Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW is similar to Quake? Both will die out eventually

This just popped into my head while reading those "is wow dying" posts...

Product cycle. It's gonna end sooner or later, but thats not what this post is about.

Remember back in 98, we had Doom and Quake? Basically dominated the FPS multiplayer game, Quake was its prime with john carmack giving away his ferrari to the winner in a Quake competition. Quake 2 CTF and FFA matches , 1v1, the clan matches, anyone remember Death Row? Top guild in the world with Thresh the legend among Quake. Thresh also co-founded Xfire.

I believe Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein were among the first few games to be played in competitions like CPL Asia or gaming fests like Quakecon.

Then along came games that were seen as competition to Quake. Unreal being the more prominent game. Tribes as well with its fancy flying/sliding vehicles or whatever its called. They failed to topple Quake until a game called Half-Life came out.

Half-life spawned the ever so popular Counter Strike, completely changed the scene, and Quake was history.

Isnt it similar to how Wow is today? Dominating the MMO scene, top guilds gaining crap loads of fame, regardless of the reason. Many know who Kungen is, similar to Thresh, without the prize money, lol.

Then you have Unreal/Duke/Tribes, equivalent to today's Aion/AoC/Warhammer. It is rather similar isnt it.

And today we have competitions where WoW arena matches are played, much like the past.

Only question is, which game will be today's "Counter Strike" ? Will it be GW2? SWTOR?

I don't know if Wow is dying or not, we will never know unless someone hacks the servers at Blizz to find out the true number of active accounts (minus china). But what i do know is, Thaurissan-US on a saturday/sunday at around 7-8pm in Origrimmar, the population level is shockingly low. Probably 100 or so odd players? Compared to 2mths ago where you could hardly see a guildie if he was standing in front of you.

We may never know the numbers, but from what you can see with your own eyes, it is evident there is a decline in numbers.

Personally i'm waiting for GW2, and i'm hoping it will be the "counter strike" of this era (minus the immature brats).

disclaimer: this post is purely my opinion and no research has been done therefore dont get too worked up over it.

Deleted
    Games will eventually die sooner or later. I don't know what you're trying to prove by just trolling or having a bad day or just trying to waste our time by reading this troll post.

Also, Counter-Strike WILL die. It's just the matter of when.

But thanks for pointing it out.

"We may never know the numbers, but from what you can see with your own eyes, it is evident there is a decline in numbers.
    This is my favourite part. "I have no idea what the numbers are but look at the numbers which I don't know and you can see them going down, even though I have no idea what they are.".
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

WTB TITAN /thread

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Games will eventually die sooner or later. I don't know what you're trying to prove by just trolling or having a bad day or just trying to waste our time by reading this troll post.

Also, Counter-Strike WILL die. It's just the matter of when.

But thanks for pointing it out.
    So there's this phrase...you should look it up. Take it with a grain of salt. Also read the last paragraph.

keep in mind you are refering to a broad genre rather then the specific fantasy MMORPG that wow is.
    its like saying game like bulletstorm and killzone3 will be butting heads, they won't one is more realistic and the other is extreme overkill(however a tad bit watered down with realistic BS at times).

also off topic i really hope after this year some more overkill type shooters come out cause frankly i want guns that don't just shoot bullets again.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    This is my favourite part. "I have no idea what the numbers are but look at the numbers which I don't know and you can see them going down, even though I have no idea what they are.".
    Yea lol, its called making up facts with no source and appealing to you directly, obviously YOU understand dont YOU, its OBVIOUS the numbers are going down faster than Elvis (no source cited).
    Ive noticed less players than wotlk, particularly on low pop. However, thats just less than wotlk, there was a pop explosion then because of the ease of content and pugging. Cant source any of this i pulled it out of my nether. A decline back to BC levels would be fine with me as IMO most of the nubs from wrath were trailer park kids who got a 10 day trial. Oh and to OP the replacement for wow will be Diablo 3 and Titan more than likely barring some sort of jesus on water effect as blizzard and wow dominate more than any of the games you mentioned. The only current competition is a game that is deliberately and openly trying to steal wow subs, which in my mind means they cant rely on word of mouth endorsement. Seems like a wow ripoff with a higher graphics requirement.
    Last edited by Nexxia; 2011-03-12 at 05:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    quake is still really really fun so i don't care if something dies out as long it stays fun to me.

You're born, you live, you die.
    This applies to pretty much everything, games included.

The analogy doesn't seem to make much sense.
    CS and Quake are completely different games aside from the fact they're FPS. Yes the goal is the same (in a way), but how you reach this is an entirely different game (also, quake started dying when unreal got released. Yes q3a was a huge success, but that idea was actually taken from unreal's bot system and q3a lost a lot of players to UT).

As for your own server: not to case in my eyes.
    The server I've played on during WotLK saw a major boom after cata release (especially on alliance side).
    My current server is still high pop (though we haven't seen queues since the start of cata) and has a very active community.

As for the decline in numbers people are talking about: once again, it's more evident now a days.
    Blues are responding to more threads than ever. Sites like this one allows us to convey messages easily, so we now know each other's opinions (this was here already during TBC, but far from as popular as it is now).

All in all it comes down to this: if someone makes a well written post, explaining how the game is coming to an end, even if the bottom line makes NO sense at all, yet it's well packaged and brought in a single minded way that persuades people, idiots will jump on the bandwagon.
    These people will start arguing with the people who can see the OP of that thread (not this one) is wrong, and this will start the discussion. More people see this and the chain reaction begins.

Now this has happened several times, but due to the larger amount of people currently visiting WoW related (non-official) websites (which aren't regulated by blizz themselves, so they can't even nip it in the bud), more and more people are being persuaded by this, making their own threads, adding to the chain reaction, provoking increasingly more stupid threads.
    This all leads to a system where the QQ is a part of the community of the game (how would sites like these maintain their userbase if EVERY QQ thread got locked instantly?). I have never seen people make demands to blizzard like anything else before.
    When you play a game, you play what the developers make for you. The demands certain people have are just... mind boggling at times >_>

Try and DEMAND that EA do something and threaten that you will "NEVER BUY A GAME OF THEIRS AGAIN!" and see how they respond

Deleted
    Except Quake III isn't dead...It's a very popular online FPS today

Dead = No players

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    We may never know the numbers, but from what you can see with your own eyes, it is evident there is a decline in numbers.
    You added a disclaimer, but you're still telling me what I see with my eyes? Great job. What I see with my eyes, is a game that's better than ever, with major cities being completely full of players and a trade chat that's never been this active.

However, you've got a point, even though I wonder why you had to make that point.. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows WoW will end some day and it's just a matter of when.
    As for which game is gonna be today's Coutner Strike, I'm gonna guess that Titan will have a pretty big impact, even though it might not be so big, since it's a MMOFPS and not an MMORPG like WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Current ally guild lost a hunter to rift, I took his place. He comes in vent when we raid and hangs out. Also does this at random and sits in vent talking for a LONG TIME. He says he like da rift, I say this smacks of Aion. People left and swore it was a wow killer and then crept back, happened in old horde guild lol. Put on your epics and sign raid calendar because nothing will kill wow just yet. I wouldnt even mind onother game to play but the only one i would have went for (warhammer) turned out to be a stinking pile of feces.
    Last edited by Nexxia; 2011-03-12 at 05:32 PM.

QuakeCon still has competitive Quake 1/2 competitions. Not to mention Quake Live, which is basically Q3A. Doom 1/2 are still played and speed-ran. If anything Quake/Doom are a poor example.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxia View Post
    He says he like da rift, I say this smacks of Aion. People left and swore it was a wow killer and then crept back,
    Difference is, all of Aion's hype was based on graphics and ignored its grindarific gameplay. It had truly awful gameplay and a massive lack of content along with no endgame. No-one seriously thought it would perform well in the west after trying it during the beta, they were just trolling. Basically if anyone's argument includes the word "WoW Killer" they're trolling, purposely biased or both. Rift is easily the most competently made MMO since WoW's inception.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Except Quake III isn't dead...It's a very popular online FPS today

Dead = No players
    Dead is an exaggeration people use for something that has been in decline for years. Like Quake. I bet 99% of the people playing Quake today are the same people that were playing it 10 years ago. There's no influx of new players, but old players are slowly dropping off for a variety of reasons.

For the OP's comparison, I'd say WoW is more like Counter Strike, while Everquest would be like Quake. Most people have moved on from Quake to other, newer games, like people have moved on from Everquest.

Counter Strike and WoW were the next big things in their genres, but they are both starting to get pretty dated (technology/graphics-wise anyway), despite the numerous updates they have received. Counter Strike is nowhere near as popular as it used to be (hello Call of Duty) and WoW is stagnating (or is at least leaning towards it).

Everything has to end sometime. The Roman Empire ended. China will be the next greatest power. There will be a new mmorpg that will knock WoW off its pedestal somewhere in the future, and it may not be a Blizzard game.

Deleted
    The reason that CS ( 1.6 ) & WoW aren't killed off yet is gameplay, all new games try to focus on graphics and this is why there hasn't been a killer yet. Keep things smooth & you got a hit, it's pretty simple yet they overthink it.

10+ Year Old Account
    All things follow a cycle increase, sustainability, and decline, its the same deal with species.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    This just popped into my head while reading those "is wow dying" posts...

Then along came games that were seen as competition to Quake. Unreal being the more prominent game. Tribes as well with its fancy flying/sliding vehicles or whatever its called. They failed to topple Quake until a game called Half-Life came out.

Half-life spawned the ever so popular Counter Strike, completely changed the scene, and Quake was history.
    No other game killed quake, Quake 4 killed quake.

I was more hardcore into quake than I am wow, being in the top 200 world in multiple mods, so I know of which I speak. Quake 4 saw a good 70-80% decline almost overnight in server and player population. Most people stayed with quake 3 and the hardcores still play today, I occasionally do and have no problem finding servers with most mods still on them.

yes wow will eventually die, nothing lasts forever... anything new?

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the Blizzard retrospective the other day, (yes, I was -that- bored) and they said that they want their next MMO, known as Project Titan at the moment, to kill WoW. I don't remember who it was, but someone from Blizz said, "We understand that Titan needs to be great. If we don't steal all of WoW's subscribers, someone else will." They too know that WoW is going to die, so hopefully Titan will be revolutionary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)