Thread: Resto PVP help

Resto PVP help

I've been playing feral for years but with the latest nerf and lack of a consistent healer in our BG's I decided to give resto pvp a try. I am sticking with feral pve btw. I'm just starting to get my resto gear together but I just don’t feel like I am able to keep myself and my team alive like I have watched other resto druids do in the past. I think it may be my spec/rotation and I am most concerned with reforging bc I keep finding conflicting information. I am speced with the defensive spec off of oombulance.com's blog as it is the only resto pvp thread with current info on it.. anyways if someone that knows what they are talking could look at my spec/glyphs/reforging and let me know how to be a better healer that would be great.. A few questions in particular Do I need hit? How much spirit? Haste breakpoints for pvp? Crit or Mastery? I cant link my armory because this is my first post here. But I'm Manaba us-silvermoon horde..

I say Bump
    Sarah yells: I am the lucid dream
    Sarah yells: The monster in your nightmares
    Sarah yells: The fiend of a thousand faces
    Sarah yells: Cower before my true form
    Yogg-Saron yells: BOW DOWN BEFORE THE GOD OF DEATH

I can't say anything about your gear definitively, but as a general rule, gem intellect and split spirit/haste for bonuses. I reforge everything into haste (even spirit), but thats a lazy approach. DO NOT GET EFFLORESCENCE. Despite what others may say, it's useless in PvP because nobody is ever standing still enough for it to tick out on them. Your 3 talent points would be better spent elsewhere, perhaps the talent that reduces spell damage by 6%. This is because (for a decent druid) melee should never touch you, save for the occasional rogue coming out of stealth on you. Rejuv anyone taking damage (grid can be set to show anyone with aggro), and stack Lifebloom in between spells on anyone taking focus fire. It should look like RJ>LB>RJ>LB>RJ>LB -- If your Lifebloom target starts getting low, pop Swiftmend, then start casting either Healing Touch or Nourish on him/her. After that, keep up your hots, AVOIDING Regrowth (super expensive) and spam Healing Touch/Nourish. If a caster gets on you, go travel form and close the distance between you, shifting in and out if they root you, then cyclone/skull bash/bash them. If a melee gets on you, pop barkskin, travel form and run, then if they're still on you, use Natures Grasp. If they insist on following you, Cyclone, then look for a LoS opportunity. I've found that going travel form then running THROUGH the melee is a great way to lose them, since they have to turn all the way around to face you, and by that time you're a good 10 yards away. Remember that Cyclone is super powerful, since it stops dps for a full 5 seconds (since patch). At 10k average dps, you're essentially giving their target a HoT that ticks for 10k a second. Remember that. Also, rooting melee after they get feared is a great way to keep them from dealing damage. You're a mobile healer, so use it to your advantage. Travel form is your friend, and with good gear a resto druid becomes a very viable flag runner. A macro that makes you travel form on ground, and water form when swimming is GREAT for flag running (particularly the swimming part), and if you have water form glyphed, its that much better. Lastly, tree form is godly. Use it. A macro that pops trinkets, barkskin, and any good racial (trolls) is great when combined with tranquility. Over and out.

Edit: Sorry for the huge rant. It's pretty unorganized, but it's all good advice. If I think of anything else I'll post it here.
    Last edited by Terajoule; 2011-03-14 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    So you are actually left alone hardcasting healing touch in arena? Im lucky if i can get regrowth of at times.
    If you're facing good opponents you WILL be interrupted when casting long heals...

I'm by no means a perfect resto druid and haven't been playing it for all that long but i do have a 81% win ratio in arena and I really only lose because of stupid mistakes. What I found the best to help me was the armory and looking up what other druids use for gear and how they spec. I usually try to keep rejuv up on whoever is taking dmg and LB on whoever is getting focused. If i don't really need LB i just cast it on myself as to not let it fall off for the mana regen. I rarely ever cast HT or Nourish as it will almost always get silenced. I rarely cast regrowth outside of clearcast because of that. If you keep hots up and use swiftmend when its needed.
    Also as for gemming and reforging, the only thing i reforged was my pants and weapon and ring to spi. I gem 20intl/20resil in my red, 40resil in my yellow and 20intl/20spi in my blues.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enjeru/simple

thats my armory, yes i know my rating isn't very high but i don't really play much games either because i don't have the time.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wakarimas View Post
    So you are actually left alone hardcasting healing touch in arena? Im lucky if i can get regrowth of at times.
    If you're facing good opponents you WILL be interrupted when casting long heals...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lungbutter View Post
    I've been playing feral for years but with the latest nerf and lack of a consistent healer in our BG's I decided to give resto pvp a try.
    I was under the impression he wanted info on BG's. Arena is a whole diferent ball game. Your play style can change drastically depending on what your comp is and how others in your team play.

Deleted
    Hey, I've not been playing Druid for too long but I've read a fair bit on it and managed to get to 2.2k in 3v3. I'm not gonna wall-of-text you as it tends to deter people from reading, so i will just summarize as well as i can

- Go to eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/terenas/shifthot/talent/primary to view my gear orientation. Mostly gemmed for Int primarily, but i fill the yellow with Resillience. In rated bg you can have quite a few enemies bashing your face in at any one time so the more resi the better (to a point of course)

- Then there's the spec, my current resto spec is for 2v2, so ignore that. Instead take a look at this one: wowhead.com/talent#0hbkZcZMcuIdcMzkuo

-Reforging - In this tier of gear it's not really a great idea to reforge into haste since you cant really get enough to make that much of an effect anyway(perhaps this will come back in a later season), so the more appropriate option is to reforge into spirit.

-Glyphs - see my armory profile

And with regard to your healing problems, while druids are very powerful healers, their strength comes from 'buffering' incoming damage with HoT's. So being prepared for incoming damage will cause you to become a much stronger healer - prehotting someone who is about to take alot of damage will put you in a much better position to deal with that damage.

Healing touch is not that great of an idea, even in rated bgs, it should be used only in conjunction with natures swiftness, or if you have all your other hots rolling and still cant keep up. Regrowth is probably the better 'emergency heal.'

You don't need hit, one point in the balance talent 'Balance of Power' will cap you on players.

Hope this helped, cheers

Thank you for the replies. To be more specific I am doing 2's and 3's and some bg's although not as many bg's now that I'm almost full bloodthirsty blue gear. I went with the reforging spirit suggestion in hopes it would stronger heals and help my mana. Changing my spec around a lil too but I notice that some ppl are not taking feral swiftness with all the kiting I've been doing in arena this week.

Deleted
    I notice that some ppl are not taking feral swiftness with all the kiting I've been doing in arena this week.
    This is really a waste of talent points, 2 in this = 30% increased speed in cat form, wheras travel form already increases movement speed by 40%
    So really no point in taking this talent at all