Poll: Anime or Manga

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Anime] Do you prefer Anime or Manga?

Do you prefer Anime or Manga? And if Anime, do you prefer Subbed or Dubbed?

Manga is usually released first, and in many cases is more graphic than the Anime.

Subbed Anime (Spoken in Japanese, with English subtitles) is usually released second, often contains more content than the manga (called filler episodes/arks), and is animated.

Dubbed Anime (Spoken in English) is usually released the last. It has the same benefits as the Subbed version, though some of the dialogue has to be changed so that the English translation matches the movement of the characters mouth, which is in Japanese.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about "Neither" in your poll. Both are overdone and lost their appeal. I used to like 80's and early 90's anime (Starblazers, Robotech, Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/etc, Patlabor) and have never liked Manga.

I like subbed anime! =) They always pick bad voices for dubbed...

Deleted
    Subbed Anime for sure. Just sounds off when its in another language, tough there are some who are fine when English dubbed.
    Reading manga sometimes to, but i just prefer Anime overall.

i pref anime
    i just love the japaness voices even tho i dont understand what they say =p
    but that is where subs is handy =D

10+ Year Old Account
    subbed anime, can't stand dubbed episodes and if it's a good anime i'll read the manga too
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Manga is what I like a lot more, typically more graphic without all of the censorship laws about blood on TV in Japan. Subbed anime comes next, although I rarely watch anime, and I never, ever watch dubbed anime.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

I mostly watch subs but i have nothing against dubs. Some dubs i like better than japanese voice acting and others simply just watch.

As far as manga, I don't read it. I like the visuals, voice acting etc than anime brings. Results in a better viewing experience and shows, imo, are sorta best experienced when your seeing it for the first time. Downside is manga usually has more content from what i hear.
    Last edited by Sorx; 2011-03-09 at 07:19 PM.

dubbed anime if its good, like Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakusho. The dubs on here are actually better than the origins. Why would anyone listen to Japanese unless they can actually understand it?

Subbed Anime, unless it's Toonami Dub quality!

Manga, when I want to REALLY get into the story, for Manga has more content than Anime.

I prefer manga, I used to watch subbed anime all the time, but I started to want to actually know about plots/stories and backgrounds instead of just watching fights and such. Not to mention sometimes the anime is just way off from the manga that I can't watch it (e.g. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Soul Eater, etc.)

Although, when I'm in the mood I'll watch subbed anime like Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, erm...Ouran High School Host Club? Lol, like I said, I don't watch a lot these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    How about "Neither" in your poll. Both are overdone and lost their appeal. I used to like 80's and early 90's anime (Starblazers, Robotech, Bubblegum Crisis/Crash/etc, Patlabor) and have never liked Manga.
    I assumed those choosing neither wouldn't have bothered going to this thread.

Deleted
    I prefer subbed anime over dubbed anime mostly because the English voice actors are usually way worse than the Japanese ones. I'm also used to reading subtitles (lots of subbed American movies here), so reading subs requires pretty much zero effort.

I read some manga as well, but I don't think they really beat the voiced and animated experience (depending on the manga/anime, of course).

I personally like mangas better because you never have to deal with crappy fillers and the story moves along at a very good pace.
    I like the action in animes better generally, but they sometimes add in abilities or actions that are just dumb or just there to make the fight longer.
    Lastly, I will NEVER watch dubbed anime. All of the mangas/animes I have read/watched had the characters end up sounding like little kids or just very wrong or dumb when they were in english.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

Deleted
    i like both, prefer sub anime

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Outlaw Star fall into any of those ;\?
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    dubbed anime if its good, like Cowboy Bebop or Yu Yu Hakusho. The dubs on here are actually better than the origins. Why would anyone listen to Japanese unless they can actually understand it?
    Because 90% of english dubbing is utter trash, for one. (Yes, Cowboy Bebop is an exception, obviously.) And yeah, I can't understand Japanese but that isn't to say I can't enjoy the language. I love the way it sounds and just because I'm not fluent doesn't mean tones of anger, sadness, and sarcasm all fly over my head. The meaning and the delivery are what's important, not the language.
    Look! Words!

I prefer Manga, you can read at your own pace and don't have to wait for the protagonists to talk/do a single move/scream for full 5 minutes. Watch dragonball and you know what i mean. But i must say i LOVED it when i watched it, but that is quite a while ago, don't have the patience for anime anymore :|
    Oh and while the dubbed versions suck most of the times (and believe me, you think the english ones are bad watch it in german) the original voices really don't fit sometimes imho. I just hate Luffys "real" voice but i guess that's just my opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer subbed Anime

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to read a lot more manga simply because a) I love comic books in general, and b) it takes a lot less time to read a few chapters of a manga than it does to watch an equivalent amount of anime.

Sub vs Dub:
    The days of god awful dubbing are long gone for the most part. This isn't the 90s. Dubbing has gotten a lot better over the years, to the point where I sometimes think the english voice acting is better than the japanese.

That being said, even if I do watch the dub I'll usually watch it with the subtitles on as well, given the option. The dubs tend to change or leave out things that don't fit well into the pacing of the dialog. It's usually not anything major but it's still interesting to see the differences.