finishin up new build tomorrow. what will windiwos do?

I took the advice of the forums and got a p8p67 dlx with an i5 2500k but am afraid of how it is going to work on first boot. I am using my old hard drive and have heard that windows imprints to the motherboard. I am running a retail version of win7 home. Not sure if this makes a diffrence. All I have left to do is mount ny new cpu and mobo to my Coolermaster HAF 932 but do not want to have a brick or be stuck on hold in india. Am I over worrying this problem or does this only apply to OEM versions?

Worry about it after its an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on how drastic the hardware change is, Windows flat won't boot. Or it could boot, and spit out a ton of errors. You won't brick your computer, you will still be able to get to the BIOS, but I can almost bet that windows isn't going to work properly. I say this from personal experience.

When you change hardware, the best thing to do is reinstall windows. Backup everything you have onto another computer, CD, DVD, whatever you need, then reinstall. Windows will set itself up to use your new hardware, and not have all of your old hardware's drivers, software, etc causing any issues.

As for being on hold to india...windows registration is all automated now :-) As a matter of fact, it's so automated that I have the same exact copy of windows registered to 6 different computers lol.

You won't be able to boot first of all, since Windows will have the controller drivers for the other motherboard installed and not the current motherboard.

Whenever you do a motherboard swap(except a straight replacement for the same one) It's ALWAYS recommended to re-install Windows.
    It's possible to make it work as it is, but not really a good idea.

Wait, are you trying to just put the old harddrive in the new system without reinstalling?

You'll have to format your hard drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does he really have to format? Can't he just do a repair or re-install while booting from the windows disc?

If he does format, he only needs to format the boot partition and can leave the rest of his partitions in tact right?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmon View Post
    Does he really have to format? Can't he just do a repair or re-install while booting from the windows disc?

If he does format, he only needs to format the boot partition and can leave the rest of his partitions in tact right?
    No he doesn't, people just love to give false info here. Only OEM windows is tied to the motherboard you had when you installed it. It's perfectly possible that your windows will just boot normally even after new components, or it might not. If you want to have better chances to do it, uninstall all the drivers for the components you have removed, including chipset drivers etc. That way it's actually more than likely to be able to boot normally into windows.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 08:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You won't be able to boot first of all, since Windows will have the controller drivers for the other motherboard installed and not the current motherboard.

Whenever you do a motherboard swap(except a straight replacement for the same one) It's ALWAYS recommended to re-install Windows.
    It's possible to make it work as it is, but not really a good idea.
    Those drivers can be uninstalled just like any other, duh.

Thanks for the great information guys. Sorry about the typos my thumbs are big and posting from my droid. I can not wait to get this up my first build since 97. (Just been buying heel boxes and thriughing video cards in for a while.) I think I am going to do a back up onto my external of everything I need to keep for school and work and then see what happens tomorrow. I dread a full reinstall and am not even sure where my windows 7 dvd is, but it really is needed to clean out the cobwebs.

Tommorrows post to tell you all what happens will be from.
    case: cooler master HAF 932.
    Mobo: P8P67 deluxe.
    CPU: i5 2500k with stock cooler. Not going to o.c yet.
    GPU: xfx 4850 ( don't have the funds to upgrade et)
    Ram: 4gb hyper x 1600. ( adding 4 mire when I get my tax return)
    HHD: crappy old one( waitng for new ssd, to come out and push prices down)

Thanks again. For the suggestions in my first post and the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    No he doesn't, people just love to give false info here. Only OEM windows is tied to the motherboard you had when you installed it. It's perfectly possible that your windows will just boot normally even after new components, or it might not. If you want to have better chances to do it, uninstall all the drivers for the components you have removed, including chipset drivers etc. That way it's actually more than likely to be able to boot normally into windows.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 08:55 AM ----------

Those drivers can be uninstalled just like any other, duh.
    That's not the issue. The issue is the new drivers will NOT be installed, so when Windows does its initial boot, like a second or two, everything is fine. But once it tries to start the drivers for the controller that the boot drive is on, and they aren't the ones for the new controller, it will Blue Screen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That's not the issue. The issue is the new drivers will NOT be installed, so when Windows does its initial boot, like a second or two, everything is fine. But once it tries to start the drivers for the controller that the boot drive is on, and they aren't the ones for the new controller, it will Blue Screen.
    That may have been the case for Windows 3.1 and 95 but I've done this kind of stuff with XP, Vista and Windows 7, never had a problem

IF it does blue screen...so what? It doesn't hurt trying out something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    No he doesn't, people just love to give false info here. Only OEM windows is tied to the motherboard you had when you installed it.
    Speaking of false info... No, OEM version is not tied to anything either, except on paper. You are allowed to upgrade your computer parts even if it's OEM operating system.

I have ran same copy of OEM Win7 x64 in a 5 year old laptop and two totally different custom AMD builds (one 4 years old one 2 years old) without any kind of issues. Activation goes through automagically without it being tied to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by dahmer View Post
    That may have been the case for Windows 3.1 and 95 but I've done this kind of stuff with XP, Vista and Windows 7, never had a problem
    Never had Win7 or XP boot from old HDD after changing motherboard. It would always bluescreen, even in safe mode, and require reinstall.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-03-11 at 08:52 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Never had Win7 or XP boot from old HDD after changing motherboard. It would always bluescreen, even in safe mode, and require reinstall.
    Been able to, boot a former desktop installation on a laptop... and then boot it back again on that same desktop. Double check to make sure there aren't bios setting missmatches.

In particular, swapping between AHCI/RAID mode and IDE mode often causes boot related bluescreens - and its easy to forget to check it. Keep in mind a lot of motherboards default to IDE, wheras most properly configured systems should be running in AHCI. If windows isn't configured to expect the upcoming setting prior to its shut down - it will often fail to load.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-03-11 at 03:24 PM.

Ok so I needed to Buy a DVD-rom drive today because i failed to take into account that the P8 boards do not have IDE cable support and my old DVD burner was really old, and did not have SATA support.

After hooking everything up i got a good POST and then windows started to load. I was like Sweet, " no 4 hours of reinstalling driver, windows updates and WOW" then i got a blue screen so fast that i could not even real it. When i Opened the supporting Doc's from ASUS it mentioned that there was a work around for this but i coudl not figure out how to load the file whiel i could not load windows on my computer so i just Formated my HHD and started fresh.

So far no problems, 10 more minutes and all the drivers for the board and stuff should be loaded.

If he has the controller manufacturers drivers installed, and the new board's controller does not use those drivers, it WILL blue screen. If it's using Microsoft's basic drivers, then yeah, maybe it will boot. The only time I use MSAHCI though, is when AMD has their thumbs up their arses and doesn't enable TRIM in the drivers.

And yes, i've experienced this, it can and will Bluescreen if the proper drivers are not installed for the controller the boot device is on.

Yes windows has those drivers, but if you use different drivers, like say Intel RST for Intel chipsets, the basic Microsoft drivers are available, but not installed.

Either way, it's always highly recommended to reinstall with a new motherboard in any case.