Deleted

Vsync on or off?

Anyone playing 24/7 with Vsync off? What's your experiences with it? Do you notice a lot of screen tearing?

I personally haven't tried playing with it off, but tried turning it on for the sake of it and was really fun to see the higher fps, and so far I haven't seen any tearing.

Any downsides with it? (Screen tearing, more loads on your PC something else)?

Would love to hear your opinions about it ;-)

Deleted
    I don't know what screen tearing is either, never noticed something awful only the massive increase in fps.

I run with VSync off for WoW, on for most other games where performance is more uniform or where screen tearing is more noticeable (FPS games, adventure games, just about every single player game).
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my laptop I get screen tearing directly even just with a couple of frames above 60 fps, but on my desktop I don't see anything.

On both PC's I am using the command SET maxfps on 60, so it tries to hover around that value, exceeding it slightly especially on the desktop. Might start getting noticable tearing on the desktop if I remove it and let fps reach higher values. Might try it someday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, if you can run the game with VSync off without noticing distortions, then you definitely should.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no point of having it off, since doing that will only increase your FPS past your monitor's capability, thus gaining nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I don't notice any tearing, but I do notice my GPU fan revving up more due to it rendering a bunch of frames I will never see. Also Aero becomes far less responsive when alt tabbing. Vsync off is a silly idea.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    My mouse responds faster with vsync off. In Audiosurf for example, they enforce Vsync, it makes your mouse sluggish. As soon as you patch it off with a loader, the mouse is as responsive as it would be on desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Well, if you can run the game with VSync off without noticing distortions, then you definitely should.
    Why should you? What is there to gain?

Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    There's no point of having it off, since doing that will only increase your FPS past your monitor's capability, thus gaining nothing.
    This discussion comes up a lot.

Since most games don't support true triple buffering - and forcing it on in drivers is, last time I checked, also not true triple buffering - enabling VSync sets your framerate to a divisor of 60. In other words, if your video card can render faster than 60fps, you see 60fps. However, if it cannot, and it renders at 57-58fps, you will only see 30fps... which means noticeably jumpy framerates if it's hovering around there and constantly switching between 60fps and 30fps.

If your video card is rendering at 28fps, you instead get 15 (15 * 4 = 60). 14, you get 7.5, and so on.
    Super casual.