Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    EA pretty much invented the MMO genre with Ultima Online. They are the largest gaming publisher. If they really wanted to take it back, they could. It's all about marketing. They are pretty much going all out with SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I feel like the only nerd in the universe with ZERO interest in anything Star Wars. Yeah, I enjoyed the movies, were the my favorite of all time? No. Were they my favorite Sci-Fi franchise? Nope, I still enjoy Back to the Future more.

I've watched the trailers for the MMO and I /yawned each time. Most of the classes look like the same ones with the same lightsabers that never change.

The graphics are very good, but I don't play MMOs for the graphics or voice acting. All in all, I'm very unimpressed by that MMO. I feel like Star Wars is an over-milked cow that needs to be put to rest already.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

An amazing game, voice acting does not make. Do amazing things, it must.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    lol mac.. why would anyone own a mac for gaming?

Macs represent maybe 5% of computers.

Oh nice! A statistic pulled out of no where, I love those! Fact of the matter, is most people that own macs own them for Graphic Art, Audio Engineering or Video Production. These people... guess what... also tend to game. I assure you Graphic Artists, Audio Engineers and Video editors (while not all using macs) make up for much more than 5% of computers. If you are going to try to shrug off an honest suggestion about why no game has knocked wow off its perch by such a slight of a comment, might want to have better reasoning than a fictional number pulled out of your ass.

Also, it's not like EA doesn't have the ability (Finances and Knowledge) to develop games for Mac. Many of their shooters are on the apple store.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    Sometimes I feel like the only nerd in the universe with ZERO interest in anything Star Wars. Yeah, I enjoyed the movies, were the my favorite of all time? No. Were they my favorite Sci-Fi franchise? Nope, I still enjoy Back to the Future more.

I've watched the trailers for the MMO and I /yawned each time. Most of the classes look like the same ones with the same lightsabers that never change.

The graphics are very good, but I don't play MMOs for the graphics or voice acting. All in all, I'm very unimpressed by that MMO. I feel like Star Wars is an over-milked cow that needs to be put to rest already.

If you think that looks boring, then I would really like to see what MMO trailer you think DOESN'T look boring.

Have you ever played Knights of the Old Republic? It's considered one of the best RPGs of all time.

SWTOR's gameplay looks dull and boring. Star Wars is amazing but seriously...they need to let it die.

There is a big big flow for me in SWTOR personally: only human-type playable characters and no playable Jawas. Humain Sith Vs human Jedi clones will be boring soon enough. I am pretty sure 80% of players will go for jedi/sith. Beside that, it's the only serious competitor for WoW imo. Because you're in space and they can just create a new planet everypatch for players to discover and explore new worlds all the time. + you have your own ship

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallv View Post
    The same reason no one defends in battlegrounds... because they're stupid.
    Not another mac-pc topic ><

OT: SWTOR will definitely take some of wow's userbase, I don't expect it to get bigger than wow anytime soon, but with some big titles in the genre coming up or having just been released (rift,TOR,gw2,tera), I would'nt be surprised if the MMO landscape looks a lot different by the end of 2012.

I remain sceptical though

10+ Year Old Account
    so, when you reach max level (or rank, or what is it in SWTOR), you'll do what? Hear all voiceovers again? Are there something like raids? I want raid, where everybody will be screaming "I've hit him for 9000+!", "he dodged my <insert swtor ability here>!".
    This so-much-pro voiceover is gonna be annoying after a while.
    English is not my mainspec!

Quote Originally Posted by SLhyphy View Post
    Oh nice! A statistic pulled out of no where, I love those! Fact of the matter, is most people that own macs own them for Graphic Art, Audio Engineering or Video Production. These people... guess what... also tend to game. I assure you Graphic Artists, Audio Engineers and Video editors (while not all using macs) make up for much more than 5% of computers. If you are going to try to shrug off an honest suggestion about why no game has knocked wow off its perch by such a slight of a comment, might want to have better reasoning than a fictional number pulled out of your ass.

Also, it's not like EA doesn't have the ability (Finances and Knowledge) to develop games for Mac. Many of their shooters are on the apple store.
    http://www.statowl.com/operating_sys...rket_share.php

Quote Originally Posted by SLhyphy View Post

I love how people claim Macs are for editing. I always hated editing on a Mac in school and loved when I could take my work home and edit it on my Windows computer. Windows computers are usually more powerful for the same price. Any game developer would in fact have Mac's in second priority, not equal and not first.

---------- Post added 2011-03-13 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    There is a big big flow for me in SWTOR personally: only human-type playable characters and no playable Jawas. Humain Sith Vs human Jedi clones will be boring soon enough. I am pretty sure 80% of players will go for jedi/sith. Beside that, it's the only serious competitor for WoW imo. Because you're in space and they can just create a new planet everypatch for players to discover and explore new worlds all the time. + you have your own ship
    You forget Guild Wars 2 good sir.

MMORPGs do not have to be RTS-based.

We aren't going to get another WoW-quality mmo until developers realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Wow, so instead of skipping over quest text people will skip over quest voices.
    I'm curious what the mechanic for that will be.

I disliked the way Aion seems to have more dialog screens than is necessary. i.e. You can't just click once to accept a quest, there is often a 2nd or 3rd page/bubble of quest-text to get through.

I'm replaying the original Deus Ex, which is only tolerable because you can quickly right-click through the spoken dialogs.

Tried the Dragon Age 2 demo, and didn't stumble upon any way to skip-through the dialogs to get to the reply "wheel". Same with The Mass Effect 2 demo.

If the spoken dialog is so important to the game, will they provide an easy way to skip them?
    I take some solace in the fact that even though my snarky reply to someone's condescending rhetorical question earned me a 1-week ban, my post was not deleted. I was rather proud of that bit of snark, and I am glad it lives on.

Deleted
    You can't compare WoW to SW:TOR. There are a shitload of differences.
    I say EA has a big EGO; sure they have awesome games, but then...why are they afraid of some competition?
    (afraid as in speaking arrogantly that sw:tor will surpass WoW)

"The dog that barks the loudest, doesn't bite."

Blizzard has done some crazy work to get this successful and they won't easily give in to the upcoming MMO's.

Ofcourse i'll be playing SW:TOR too cuz I'm a fanboy. But i would never set aside my WoW characters...

Deleted

If you think that looks boring, then I would really like to see what MMO trailer you think DOESN'T look boring.

Have you ever played Knights of the Old Republic? It's considered one of the best RPGs of all time.
    While it doesn't showcase any gameplay, this cinematic is even better, imo. Making 5 minutes of video so entertaining leaves me with a good amount of optimism for TOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yseraboy: You hit escape to skip dialogue and get to the reply wheel in DA2.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Its sad that the only thing they can brag about is the fact that it has voice. The first movie ever with sound sucked. Just sayin'.

Yeha it was true for mmo's as well when aoc did a bunch of voice overs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apples and oranges. But go ahead and cling to the banana. No loss.

So was many final fantasy games.. but their MMOs are mediocre at best. Not says Old Republic will be bad.. Just saying past RPGs made in the past does not mean the MMO will be any good.. I would rather Bioware have done a MMO based off the Mass Effect universe. I think there would have been more room for their own creativity to fly, and that makes a difference when making games.

10+ Year Old Account

I haven't nor do I plan on playing any Star Wars games. Sorry.

And yes, that pre-fabricated propaganda trailer does look boring compared to other MMO propaganda vids. Oh look, 5 generic humanoids with a rainbow of lightsabers cluster-fucked on top of each other! That's....exciting...?

Go look at Warhammer and AoC trailers, they look a lot better. Hell Aion's trailers are still my all time favorite even though I have no intention of ever playing that game.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2011-03-13 at 06:35 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama