Am I an Old School Healer...

I use Vuhdo as my healing mod (which is pretty modern) and I am comfortable using Vuhdo, Healbot, or Grid (because they all look pretty much the same)... My personal preference is Vuhdo.

So check out the following and let me know if I am Old School, and secondly if I should _change it up_ a bit !
    (Vuhdo)
    Right mouse click = Holy Light
    Left mouse click = Target
    Alt= Cleanse

My Keybinding settings are as follows (and I use left click to target raid members on the Vuhdo grid)
    ~ = Word of Glory
    1= Holy Shock
    2= Flash of Light
    3= Divine Light
    4= Judgment
    5= Holy Radiance
    Q= Light of Dawn (Q is easy to hit because its right below the 1 button)
    Shift+1 = Beacon of Light
    Also, F1= Divine Plea, F2=Divine Favor, F3= Avenging wrath, F4 (trinket if applicable)

And that's the basic stuff. I have other key bindings which arn't necessary to put down. I was going to put a screen shot of my UI, but I didn't want this post to get off topic.
    *I just wanted to know if there is a more efficient way of using my Healing Mod as a Pally healer (with all these new heals), or is _healing it up Old School_ the norm? I am always up for trying out something new.

Deleted
    personally i just map out all my heals to mouse clicks, so there isn't the click to target -> press heal button delay
    i have 5 buttons on my mouse, and i assigned all my heals to those using ctrl + click and shift+ click combinations.

on my keyboard buttons i put other usefull spells like DP, judgement, CS, LoD, HR,...

but yeah if ur comfortable with ur healing setup thats just fine too, ur always a better healer if your comfortable with ur own layout

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IshimaruSR View Post
    but yeah if ur comfortable with ur healing setup thats just fine too, ur always a better healer if your comfortable with ur own layout
    This. Dont worry so much about how to do it, as long as you know it works for you.
    I do as the above poster, mainly.
    Assign all to mouse clicks on the grid.

You are doing it old school and you should switch. If you are using a healing addon or even the default raid/party frames, there is no reason to actually click on a person and then cast a heal. That will always be slower and therefore inferior to using either mousebinds in Vuhdo or at least mouseover macros. Even if the difference in response time is only a fraction of a second, there is no reason that you cannot do your utmost to fulfill your role. While I am sure there still a lot of healers that do it the old school way, they are most definitely in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuccoyote265 View Post
    You are doing it old school and you should switch. If you are using a healing addon or even the default raid/party frames, there is no reason to actually click on a person and then cast a heal. That will always be slower and therefore inferior to using either mousebinds in Vuhdo or at least mouseover macros. Even if the difference in response time is only a fraction of a second, there is no reason that you cannot do your utmost to fulfill your role. While I am sure there still a lot of healers that do it the old school way, they are most definitely in the minority.
    This guy is assuming that you can become comfortable with a "modern" healing method fairly easily. Yes, there's a slight delay between clicking the target and pressing the heal, but there's a substantially higher delay if your fingers don't have equivalent muscle memory to what you've developed using your current setup. That's not to say that you shouldn't try it, I'm a huge fan of binding heals to my mouse, but make sure that you're at least as comfortable using a mouseover or mousebutton based setup as you are with your current healing method.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinwell View Post
    This guy is assuming that you can become comfortable with a "modern" healing method fairly easily. Yes, there's a slight delay between clicking the target and pressing the heal, but there's a substantially higher delay if your fingers don't have equivalent muscle memory to what you've developed using your current setup. That's not to say that you shouldn't try it, I'm a huge fan of binding heals to my mouse, but make sure that you're at least as comfortable using a mouseover or mousebutton based setup as you are with your current healing method.
    Actually I was assuming that he meant it when he asked if it would make him a better healer and that he was up for trying something new. I also assumed that he would realize that there would be a learning curve and wouldn't try to convert over right before a raid, but instead would take a few hours/days to learn the new system. I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that he meant what he said and that he would be intelligent about it, but I always try to imagine that people can rise to occasion.

I would add a couple of other healing spells to your left and right clicks by assigning them to Shift-L and Shifr-R clicks, and Ctrl-L and R clicks, simply for convenience and reaction time.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are adamant that everyone heal a certain way. I'm not really one of those people because as long as someone is effecient at what they do, the odds and ends of their ui don't concern me unless they're clicking their binds from their action bar. Terrible. Anyway, I think you may find it more intuitive to use mouse-overs to heal. Instead of clicking on your target, then hitting your hotkey, you just place your cursor over their name on your frames, then hit your spell.

And yeah, like the poster above me said, if you're looking to change your binds I would strongly recommend switching over to more mouse-based binds. Shift/click, ctrl/click, etc. I myself use this and find it very comfortable to heal with on all of my healers. A bonus to healing this way is that you free up your other binds for offensive/utility spells.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2011-03-09 at 10:26 PM.
    Look! Words!

Blah blah blah. Who cares how other people have their shit set up? Do what you're comfortable with. If it works, it works.

My only question, is why isn't HL on your bars? If anything, FoL's the one I've been considering removing.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Blah blah blah. Who cares how other people have their shit set up? Do what you're comfortable with. If it works, it works.

My only question, is why isn't HL on your bars? If anything, FoL's the one I've been considering removing.
    Probably because RMC is HL in his setup.

OT: I've done it both ways. When I switched to full mouse binds + keybinds for cds, I noticed an improvement in my response time. If you're comfortable learning a new way, the mousebinds are considerably faster. Mouseover macros can accomplish much the same thing. I prefer to always have my movement hand free to move around if I need it.

Do what works for you, but try both before you make a decision.

I'm with everyone else in that do what works for you. The only suggestion that I have that works well for me (i also use vuhdo) is that i make mousewheel my targetting so i can use mouse clicks for heals and cleanse

15+ Year Old Account
    1 = Holy Shock
    2 = Flash of Light
    3 = Holy Light
    4 = Divine Light
    5 = Word of Glory
    R = Light of Dawn
    T = Holy Radiance
    ½ = Judgement

F1 = Avenging Wrath
    F2 = Divine Favor
    F3 = Guardian of the Ancient Kings
    F4 = Hand of Sacrifice

http://s.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw49298.jpg

Just gotta through this out there, i have 5 keybinds and i click mostly everything as well as use no mouse overs, and i can assure u that i can heal circles around u :]

With the way things are right now I don't even think it will make a difference. I'd imagine most people are casting at close to 2 seconds, which is plenty of time to already have your next target picked out and your button spammed. It's not like wrath where near the end of it you were trying to keep up with 1.2 second casts.

EDIT: On top of my post rests troll bait, nothing to see there folks.

Thanks for the help and feedback.... Vuhdo is a mouse over mod. But you also have the oppurtunity to target the person first. Somtimes I keep the tank targeted. Sometimes I keep no one targeted and just right click on people's grid boxes. Anyways, I am going to try out more mouse bindings and see how that works, rather than pressing 1-5 on keyboard.