The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Computer Science

I am 21, and looking to go to University for Computer Science. Has anybody here done this program before? If so, I would like all the info possible please. Thanks

I hope you are getting along well with Calculus.

as the above poster said, you will have to take all levels of calculus, along with calculus based physics while taking the major's courses which include a variety of classes

your best bet would probably be choosing a handfull of schools you would like to attend, then do a little bit of research to find out what courses are needed for bachelor's degree in Computer Science at each school and plan from there

10+ Year Old Account
    Calculus? I studied four years of computer science and never once did I need calculus.

"Computer science" is a very broad term. What parts of computer science specifically are you looking to study? I studied a largely programming based degree (which involved a lot of logic), and in the later years I took up artificial intelligence (symbolic AI is logic-based, statistical or "modern" AI is statistics-based) and computer graphics (very heavily based on algebra and your understanding of vectors and matricies).

If you're looking to complete a degree in programming then your knowledge of mathematics will only need to be minimal. If you're looking to go in to a more specialized field, you'll have to look further in to those fields to find out what kind of knowledge you need from other disciplines.

I would suggest you have a good understanding of basic maths and physics before going in to computer science (I mean the very basics, stuff you'd learn at high school kind of thing). It may not be fully applicable all the time, but the mindset definitely helps.
    Last edited by Sarcasm; 2011-03-09 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Computer Science, as it stands at A&M, is the baseline "coding" class. It requires (if I remeber correctly) 3 years of math PAST the basic requirement of the engineering colleges (calculus 1). Nothing to hard. Your real use of calculus is limited as... you are working on a computer, there's a nifty calculator program 99.9% of computers have, and if that doesn't work, google does. Same with physics, unless you plan on coding a physics engine (and even then, you have something to build off of anyway), the physics is all done for you.

For the courses, you must be good at logic. Hard to explain (IMO), so I wont attempt it. Expect to have a bumpy first semester/year, but after that, it picks up. Good luck if you attempt to pursue the field, and have fun seeing people 3 years younger than you who are 50x better >.<
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I'm a Computer Engineering Major going to Devry.

Math is very important, also having a good tool kit for electronics, and learn the basics of C before C++.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    Calculus? I studied four years of computer science and never once did I need calculus.

"Computer science" is a very broad term. What parts of computer science specifically are you looking to study? I studied a largely programming based degree (which involved a lot of logic), and in the later years I took up artificial intelligence (symbolic AI is logic-based, statistical or "modern" AI is statistics-based) and computer graphics (very heavily based on algebra and your understanding of vectors and matricies).

If you're looking to complete a degree in programming then your knowledge of mathematics will only need to be minimal. If you're looking to go in to a more specialized field, you'll have to look further in to those fields to find out what kind of knowledge you need from other disciplines.

I would suggest you have a good understanding of basic maths and physics before going in to computer science (I mean the very basics, stuff you'd learn at high school kind of thing). It may not be fully applicable all the time, but the mindset definitely helps.
    I studied 4 years of comp sci and while I did little calc in my comp sci core classes I did have to do a lot of it in calc 1, 2, DefEq, Physics 1, and 2. Why? because they were required courses.

So, like others have said, take a look at the ciriculum of the college.

At my school, the Calculus required is Integration and some various Integration applications(think volumes of revolution). Although it's not required, it's probably in your best interest to take a calc class that covers sequences and series. The physics or chemistry required is your introductory(two semesters or three quarters, with various material skipped in both systems) physics dealing with work/energy/netwon's laws/circuit analysis/electricity and magnetism, etc or a standard 3 quarter(2 semester) Chemistry curriculum. Some upper-division stuff is included in what I just mentioned. Regular english/history/other GE stuff. I just took the easiest A I could for the rest of the GE stuff. Then you've probably got a slew of programming, discrete structures, computer architecture, software design, etc.

I dunno how it is for most places, but my school is fairly demanding for computer science and computer engineering(the latter of which has more emphasis on circuits as well, /wrists why didn't I go English or Art). It won't be an easy slide, unless you're really friggin' smart. Tons of kids drop out or switch majors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    At my school, the Calculus required is Integration and some various Integration applications(think volumes of revolution). Although it's not required, it's probably in your best interest to take a calc class that covers sequences and series. The physics or chemistry required is your introductory(two semesters or three quarters, with various material skipped in both systems) physics dealing with work/energy/netwon's laws/circuit analysis/electricity and magnetism, etc or a standard 3 quarter(2 semester) Chemistry curriculum. Some upper-division stuff is included in what I just mentioned. Regular english/history/other GE stuff. I just took the easiest A I could for the rest of the GE stuff. Then you've probably got a slew of programming, discrete structures, computer architecture, software design, etc.

I dunno how it is for most places, but my school is fairly demanding for computer science and computer engineering(the latter of which has more emphasis on circuits as well, /wrists why didn't I go English or Art). It won't be an easy slide, unless you're really friggin' smart. Tons of kids drop out or switch majors.
    This is true, if you are smart, and study hard you will do well, if your a self learner you will do really well, if your a partyer than take sociology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    if your a partyer than take sociology.
    Or visual arts!
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down