Discipline Mastery Soft Cap math

Now I have been reading a lot of info about how theres a "soft cap" of mastery that prevents DA from being stacked over a certain cap. I have seen multiple formula's that determine it, but no universal opinion about which one is right, anyone have any info about it?

DA can't exceed 20% of the priests max hp, which should be about 26k

basically, you will not encounter many situations where the cap is of any relevance. there was pre-4.06 halfus hc, where an atonementpriest with glyph of smite could exceed the cap with about 1300 mastery rating, but after the change in the fight mechanic, atonement priest are used less frequently there. besides, most atonementpriest don't use the glyph of smite (now, will be standard in 4.1 ofc), as your hps will be less smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by notanarrogantwizard View Post

basically, you will not encounter many situations where the cap is of any relevance. there was pre-4.06 halfus hc, where an atonementpriest with glyph of smite could exceed the cap with about 1300 mastery rating, but after the change in the fight mechanic, atonement priest are used less frequently there. besides, most atonementpriest don't use the glyph of smite (now, will be standard in 4.1 ofc), as your hps will be less smooth.
    Ok so would it be beneficial to only stack enough mastery to get a 26k ish DA and anything after that is useless?

Deleted
    disc is only an occasional offspec but I've definately hd 55kish DA shields recently, which would assume the 20% cap isn't really a 20% cap, is it just a higher %? or % of the target? or maybe the cap scales with mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    disc is only an occasional offspec but I've definately hd 55kish DA shields recently, which would assume the 20% cap isn't really a 20% cap, is it just a higher %? or % of the target? or maybe the cap scales with mastery?
    It scales with mastery, I can stack DA anywhere from 50-60k depending on what gear set I'm in. Not that it matters you'll never get DA that high in any environment unless you're just extremely lucky.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Oh, okay...didn't know about the mastery scaling there (being a shadowpriest ). Well, then it's even less worth to be thought about, you will never reach it in a normal raid environment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by notanarrogantwizard View Post
    It was updated in 4.0.6 to 40% of the casting priest's HP, so more like 52k.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercat View Post
    It scales with mastery, I can stack DA anywhere from 50-60k depending on what gear set I'm in. Not that it matters you'll never get DA that high in any environment unless you're just extremely lucky.
    It does not scale with mastery, the cap is purely off HP.

In real terms you'll never hit the cap as you'd have to be landing 100k heals with huge mastery to even get close.

15+ Year Old Account
    The cap is only enforced if there was already another DA on the target, in other words, if you can land a single crit that is so high that it exceeds the cap, the absorb will be above the cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    The cap is only enforced if there was already another DA on the target, in other words, if you can land a single crit that is so high that it exceeds the cap, the absorb will be above the cap.
    This is not true - the cap is always enforced, regardless of the size of the incoming heal. I found a couple of instances of this in a 4.0.3 V&T log:

[20:12:10.455] Ferin Greater Heal Harathar +*2687* (O: 93680)
    [20:12:11.232] Harathar gains Divine Aegis from Ferin (Remaining: 33166)

[20:15:04.236] Ferin Greater Heal Harathar +*29959* (O: 58953)
    [20:15:05.032] Harathar gains Divine Aegis from Ferin (Remaining: 33166)

Notice that in both cases the DA caps off at the same value, even though the heal amounts are significantly different (96367 and 88912 respectively). Also those are DA gains with no existing DA - WoL reports DA as "refreshed" if you add to an existing DA, instead of gained.

The cap will never actually be relevant during a fight. If you can land a heal big enough to get a 50+ DA up then your mastery would need to be something like 150% of the heal. Seems a little silly to worry about.

The cap exists so you cant stack DA to 9999999999999999 on everybody in your raid before a pull and then just poh every 10 seconds to keep it maintained thereby one shotting every boss in existance after 30 minutes of "prep."

I suppose fights with huge healing modifiers could hit this cap, but on a fight like that you'd expect some sort of hp modifier as well (ozumat) or something like VDW in icc.

Someone should try to hit the cap in one heal on a dk with vamp blood + gracex3 + GS imo, for funsies.