Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    My point is that doesn't make a basis for Rift having any sort of advantage. Aion wasn't noob friendly yet look how poorly it's done in the US market. Not being noob friendly isn't such an amazing thing to boast about.[COLOR="red"].
    Unless you were doing Tahabata [I wasn't] Aion was noob friendly. The fight mechanics were ridiculously easy; the only part that you even had to pay attention for was 'weaving' if you had a low enough ms to do it. It wasn't casual friendly because it required so much grinding. PvP was mostly about which faction/Dredge team you were on and how bad your ms was. I agree with your overall point though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yomyom View Post
    You are joking right? It took bliz two weeks to return one of our officers accounts all because he had a lot of gold on his toons, it took 5 days for them to return my flat mates, and he reported it literally within an hour of it being hacked (we went to the shop for food, came home and he was hacked).

Either way it is a new game and they are most likely trying to let the dust settle before they work out just how big their customer rep teams need to be.

As for Rift, I am enjoying it, there are a couple of annoying parts to its hardness, low level mobs knocking you off mounts, chain pulling two mods that appear to be quite far apart and mobs re-spawning around you. WoW also does the latter but unlike wow I die with 3+ mobs. Outside of those 3 annoying things the hardness is great, like wandering elite invaders, you have to keep an eye on where they are going so you don't turn a corner and run into them.
    You're very unlucky then... I have a Mobile Authenticator attached on my Android phone, I did factory reset without remembering about the fact. As soon as I realized what have I done, I called them. 3 mins of waiting for service and hooray! SHE only instructed me to send my id thru email webform, without clarifications, because she is sitting right now in front of it and will pickup my request immediately.. It took maybe.. 10min overall? Including scanning my documents...

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Grease View Post
    Ooooooh. A 7 yr old struggled at a game he's never played before....shocking!

If WoW had nothing but heroic raid bosses that would make it exclusively "hardcore." Would this make it a better game?
    If you started at level 85, with a set of 333 blues, and there were no heroics and PvE was balanced. If you had Normal Raids then Heroic Raids, I think it would.

I am a PvE player and this would mean that all the other PvE players I want to play with would be good.

Yo Dawg, I heard you like Pirates. Well, I put a Bloodsail in your Bloodsail, and now you can Pirate while you Pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by tubalcain View Post
    It's not newb-friendly. It's a game built for people that know what to do, or are willing to learn.
    Has other have stated, if Rift's population is going to be limited to hardcore players, then might be a great game to those few hardcore players who like it. BUT will they keep enough subscriptions to make it worth while ?

A guy I worked with plays alot of different games. He was telling me about one of the MMOs he played that was truely hardcore. I believe it was Dungeons and Dragons. There, if your gear broke, it was gone forever...epic or not. You lost XP isf you died alot. The mana regen on the characters was very low. You went into a dungeon with 50K mana, and that was all you were going to have for the night. When it ran out, you were done.

This comparision reminds me back to when Counter-Strike was the most popular game in the world. It's graphics were old and basic, it was cheesy in ways which gave it, it's flair, it had plenty of flaws and off hit boxes. But it was a great, fun, simple game. There were many Counter-Strike killers and they all missed by a mile. Games that were arguably better like the Rainbox6 series, never enjoyed the same level of success, because they were far more complicated and much more for the hardcore shooter fans.

In short...very successful games, have been games that aren't always the best technically or graphically, but are the most fun to play and very important, runs on really low end hardware.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2011-03-13 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    Normally I'd agree. But I'd just got so sick of the retards playing WoW, which, yes, you do get in Rift, but you don't get at level 50, in the raids, like you do in WoW.
    Hmm, yes you do. It will become more apparent as the game gets older and the community gets wiser to the game, it's mechanics and abilities and all that. That's when the people that didn't seem stupid will look stupid (or at least misinformed / unwilling to become informed). They are there, most people just don't know any better to spot them out all the time yet.

On the original topic, I don't think you can say Rift is harder because a 7 year old had trouble with it and just because there are things a 7 year old can do on WoW. The main thing is that Rift has more abilities and more mixing and matching class-wise which can be overwhelming for a child, but for an already competent MMO players, I havent encountered anything more difficult than a Heroic WoW raid or the "hardest" WoW Heroic 5. Even the prenerf Johlen encounter isn't "harder" than WoW.

My point is, that yes, a 7 year old can do things on WoW, but he can't do the actual hard stuff. Rift just doesn't have any of the 7 year old stuff (although I bet if he really, really took the time he would get it, it's just about all the extra abilities, like I said, and the fact that it's a whole new game). Those 2 things does not equal Rift is harder than WoW. It's really just the class abilities/mixing learning curve that makes it harder for the young ones.

I would like to clarify that I'm not really arguing that one is harder than the other (based off of what I raided in Rift and and WoW, they seem the same so far to me, although Rift is harder in a few aspects, I wouldn't scream "it's harder!" from the top of a mountain), all I'm saying is that your reason for saying Rift is harder isn't really a reason (that a 7 year old wasn't good at it after trying for how long?).
    Last edited by G l o w y r m; 2011-03-13 at 01:55 AM.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    You're very unlucky then... I have a Mobile Authenticator attached on my Android phone, I did factory reset without remembering about the fact. As soon as I realized what have I done, I called them. 3 mins of waiting for service and hooray! SHE only instructed me to send my id thru email webform, without clarifications, because she is sitting right now in front of it and will pickup my request immediately.. It took maybe.. 10min overall? Including scanning my documents...
    That is resetting an authenticator, not a whole account from being hacked (where bliz remove the items gained by the hackers and try to give you back all your items). Also it wasn't me who got hacked. Don't put in stupidly easy passwords, don't visit retarded websites, and don't fall for pishing emails and you won't get hacked. These people who hack wow accounts are not super IT nerds hacking the bliz data bases, so you can't blame Bliz (or Trion) for people doing stupid things.

I love how peaple say stick to the road so you dont get dismount, your a funny kid,What about if your a minner and you have to get out of road? either way they gona fix the dismount soon anyway so get use to it

It's not that WoW is easy. If you want it to be easy, then it is. If you want otherwise, well... You'll have it! The point is that WoW can be as hard as you want it... If you stick to tanking normal dungeons as a dk, it's definitely piece of cake, it doesn't demand anything from you, really... Now, if you want challenge, apply to a decent guild, go do heroic raids or just fight your way to the high ratings of arena/ratedbg... Questing is easier, I admit, but WoW is focused on endgame,and while you can't really judge Rift endgame, because it's simply nonexistent at the moment - hold on for a moment with any statements:P it's only the beginning
    Basically what he said.
    If you want hard content, it's there.
    Something tells me this riveting "leveling is hard" content in Rift will get old faster than the "I'm finally quitting WoW" threads.
    But ignore me, i'm sure having the varying levels of difficulty of content in WoW is a major design flaw :P

Also, don't equate your lack of experience in the game (rift) with actual "difficulty." Something tells me that's a common theme here.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    I thought about rift today. I went over to theri general forums and what did i see? over a dozen threads about how shitty their CS is. People getting hacked already and having to wait 4 days to get a response, people who have tickets about other issues having to wait even longer than that! Blizzard CS may be semi crappy but at least they get the job done within a decent amount of time ( within 3 days usually).
    Don't be stupid and you won't get hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    "Hardcore" players are not enough to sustain an mmo. It doesn't bode well for it at all.
    It's the "hardcore" players that got wow off the ground.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Quote Originally Posted by yomyom View Post
    These people who hack wow accounts are not super IT nerds hacking the bliz data bases, so you can't blame Bliz (or Trion) for people doing stupid things.
    I must say I stopped by the Rift forums to see how things where going and I was suprised at how fast the compimised accounts were already in place. I guess the Gold farmer want to make sure they get in the door early and setup shop. Maybe it's like a mobile market, whoever gets the first tower up, controls that game\server.

Kinda sucks that you have two different problems in the different games. First person shooters are plagued with aimbots and wall hacks and the MMOs are plagued with constant attempts at account theft. Farmville may be the only safe place left :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darknsss View Post
    I love how peaple say stick to the road so you dont get dismount, your a funny kid,What about if your a minner and you have to get out of road? either way they gona fix the dismount soon anyway so get use to it
    They fixed that.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

It's not that WoW is easy. If you want it to be easy, then it is. If you want otherwise, well... You'll have it! The point is that WoW can be as hard as you want it... If you stick to tanking normal dungeons as a dk, it's definitely piece of cake, it doesn't demand anything from you, really... Now, if you want challenge, apply to a decent guild, go do heroic raids or just fight your way to the high ratings of arena/ratedbg... Questing is easier, I admit, but WoW is focused on endgame,and while you can't really judge Rift endgame, because it's simply nonexistent at the moment - hold on for a moment with any statements:P it's only the beginning
    I think you summed up what I was trying to get across in my wall of text a few posts above, lol. I agree with this.

Thing is, there are guilds doing raids in Rift. I have seen/played Greenscale's Blight and it's really not harder than raiding in WoW. Their 20 mans are closer to a Heroic raid in WoW since they want their 20 mans to be hard and the 10 mans to be "normal" (which I foresee being changed in the future).

My main point in my other post was that Rift's learning curve is a little steeper due to it's class system and the fact that it's very new (the UI also gives less information than a fully addon WoW UI) and that's why a child can't just jump into it. They both have the difficult challenge if you want it and they both can be casual friendly, Rift just needs a little more time to become "friendly" which will weed out most of the casual players.

I mean, being able to just jump into Rift Raids (the actual Raids that are open world Rifts opened by putting together pieces from dungeons etc) is definitely a casual friendly addition to the game, just like the other, regular Rifts are (Minor, Major, etc). So the "casual" stuff is there, it's just the class learning curve.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    That + a massive fan base from Warcrafts 1-3 already in place may have had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    I thought about rift today. I went over to theri general forums and what did i see? over a dozen threads about how shitty their CS is. People getting hacked already and having to wait 4 days to get a response, people who have tickets about other issues having to wait even longer than that! Blizzard CS may be semi crappy but at least they get the job done within a decent amount of time ( within 3 days usually).
    I'm just curious when the last time you had a gander at the General Discussion forum, the three roles forums or the Technical Support forums on the official World of Warcraft forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Um... hardly. I doubt the majority of the WoW player base that joined in vanilla even cared about raiding, let alone even did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it isn't very accesible, (Maybe, maybe not. Won't make up my mind because of an anecdote about a young child. I'm sure he's perfectly bright, but you get my meaning.) then it bodes well for the community, but not for the developers.

$.$
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2011-03-13 at 02:14 AM.
    Look! Words!

Deleted
    Everything isn't easy as pie the first time over, WoW is easier now because the majorety of people complaining about it being too easy is people who're playing alts with -heirlooms- and/or greater knowledge and gold to make the trips more pleasant...

Rift will end up the same as wow when people have been through round 1 and go make the 2nd toon and play through again...

Deleted
    Yeh, because we all know Cataclysm was focused on endgame.....

More like *Screw endgamers we want new customer MONEYZ MONEYZ MONEYZ*

ok, so been a wow player since the betas, and the same with rift, the two games share similarities on launch. ironically im playing a warrior in rift (same as i did when i started on wow) and both have similar downfalls. lack of healing.
    from what i have seen of my 40 levels so far on rift (im only playing casually) it is very much like vanilla in the sense that if you dont plan your moves and what you pull you will die.
    i know people say wow is easy now and such but it wasnt always like that. anyone leveling a warrior in vanilla and even in tbc and wrath up to a point will tell you the hellish time you could have. to be fair to the class i was a noob back then, However id say after around 10 years of mmo play now i know what im doing, yet still i find myself in similar situations on rift as i did in wow.
    maybe over time rift will simplify things, but saying its a hardcore game for hardcore players is a bit far. you would then have to clasify wow back when it was new as a hardcore game :P

to add also, give your kid a rogue (marksmen ranger bard) and bind every button to quick shot you really cant go wrong unless he wanders in to a camp full of mobs :P