Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

[Priest] State of Holy - 4.1.0

It's that time again. Alright, another patch, and what changed for us:
    Continuing the trend of the past thread here, let's see what changed?
    Start with:
    • Inner Will and Inner Fire now last until cancelled, which really makes absolutely no change whatsoever, but okay.
    • Holy Word: Sanctuary now looks different.
    • Surge of Light now triggers off of Binding Heal as well, so should be seeing higher uptime than it already is. Hurray!
    • Dispel Magic now only removes one buff offensively, down from two. PvP nerf.
    • Chakra now lasts until cancelled. Because apparently Blizzard likes to cater to people wanting a stupid stance mechanic. Expect future nerfs incoming, to "balance" this.

I dunno, what's your take?
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-03-10 at 05:19 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

kel. i am happy you are back.

anyway.
    the change to chakra (permanent till cancel) is just making me more happily to stay as holy. the spec just feel really solid compared to disc. i haven't played disc seriously since wrath and honestly im feeling very at home with holy now!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

The stance mechanic has me wanting to go Discipline, to be honest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    The stance mechanic has me wanting to go Discipline, to be honest.
    Why? Is it because you are foreseeing a nerf to Chakra? Or is it only because you liked the way it is now. If it's the second, I really don't see any difference with the current state.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy they took away the Chakra duration. Having to refresh it really didn't add any flavor/"concentrated coolness"/difficulty in my opinion...it was just an annoyance. From my understanding of how this has played out, I'm fairly sure Chakra did not end up being what Blizzard wanted it to be. Them removing the duration just reinforced my belief I guess.

I'm enjoying the Inner Will/Inner Fire change as well.

All-in-all, it's best to just enjoy the good little things!
    There is no gene for the human spirit. ~GATTACA

Quote Originally Posted by Chopard View Post
    Why? Is it because you are foreseeing a nerf to Chakra? Or is it only because you liked the way it is now. If it's the second, I really don't see any difference with the current state.
    To be honest, I liked the 30/30 way that it was. We could sustain it as long as we needed, casting the spells we were supposed to be casting, and then change on a moment's notice.

We could even let Chakra "almost" drop off, by casting Prayers in Serenity or single target heals in Sanctuary, and still build it back up to a decent duration without forcing a reset, or worrying about being "on cooldown" when you should be changing.

I dunno, I really liked the 30/30 model with the original state of mind. This is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by avestren
    Having to refresh it really didn't add any flavor/"concentrated coolness"/difficulty in my opinion
    Under the 60/30 implementation, it didn't add anything except inconvenience, because you had to know 45 seconds in advance whether or not you needed to change again. Under the 30/30 one with State of Mind, it felt like you were rewarded for doing the job you were supposed to be. It almost made "Time in Chakra" a second Resource of its own for Holy, one that you could potentially "spend" with Holy Words or just higher output.

I'm enjoying the Inner Will/Inner Fire change as well.
    They're already 30 minutes. They cost 0 mana. There is no difference realistically between now and then.

My question is. I remember right when 4.1 PTR was coming out I saw a change to body and soul which drastically reduced it's speed increase effect. I thought it might be a tooltip error though. Any idea if this change is still slated to go in?

Quote Originally Posted by pVVn3c| View Post
    My question is. I remember right when 4.1 PTR was coming out I saw a change to body and soul which drastically reduced it's speed increase effect. I thought it might be a tooltip error though. Any idea if this change is still slated to go in?
    I remember seeing that it was a tooltip error, and would not actually be a change that would be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by pVVn3c| View Post
    Blue Posts gave us the "Not going to happen", as a false datamine (hey, they happen). So it's safe to say that it's not going in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Under the 60/30 implementation, it didn't add anything except inconvenience, because you had to know 45 seconds in advance whether or not you needed to change again. Under the 30/30 one with State of Mind, it felt like you were rewarded for doing the job you were supposed to be. It almost made "Time in Chakra" a second Resource of its own for Holy, one that you could potentially "spend" with Holy Words or just higher output.
    Actually I think 60/60 is better. It rewards knowing the encounter beforehand. Also, sometimes 30/30 forced you to cast not the best spell just to keep chakra for a few more seconds.

Anyway, the change I'll enjoy the most will be the 100% pushback protection on hymns. Most of the times preshielding yourself wasn't enough to ensure a full-tick hymn.

Awesome. I was worried for a while. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopard View Post
    Actually I think 60/60 is better. It rewards knowing the encounter beforehand. Also, sometimes 30/30 forced you to cast not the best spell just to keep chakra for a few more seconds.
    It was never 60/60. I was referring to duration/cooldown. Now it's Unlimited/30. And under the 60/30 implementation, you were actually forced to cast sub-par heals at inopportune times more often than under 30/30, just the way that the refresh mechanic worked.

Anyway, the change I'll enjoy the most will be the 100% pushback protection on hymns. Most of the times preshielding yourself wasn't enough to ensure a full-tick hymn.
    It's more of a Shadow thing than Holy/Discipline, but I guess it's a benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chakra was never really all that much of a choice anyway. If you were raid healing, you were in sanctuary. If you were tank healing, you were in serenity. If something drastic occured that forced you to switch, or the encounter needs did (i.e. nefarian phase 2), you had plenty of times to know when to switch.

So i have no problem with it just lasting as long as you want it to. It basically did anyway.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

I assume that chakra will still have a 30 second CD so I don't think you can switch "stances" at will. If not, there would have been an announced change to the "state of mind" talent also.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am going to have to agree with the having more fun with the 30/30 mechanic and the old State of Mind talent. It felt more like you had more to watch and chose between extending the duration or having to re-enter Chakra.

This is about 4.1 though so alas, I will stop dreaming about the good ol' days! The new way of Chakra just seems dumbed down. "Hey we noticed that having it for 60 seconds still requires you to pay attention. Sorry, here let us fix that!" I know it's not exactly how it works, but that's just how it appears to me. Will I enjoy having 100% up on my 4pc(when I get it )? Yes I will. Do I feel sorry for my off-spec, Discipline, who's 4pc requires thinking? Yes I do. I am confused as to why this even needed a change to begin with.

The Hymn thing is nice though, even if it more applies to shadow. I hated seeing that last tic of Hymn get missed because of something broke my shield at the last second. Not to many big changes though and no nerfs so I can't really complain.
    Last edited by Zodisius; 2011-03-10 at 06:43 AM. Reason: nvm
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    Chakra basically was lasting forever in 4.0.6 form anyway. The change to make it indefinite is not a huge step up. What they do need to do however is slightly tune Sanctuary to be a bit more impressive. The ability could be straight up removed and we would still be in the stance for AoE healing. I still think the best idea for it is to allow Sanctuary to cause our Mastery to "roll" on anyone affected by it, like it did when mastery was first introduced. Once the Sanctuary wears off, the last few ticks of Echoes goes away and everything is back to normal. Would be a fairly decent buff but would add a bit more power to Mastery as right now I think Haste wins out by a decent bit.

Deleted
    Chakra's all the time? cool...i like it

I hope they remove the sound effect thou...i always cast my heals ASAP..only to get rid of the sound

15+ Year Old Account
    You should mention Divine Hymn and Hymn of Hope being immune to pushback.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    * A dead player can now be resurrected by targeting them using the Party or Raid Frame even if they have released. No more hunting for corpses.
    This change is the best change ever. Not strictly holy specific, but you know

Regarding the Chakra change, I really don't care too much either way. Less hassle I guess. As far as throughput goes, it's not going to change one bit.

the divine hymn thing is nice, now just bring it up to par with the druid's tranq healing and mana cost... and before they ask for a tank CD we want a battle res...

inner fire and inner will I agree is a useless change.

the chakra state is feel is unessisary unless they are freeing up points most of us have by dumping state of mind (useless) and tome of light which is also worthless unless you are tank healing in tens sometimes. (sanctuary is nearly an hps loss just on the gcd, and a mana sucker)

so.. they are tossing in the towel on the failed chakra components? great.... personally I like current state of it, if only our sanc circle was worth a flying shit. (mine ticks for what 270? and a shammys healing rain is 2500-3000.? great. basically stand in healing circles means if you have a bad priest there may be a bright white thing he shouldn't have casted, or a druid who swiftmended a tank, or there is that blue shit that is most of a shammy's healing.

as it stands it works, lets see what they slip in on the sly near the end of the ptr....
    Last edited by mrcontribution; 2011-03-10 at 08:45 AM.