Poll: Do you like the asian setting of the expansion?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you think about the asian setting of the expansion?

Why everyone is frowning upon the asian setting of the expansion? From what i have seen from the zones i have to admit they look AMAZING and it will be a great deal of fun to level in them. Oh and by the way i DESPISED the colorless zones of WotlK (and some of Cata's colourless zones, deepholme and vasj'ir im lookin at ya)

So i want to ask you, what is the bad in the asian setting of the zones? Maybe you are all racist and stuff and dont want to see asian stuff in YOUR euro/US mythology based game. Asian mythology is also really cool.

Personally I love it. Its going to be a fresh different setting than anything we've seen before.

And I'm a big fan of these fast landscapes like these ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    i love the asian theme. it's just the pandas i don't like much.
    really gotta ask. how is Vash'jir colorless? there is a HUGE amount of color here. the look of the place was never a problem. it was the whole getting used to being able to move in all directions that made it harder to quest in.
    Deepholm on the other hand.. yeah. being stuck inside a huge geode was sorta dull.

Asian setting have bored me to no end in the past, but WoW being WoW they might just pull it of differently, with more elegance and take some of that dull I find in it away.

I'll have to wait and see.

I think the zone / dungeon art that has been shown so far is tremendous, and is some of the best artwork to date in WoW.

I honestly wasn't expecting this kind of backlash over "asian-themed" zones. I really don't get it. In all objectivity, the new zones are really beautiful. Very detailed, very atmospheric ... what's the problem?

One could really come to think it has something to do with racism or xenophobia or whatever. It seems that western people are kind of terrified of Asia. WoW players were OK with jamaican, scottish, tribal cultural influences, but the enigmatic Asia seems to cross the line for them. What the hell. Is this some kind of economical/political Asia paranoia that has grown so sewere in the heads of the people that it's affecting even something as trivial and non-serious as a computer game?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    I think the zone / dungeon art that has been shown so far is tremendous, and is some of the best artwork to date in WoW.
    This. 10 chars.

Try to post more constructively.
    Last edited by Millennía; 2011-11-03 at 05:13 PM.

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

Personally I just think we have enough snow/grassy/jungle zones in the game already. I was hoping for something more outlandish and instantly recognisable (think blades edge, or searing gorge). Assuming the zones more distinguishable then just having asian buildings, I'll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Why everyone is frowning upon the asian setting of the expansion? From what i have seen from the zones i have to admit they look AMAZING and it will be a great deal of fun to level in them. Oh and by the way i DESPISED the colorless zones of WotlK (and some of Cata's colourless zones, deepholme and vasj'ir im lookin at ya)

So i want to ask you, what is the bad in the asian setting of the zones? Maybe you are all racist and stuff and dont want to see asian stuff in YOUR euro/US mythology based game. Asian mythology is also really cool.
    Deepholme looked like a clowns vomit, which zone were you in? It looked like neon rock crystal party!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    @Kazomir:

Did you and I quest in the same zone when you called Vashj'ir "colorless?" Vashj'ir is one of the most vibrate, beautifully constructed zones in the game. Especially Kelp'thar Forest and the Shimmering Expanse.

On-Topic, I'm looking forward to the Asian-themes of Mists of Pandaria. It's going to allow for some interestingly new weapons and armor types (if you look at the current game, the only thing we have are a couple of random katanas; and there's only two or three of such models) and the scenery looks positively breath-taking. I'd go as far as to say that if Cataclysm is a primarily story-driven expansion, Mists looks like it will end up being a primarily visually-driven expansion. Though I hope they keep the story as strong as it was in Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm!

Deleted
    i wasent hoping for an fully asian setting to next expansion infact i was hoping for emerald dream themed our argus themed expansion with a darker story since thats what i love. So you can imagine my hype in lvling in the new zones isint so huge when they all seem to look like happy nagrand zones and when none of the new enemys in the expansion is even near past threats. What i do love with the expansion is the focus on faction war and a story focused on that to and that + the new features scenarios world bosses easy pug raid acces so on and thats what is geting me sold. The idea of being stuck in a asian landscape for 1-2 years really doesent

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you and I quest in the same zone when you called Vashj'ir "colorless?" Vashj'ir is one of the most vibrate, beautifully constructed zones in the game. Especially Kelp'thar Forest and the Shimmering Expanse.
    He must have played the zone with minimum settings and view distance.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hate it. And the squeaking asian music in every sneak peek panda video. Horrible. Had to mute the thing.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

An Asian theme seems something WoW hasn't done before, which sounds awesome. Too tired of lava everywhere.
    The funny thing is, the less you know, the less you matter.

I think it's great.

Love it. Hope it's done well like in ATLA.

That said, I also loved the Stark, bleak Northrend scenery.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    My problem with the Asian setting of MoP isn't that is Asian. My problem with the Asian setting of MoP is that it is too bright. The quality of the art and environmental design and all is very good, but everything is too light. I believe the developers made the comment that they were exercising their creative kung-fu in experimenting with a lighter expansion that isn't about gloom and doom and rather about keeping the beer flowing etc. So the tone of the asian setting we seem to be getting is very light and fluffy... which fails in my estimation. We've seen the light and fluffy asian tone done to death. If Blizzard had chosen to build pandaria as a dark, bloody setting based on chinese history and mythology (which are anything but light and bright), that would have been awesome both from the perspective of escalating the faction war and the fact that western markets haven't really experienced the grittier sides of asian history and mythology. But instead we're going to the land of a people who "don't vibe on hate" to do things like save the brewery to keep the beer flowing. Meh.

Wow, just going to throw the race card out first thing huh ? Everybody who doesn't LOVE Asian\African\Hispanic themes is RACIST ! I don't like Thai food...I'm a RACIST ! Do I get to flip it around and say your racist against US\Euros because you automatically assume we're racist if we don't like something ? This is how silly you sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm30cepvMQA

With that said, I'm fine with an Asian\African\Hispanic theme as long as it's of good quaility. I didn't care for the Wrath theme all that much. I preferred the high tech space cow theme of TBC. Cata has been OK theme wise. MoP looks pretty good thus far. At the same time, many people just don't consider an Asian\African\Hispanic theme mixing into a Fantasy world. Some might say they like worlds that don't have a real ethnic culture to it.

It's honestly way to early to tell anything about MoP and it's theme. Some things seem kinda cheesy (pet battles) but they might turn out to be really awesome. I think what you're seeing is the group of people who think that MoP is going to be a cheesy Kung Fu Panda Expansion aimed at 10 year olds. Because clearly Blizzard has no idea what their demographic is.

And where is my option for 3. Indifferent or I need to see it first.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2011-11-03 at 04:01 PM.

Deleted

*Rolleyes*

Would you want Firelands style content for 2 years?
    What about the interior of Icecrown?
    Grizzly Hills?
    Nagrand?
    No?

TBC was very floaty, but it had a decent variety of environments - green planes, fungal swamps, jagged mountains, etc. WotLK had jungles, icy peaks, frozen Mordor, Sweden, etc. Cataclysm had fire, earth, water, Egypt and well, Arathi.

I'm just not particularly keen on 2 years of China (In a variety of shades! Take your pick - blue or green!). It'll get old fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been waiting for an Asian setting in this game for so long. It looks amazing and we haven't even seen it all yet. Just listen to the music also, the best music, artwork and landscapes so far in WoW for me. I'm one of those guys who likes to run around the world on their ground mount in their spare time, I think I'll enjoy doing that even more here!