Thread: Fraps

Deleted

Fraps

Playing around with fraps atm, trying to find proper settings without causing any noticable fps drops, some help would be nice.

My set up is GTX 570, I5 2500K @ 4.7 Ghz, 120GB SDD for WoW/Windows, recording on a seperate 1 TB Samsung Spinnpoint F3.

When at all ultra settings and fraps settings at 60 fps record, fullsize with sound I notice fps drops to around 40-50fps when flying around Stormwind auction house.

Complete newbie at frapsing, what settings should I set? I want it to be stable 60 fps if possible, maybe I need to go down on my WoW video settings like shadow?

What fraps settings/computer do you record on? Please show your footage aswell ;-)

Please let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaster View Post
    When at all ultra settings and fraps settings at 60 fps record, fullsize with sound I notice fps drops to around 40-50fps when flying around Stormwind auction house.

Complete newbie at frapsing, what settings should I set? I want it to be stable 60 fps if possible, maybe I need to go down on my WoW video settings like shadow?
    Too slow HDD, around 40-50fps is the maximum you can cap on regular 7200rpm mechanical disc. Doesn't really matter anyway for most people since 30fps is the maximum youtube supports. Only way to get higher framerate for capture is to record on 10rpm disc, RAID0 or SSD.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

When I used it, I had it on 30-40 FPS and the quality was fine. A few lag spikes here and there in the game but it was mostly stable.

I also play WoW on Ultra settings, but it seems to be a problem with FRAPS and how it interracts with wow.

At 60 FPS I was getting killer lag and could not even do my job. Here is a video. (not in HD but the quality is acctually decent.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Phatphuz.../1/0Psi3xhFVtA
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

Deleted
    So most all of the youtube videos are recorded at 30 fps? Let's say Paragon's Raid vids? So full size, 30 fps is the setting to take? (as said i'm a complete newb at this). Just want the best possible recording with my setup with ultra settings, maybe it's worth taking shadows down to high instead of ultra for the additonal fps hm..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaster View Post
    So most all of the youtube videos are recorded at 30 fps? Let's say Paragon's Raid vids? So full size, 30 fps is the setting to take? (as said i'm a complete newb at this). Just want the best possible recording with my setup with ultra settings, maybe it's worth taking shadows down to high instead of ultra for the additonal fps hm..
    Yeah, those are usually at 30 FPS. See for example:
    http://www.premoguild.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6048

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Considering raid encounters drop your framerate down to the 40's anyway, setting fraps to record at ~30fps doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Much easier to work with files recorded at that rate as well.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    record at 30, no sound (usually people overlay music anyways, and if you want boss clips you can record audio for the separately), and make sure the 'lock framerate' isnt checked (maybe it's 'unlock framerate' in which case it would be checked)

that way, fraps records 30fps, but game can still run at 40-50-60
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Maybe setting it to 40-50 might do it... Question though, full size is the way to go right?

The drop in frame rate is x2. The HDD speed , and the extra load from the capture and compression of each frame.
    Even running raid 0 with 50 disks fraps will still lower your frame rate down to whatever you set the fraps recording to.
    30 FPS is normal recording. 24 is standard HD video, and 29.97 is NTSC, and as stated 30 FPS is the max youtube supports.
    so recording at 60 FPS does nothing but double the file size and increased load on your system.

It is ideal to set it to 30 FPS, and accept the fact that while recording, you will be getting 30 FPS.

---------- Post added 2011-03-11 at 07:27 PM ----------

here is a video I just recently did at 24 FPS... you can see my FPS in game in the upper left.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyS9N0ZWHoE why it's 46 or so at the end, I have no idea.
    Last edited by soapy; 2011-03-11 at 07:28 PM.
    Made from:
    50% Win, 50% LOL, 50% Legend... That is 150% mother*(#^$*!!!

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    record at 30, no sound (usually people overlay music anyways, and if you want boss clips you can record audio for the separately), and make sure the 'lock framerate' isnt checked (maybe it's 'unlock framerate' in which case it would be checked)

that way, fraps records 30fps, but game can still run at 40-50-60