 times per thread though I get what you are saying.

And on a side note; Hi from Bronzebeard.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD ATTACK MY ABILITY TO READ! I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU OR YOUR MOTHER THINK YOU ARE BUT I AM OFFENDED AND RABBLERABBLERABBLE!

No, normally I don't. The title says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oajng View Post
    This is the way I see it. Everyone has human rights, and should respect everyone else's human rights. If you consciously hurt anyone you concede your human rights from what you have done. Think of it like pvp flagging.
    I find it so hilarious when people take pure neutrality and a flat tone as anger, hate, or rage.

10+ Year Old Account
    i always read topics even i don't post in it.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

There's no proof either way about demons.

Wait...what?

Oh, of course I read first.

It would have been funnier if the body of your post had nothing to do with your subject line.... Just sayin'.

My favourite takeaway has to be chinese food. To be more specific, honey chilli chicken and fried rice.

Hello I play Holy Pally .....oops ...i have no idea ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqera View Post
    My favourite takeaway has to be chinese food. To be more specific, honey chilli chicken and fried rice.
    Nah, punisher war zone was the best one.

Usually, if I'm going to respond I read at least the first two pages so I can be somewhat up to speed on the topic. Now, am I going to read every single page if it's 20 pages, probably not. If I quote someone I direct my response to whatever I pulled out, and then respond to the OP.

Honestly though, you shouldn't be surprised. How many times have you come across people who just come up out of the blue when you're in a conversation and they butt in (and then attempt to give their input no matter how off it may be)? Happens face to face quite often, it will happen a lot here too.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

I allways read the first post and mostly read all the other posts posted in the thread, unless its a +5 or +10 page thread

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    If I quote someone I direct my response to whatever I pulled out, and then respond to the OP.
    I think this is kinda what I was getting at and I agree with you. I honestly dont have the attention span to read all 20 pages of a thread either unless it is a REALLY interesting thread but if I quote someone, I read what they say and respond accordingly. You see a lot of threads where someone has picked a quote out of a thread with a key word or phrase that caught their attention and just responded without paying any attention to what they were responding to. You're right though, people butt in after only hearing part of a conversation in real life so I suppose it shouldnt surprise me here.

Oh and /wave to FallenSystm

I think frost mages are OP... altho I can uderstand your troubles
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”
    ~G.B. Shaw

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the OP.

See how long the thread is an it's general direction. Decide on value of reading it.

Reply to the OP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dark Intent has nothing to do with the trials and tribulations of the Libyan people.

R.I.P. YARG

If I don't read the entire thing, I at least do some justice by reading the last page(sometimes previous page) so I can contribute something to the actual discussion at hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll skim through a few pages and read thoroughly if something catches my eye, but in a thread over 10 pages I'll simply read the last couple of pages to get an idea of what stage the discussion is at - as they often evolve as the pages go on. Some people might call that going off-topic, I say get a grip, the evolution of discussion is natural in all communication, deal with it.

It really isn't viable to spend an hour reading 25 pages before posting, and it's not necessary either. Of course, reading the OP is vitally important.
    "The truth, my goal."