Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should I quit while I can or wait until I'm fired?

This last week on Friday I was notified that I'm being scrutinized by the big guys up in corporate for a mistake I made which wasn't fully my fault. Thing is that, since it's a corporation and I'm the little man, they couldn't care in the slightest who's fault it was, only who did it. What I did was simple: the supervisor on duty asked me to log in (they provided their 4 digit pass) and ring someone up on their till/register and I'm on grounds for removal for using another's register. I'll know if I'm going to be removed on Monday or Tuesday but I'm an at-will employee so I have the right to quit at any given time with no warning and no cause.

So what should I do? If I get fired for this reason could I collect unemployment while I go job hunting or would it be better to have quit and go job hunting? I have enough money to go for a few months without a job while looking for a new one. I live in San Diego, CA by the way.
    Last edited by Oogzy; 2011-03-13 at 09:26 AM.

These tables bar our way.. ┬──┬ ┬──┬

But the will of a templar is stronger! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ(`Д´)ノ︵ ┻━┻

Your gut is right 90% of the time, so go with that.
    -Sig by tazsar aka. Gormlaith.

Do you like your job if i may ask?
    If yes, then stay
    no then leave

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    This last week on Friday I was notified that I'm being scrutinized by the big guys up in corporate for a mistake I made which wasn't fully my fault. Thing is that, since it's a corporation and I'm the little man, they couldn't care in the slightest who's fault it was, only who did it. What I did was simple: the supervisor on duty asked me to log in (they provided their 4 digit pass) and ring someone up on their till/register and I'm on grounds for removal for using another's register. I'll know if I'm going to be removed on Monday or Tuesday but I'm an at-will employee so I have the right to quit at any given time with no warning and no cause.

So what should I do? If I get fired for this reason could I collect unemployment while I go job hunting or would it be better to have quit and go job hunting? I have enough money to go for a few months without a job while looking for a new one. I live in San Diego, CA by the way.
    Best bet is going to be the one that keeps you making the most money for the longest. Also, if you quit, you can't collect unemployment. During that time, you might not be able to find a job, so you'll want the unemployment to hold you over in the time. Nothing says you have to give 100% at work if you're going to get fired. Also, contact the companies services. Most companies have people you can contact if you were wronged, and the issue can be addressed.

Dont throw away your old shoes, before you have new one dude!

Best time to look for a job is when you have one.

Quit. It's a lot harder to get hired after you get fired as opposed to if you quit.

Perhaps this is off topic but from the story that you gave it makes me believe that you shouldn't worry about getting fired. It would be one thing if a coworker asked you to use their register but having a supervisor tell you to is a completely different scenario. If I may inquire further, did you know before hand that such an action was deemed a breach of security? If so, did you tell the supervisor who told you to use the other register that it was wrong to do so. To me this makes all the difference in the world, if you told the supervisor that it was wrong and he told you to do it anyway then it should be his neck on the chopping block.
    Doc: I'm a pacifist.
    Caboose: You're a thing that babies suck on?
    Tucker: No dude that's a pedophile.
    Church: Tucker, I think he means a pacifier.
    Tucker: Oh right, man I was totally thinking of something else.

30 years on this planet. A word of advice. Work for no man but yourself. That is all.

I knew that you weren't supposed to but I assumed, as I thought it'd be safe to assume, that since the supervisor on duty was telling me to do this that it was ok. I had asked before this specific instance if it was ok to do this and was told it was alright. I'm still going to worry about being fired though as it is a large corporation and they've already taken this situation from corporate to my DM and then to my actual manager.

Also the corporation in question is Starbucks.

And to make it clear there's a good chance I won't be there long after Mon/Tues from being terminated.
    Last edited by Oogzy; 2011-03-13 at 10:05 AM.

Look for a new job while you still have one, never quit yourself unless you can afford to do so otherwise no unemployment benefit if you do.
    I'm not online, it's just your imagination

Even my coffee is vengeful!

Ugh it's like 50-50 for quit or get fired. Blech.

LOL, you can get fired for stuff like that.....just LOL.

That's what you get working in a country with weak unions. Almost non-existant employee rights.

Personally, I'd wait to get fired. You might get some kind of compensation if you do. At least we do in Europe. It might also make it easier to claim benefits, but I don't know about that.

It's true that, in theory, it looks better on a CV to quit than to be fired, but honestly, not that many people care as long as you're good at whatever it is you do.

Asking this kind of question on MMO-C shows a severe lack of judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by rofl View Post
    Asking this kind of question on MMO-C shows a severe lack of judgement.
    I'm tired and work nights so the people I'd ask sleep at "normal" times which is when I'm getting off work.

Think about how you would answer a question based on the situation while in a future interview: There was a risk of termination, you panicked, and quit. You would be hard-pressed to put a positive twist on undo cowardice. Or, stick it out, if you get fired, you get fired, but in the future you can confidently say that you were doing as told by your supervisor, and dealt with the fallout like a responsible adult.

Quitting will only hurt you.

If you work at starbucks to live on, then stay til you get fired. If your 16 or w/e and just making spending money then still stay. no one gives a rats ass about starbucks cashier being fired.

Just do whatever feels right. I personally wouldn't quit. If anything, go out in style.

Warchief
    Quit. Having to explain to a future exployer how you got fired would make you look a lot worse than explaining why you quit.