Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Red face Put the RP in Mmorpg

Hello! I've discovered recently that most games are starting to become a grindfest.
    However, as I stopped playing WoW, I've been wondering what's the best game to Roleplay in beside our beloved Warcraft?
    I've tried Aion so far.

My questions are: Do you enjoy roleplay or you just want to play the game and what games do you know that got roleplay? (MMo's
    Lightwell! It's gewd!

Try RPing on an RP-server.

As said, I'm done with WoW. I did roleplay for about 1 year or so...
    Lightwell! It's gewd!

roleplay is dead and dying, thankfully. I remember mmorpg's early on tried to cater so much to roleplayers when they were such a small niche audience, but they'd cater to them like they were the majority. UO was just dumb with roleplayers and why they always got pk'd and then they all started crying about precast because they were pvp noobs, and then playing Shadowbane with the way they tried to cater to roleplayers was just sorry. no offense.

It's called Supply and Demand. Sorry to tell you this, but Hardcore gamers have a greater presence in this market than Roleplayers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get you head out of the computer screen, go to your local comic book/tabletop gaming shop, meet some people, make some friends, and play a tabletop rpg. You want RPing? That's where you can get it the most. And there's no trade chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    It's called Supply and Demand. Sorry to tell you this, but Hardcore gamers have a greater presence in this market than Roleplayers.
    Hardcore gaming is about as much niche as roleplaying, if not even more. It's the community that games like CoD aims for nowdays that rules the market.

Play LotRO. It's free, and has a pretty big RP community, and the game is riddled with RP fluff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

Quote Originally Posted by Drexxil View Post
    Play LotRO. It's free, and has a pretty big RP community, and the game is riddled with RP fluff.
    Very good advice. LotRO is very friendly for people who want to roleplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurmwhale View Post
    roleplay is dead and dying, thankfully. I remember mmorpg's early on tried to cater so much to roleplayers when they were such a small niche audience, but they'd cater to them like they were the majority. UO was just dumb with roleplayers and why they always got pk'd and then they all started crying about precast because they were pvp noobs, and then playing Shadowbane with the way they tried to cater to roleplayers was just sorry. no offense.
    So an aspect that quite a decent part of gamer community you want dead because they whine? Shit, that means the PVP community should die too because all they do is whine about nerf this, nerf that, buff my class.

GW2 is something you might be interested in
    a example : http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto
    but this will require some patience :d
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless
    Heh, ahh the internet. Where the 'glass is half full' and 'glass is half empty' people are both shouted down by the heaving masses of "WAAAAH! I WANT A FULL GLASS! WAAAAAAAH!'

Yes I do love to RP. Star Wars: The Old Republic is probably going to have the best RP community by the very nature of the game, so I am really looking forward to it.

I can't role play in an online game. I just can't. I do it in my head, I don't talk aloud, when I play a single player game and only to a certain extent.

Honestly I'd be happy if they put the MMO back in MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Yes I do love to RP. Star Wars: The Old Republic is probably going to have the best RP community by the very nature of the game, so I am really looking forward to it.
    I really fear that it's going to be riddled with "Oh I'm darth vaders long lost sooooon" or something just as ridiculous.

Play NWN2 on some nice roleplaying shard. It's not a MMO, of course, just a cooperative game.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    And casual gamers have a far greater presence than hardcore gamers.
    But that doesn't stop the hardcore from QQ'ing, so why should it stop RP'ers.

I really fear that it's going to be riddled with "Oh I'm darth vaders long lost sooooon" or something just as ridiculous.
    If by son you mean great grandfather from a thousand years ago, sure. =]

I don't think very many real RP players on RP servers are going to try and pull that. If people want to write fanfiction, then let them haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Siton View Post
    Try RPing on an RP-server.
    I play on Kirin Tor, a RP-PvE server, and RP isn't easy to find. I am not an RP'er, though, so perhaps I am not looking hard enough. I feel bad for RP'ers because non-RP'ers mock them on their own realms. I may not be an RP'er, but I respect the house rules and those who wish to RP.

I've heard that Moon Guard is better, but from what I've been told by RP'ers, it seems RP in WoW is on a major decline.