Trying to mana burn resto shamans

Ok so I play disc/ret, can usually win mana battles with other priests, think I play smart enough with pillars around my ~1700 rating but I struggle against good resto shamans. If my ret can't kill their DPS (regularly enough even with mind spike etc, I play quite offensively) within a fear/rep or fear/3-4 second MC combo we struggle to win the mana battle. Every mana burn is wind sheared and then he jumps out of LoS, glyphed fear is either trinketed or tremor'd.. we played a 40 minute blergh match against hunter/rsham the other day with me getting off 2 whole mana burns, with wind shear, scatter or silencing shot interrupting every damn cast.

Anyway, tips? What we were trying to do with the hunter/rsham team at least was have my ret sit on the sham and I'd dispel water shield and try and fear/mana burn to drain him, but his hunter was pretty alive to it and controlled me pretty well. But more broadly, I suppose I could try to juke the wind shear but it seems a bit pointless. Maybe I'm missing something, I haven't been playing disco for that long.

Heres a tip, dont rely on mana burn to win your matches. If you can only win when a healer lets you freely spam mana burn than you dont even belong at 1700 and that should be a clear sign that the spell needs to be removed from the game. You and your partner need to find other ways to win, every other healer/dps combo has to, why should you be any different.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

water shield is free to recast. spending thousands of mana to dispel a no CD instant cast 0 mana buff that dispels 1 charge at a time and also is still giving them mana procs before you can dispel it is the definition of a losing, uphill battle.

only real way you'll oom a shaman is to sit on his dps, try to get burns off (yeah, you probably wont) keep him from drinking and kill mana tide. you should be able to set up some fear -> burns or repentance/hoj -> burns though if you coordinate. tremor is now a 1 min CD, trinket is 2 min.... your CD's are much shorter.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If [the dps] are on the wrong target, then they are playing badly and should be corrected and / or mocked, depending on how you roll.

if your ret is on the hunter, try and force the hunter to LOS the shaman so he has to stop pillar humping and get a solid cast off. if you get the shaman out in the open, remember you can use inner focus to block wind shear while getting ~2 burns off.
    you can always get your pally to HoJ him when hes in the open, again giving you a chance to burn. if he trinkets this, then once tremor totem is on cooldown you've got 6 seconds to burn off. PI + burn can make that more efficient....remember you can dispel ghostwolf if hes kiting your pally

silly answer, mana burn is a good mechanic to win a match
    You need to fake burns, fear and burn, mc to get their dps low and then burn, the key to beat a resto shaman is fake burn fake burn fake burn fake burn to avoid the WS.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's unlikely that you're going to kill a target that has earth shield on it unless they mess up, a swap to the target without ES on while preventing the shaman from moving it to the kill target through CC. A good shaman won't let you burn him unless he's CC'd.

Faking a 2+ second cast doesn't really work... Nobody interrupts early enough that is any good. typically they wait until the last second to shear

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, my experience as a warrior trying to kill resto shamman/insert class here, is to constantly switch and force the shaman to switch Earth shield alot. Thats the only way i've ever been able to oom a shaman. Though if your ret puts out enough damage you guys should be able to force the shaman to have to come out of LoS to get heals off. Though hunters are slippery things, and its very easy to kite a ret pally

Heres a tip, dont rely on mana burn to win your matches. If you can only win when a healer lets you freely spam mana burn than you dont even belong at 1700 and that should be a clear sign that the spell needs to be removed from the game. You and your partner need to find other ways to win, every other healer/dps combo has to, why should you be any different.
    This is just dumb. We win enough matches for our rating, surprisingly, we get a lot of kills on dps/healer teams, but if we can't get enough damage out during a good 12+ second cc chain then trying to drain your way to a win is the next best thing. If I listen to mongoloids like you, I should just leave arena if we don't win in the first 2 minutes? Obviously no one lets me freecast, but there's plenty of ways to manipulate a situation to get the the odd burn off, that's what I'm looking for.

water shield is free to recast. spending thousands of mana to dispel a no CD instant cast 0 mana buff that dispels 1 charge at a time and also is still giving them mana procs before you can dispel it is the definition of a losing, uphill battle.
    Thanks, didn't know it was free to recast. Obviously bad idea.

you can always get your pally to HoJ him when hes in the open, again giving you a chance to burn. if he trinkets this, then once tremor totem is on cooldown you've got 6 seconds to burn off. PI + burn can make that more efficient....remember you can dispel ghostwolf if hes kiting your pally
    More things I didn't know. Thanks

hmm, my experience as a warrior trying to kill resto shamman/insert class here, is to constantly switch and force the shaman to switch Earth shield alot. Thats the only way i've ever been able to oom a shaman. Though if your ret puts out enough damage you guys should be able to force the shaman to have to come out of LoS to get heals off. Though hunters are slippery things, and its very easy to kite a ret pally
    Yep, and we couldn't get enough pressure on the hunter before freedom etc was on cd again and he'd just kite my ret all day. It did get the shammy out in the open but barely enough, and I was burning a lot of mana keeping up.

Faking a 2+ second cast doesn't really work... Nobody interrupts early enough that is any good. typically they wait until the last second to shear
    Not so much at this rating. I've found shit's pretty easy to juke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Someone is MAD.

as people have been saying u can get free burns off between cc