Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do people get shocked after getting ganked on a PVP server?

Here goes... So I spotted a Night Elf Deathknight fishing in Tol Barad this morning. Naturally, being a member of the Horde my instincts were telling me to GANK and keep his head in a trophy case. He went down pretty fast since he was wearing 372Ilvl PVE gear ( judging from the item textures ).To my surprise a level one troll whispers me : ''You think that was a fair fight bud? Really Sporting of you.''. He logged off before I got the chance to answer.

I've been getting a lot of these whispers lately, I just don't seem to comprehend why people take it personally when they get ganked by a member of an opposing faction.
    He is the one who chose to play in a PVP server, he was the one who chose to go fishing in an area that is typically abundant in PVP combat and he was the one who kept his guard down. The way I see it I did nothing wrong, and his efforts were uncalled for. Honestly just switch to a PvE server.

As rude as ganking may be, it is still an enjoyable aspect of the game( imo at least ).
    Anyone else experiencing these ''QQs'' ?
    Last edited by Oraj; 2011-03-15 at 10:00 AM.
    Putrefaction you've caused, No need for confession. Now you wish you had a god, To stop your demolition. Crushing the bones of the hundred folds, Swinging the judgement hammer. Man, woman, child no-one is safe The heads of the dead are the banner.

All ganking shows, at least, when they have fishing gear on, is that you're afraid to fight them with their actual gear on :\

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand killing someone, that's what I would have done.

The only thing for me that just gets a bit lame is running around killing lowbies, that just sucks and is plain cowardly. Hence I don't do it.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K

Ganking is when you kill someone in a unfair fight. usually when they are fishing (they have their fishing gear on) or when they have mobs on. It is not a fair fight, it is called ganking. On some pvp servers there is an etiquette where you actually start making your intentions clear and when the guy is ready you attack him. If there are many, you can attack even if they have mobs on them. Another no-no is attacking a player leveling when you are lvl 85 decked in pvp gear because the character levels is so loopsided that no matter the skill of the leveling player, he will get killed.

So yes pvp servers = if it is red you can kill it. However many pvp players have a "code of honor" and rather go for fullfilling battles and avoid ganking. It is a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by psyquest; 2011-03-15 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    You killed him, you did no gank him.

Ganking was once -and is still by many- to be the act where you keep killing the same player over and over again.
    Corpse-camping it is called these days, I believe. Still, killing a player once is not "ganking" in any way...

And yeah, he had it coming. If he would be fighting Problim and being low on health when you finished him before he could complete the fight, it would be somewhat cowardice. But fishing alone in a PvP zone infested with Horde players is asking for it, to be honest...

I am not above killing a member of the opposite faction. However, I try and refrain from killing lower level characters (unless they are close enough in level and of sufficient numbers that they have a shot at winning) or attaching characters who are fishing, because honestly fishing sucks enough as is and getting killed while doing it would be that much worse 8P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people are starting to get too soft, in your case anyway. In a similar fashion, I noticed that the Almighty King Douche of the Alliance (I have friends on Alliance after a faction xfer, couldn't stand to be alli anymore lol) on our server doing his dailies in TB. He was at about half health trying to take on a few spiders, so, as a good little Horde rogue, my first instinct was to gank the bastard. I ran up and took him down in seconds. He came back seeking revenge obviously, but was deftly handled with aid of a priest and warrior that happened to walk by. I was applauded by my amigos on Alliance and some members of my guild whom I bragged to (this guy has quite the rep).

Getting back on topic, I think if they are Alliance and they are flagged, take him out. If he's 85, you shouldn't even have to think about it. Maybe you let up on the lowbies if you're in a good mood or something, but there's no reason not to gank an 85. I personally want the battle between the Horde and Alliance to rage on as strong as ever. Back in the day, if you were flagged outside of a major city, you either brought some friends or feared for your life, no matter your level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We removed the Fun Stuff forum, all the Fun in the MMO-Champion forums will now be taking place in my pants.

Xenophics <Famous> - Scarlet Crusade (US)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RatrixGlory View Post
    All ganking shows, at least, when they have fishing gear on, is that you're afraid to fight them with their actual gear on :\
    Regardless of the fact that he had fishing gear on, he should still keep his guard up. Besides the only fishing gear he had equipped was a pole nothing fancy like a helm or anything, last time I checked weapons are switchable in combat.
    Putrefaction you've caused, No need for confession. Now you wish you had a god, To stop your demolition. Crushing the bones of the hundred folds, Swinging the judgement hammer. Man, woman, child no-one is safe The heads of the dead are the banner.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oraj View Post
    Here goes... So I spotted a Night Elf Deathknight fishing in Tol Barad this morning. Naturally, being a member of the Horde my instincts were telling me to GANK and keep his head in a trophy case. He went down pretty fast since he was wearing 372Ilvl PVE gear ( judging from the item textures ).To my surprise a level one troll whispers me : ''You think that was a fair fight bud? Really Sporting of you.''. He logged off before I got the chance to answer.

I've been getting a lot of these whispers lately, I just don't seem to comprehend why people take it personally when they get ganked by a member of an opposing faction.
    He is the one who chose to play in a PVP server, he was the one who chose to go fishing in an area that is typically abundant in PVP combat and he was the one who kept his guard down. The way I see it I did nothing wrong, and his efforts were uncalled for. Honestly just switch to a PvE server.

As rude as ganking may be, it is still an enjoyable aspect of the game( imo at least ).
    Anyone else experiencing these ''QQs'' ?
    I play on a PVE server, I hate being ganked when I get flagged unintentionally.

And I find no fault with what you did. Isn't this supposed to be a part of the PVP server experience?

What you really want to be able to do is reach this person and say;

"You think that was a fair conversation you started there buddy"

Deleted
    If its red, it must die. Rogues promise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind being killed in a fair pvp fight.

It's when I get ganked by someone several levels higher, and then corpsecamped that I get pissed off. Last time this happened I was on my 82 warrior and got killed 8 times in a row by an 85 feral druid.

I wonder what's the fun in that.

Yeah, I understand that, but when fishing (at least, when im fishing) I get tunnel-vision. Focusing solely on fishing, so getting ganked while doing it is quite surprising as im not always paying attention to what going on, other than that little bobber in the water

Ive gotten softer over the years, but I still embrace the killing of players on a PVP-player, green geared with a fisingpole or not.

Its always the pve-scrubs that QQ about this. Cause to them PVP is about, what they call, "fair fights". Im guessing theese same guys play Call of Duty in a old fashion western "DUEL!" way (cause thats the only fair one, where both are ready and have the same "gear").

To me, some of the remaining fun in WOW is gearing up enough to be able to retaliate when somebody tries to kill you. Since everything else is just grinding, the only effort left is just getting the skills and gear you need to be able to survive and kick some opponent-ass.

People QQ-ing about this, should be automatically transfered by force to a PVE/RPPVE server.
    Last edited by Talgmar; 2011-03-15 at 10:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play on a PvE server and operate under the law of "you're red, you're dead" in PvP zones like WG. If you are in WG and you are fishing you should expect death coming at you from all directions. Same with farming elementals there. As for TB, if you're ever flagged in either of the daily hubs you should ALSO expect to die since it really is a very PvP-player oriented place... especially right after the battle is done! Plus the fact that the mobs tend to gang... being flagged there is a dumb idea if you are just flying on the hope that the people around you will have mercy.

However, out of PvP-mandatory spots it's a bit tricky. I will never kill a lowbie unless they are directly interfering with what I am trying to accomplish or attack me/my friends. If a person is green or yellow to me in level and flagged and the fight would be at least mostly fair (in terms of their activity), they are free game imo. It's a freaking HK with these currently retarded BG queues, I don't care if you were just trying to let your flag tick off while standing stark in the middle of Ashenvale.

If people don't wanna get killed, don't play on a damn PvP server. And if you don't play on a PvP server, AFK for 5 minutes on your flying mount and get a soda or take the closest 12 second flight path, since there's about a hundred of those now. There's no reason for people to ever be angry about getting ganked unless it's an unfair level or low-HP-from-quests difference... and even then, you should really still have your guard up.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end of the day it increases your Honour gain and is a legitimate form of PvP, let the QQers QQ and continue on with the ganking!

Deleted

Angry

Almost same thing happened to me too once.
    Was doing dailies in lower TB (the controlled area) when this Nelf DK shoved up and started killing same dailyquest mobs. Ofcourse I killed him, he was alliance and the TB itself was "horde controlled". Anywho about 20secs later that same DK made an alt and whispered to me and started whining and whining, eventually he logged out because I pointed out HE was the stupid one, entering to enemy territory when it was controlled by opposite faction and assuming that he could be left alone. Seriously W-T-F.

My opinion is to always gank everyone who is PVP flagged, for gods sake it IS Players VS Player server afterall. No need to get mad or start whining if u choose to play in PVP server and die because of that.

Deleted
    Of course you should kill him. Its a PvP server, and there is a war going on between your faction and his faction. And especially on TB you can't feel safe or should feel safe, i meen its a war zone? Would you go to an active warzone, put down your rifle, take out your fishing pole and start to do a little fishing, and expect that the local army/resistance/whatever wouldn't take a shot at you, or at least take you prisoner (and as that is not an option i WoW i see no other correct option)!

Personally i kill everything in TB (if i can), its my duty as a soldier of the alliance!

Deleted
    When I was on PvP server, I usually camped my 80 rogue in area where i lvled my DK. If some corpse camper appeared - log off, log on... PWN!

I like world PvP for the challenges it provides. Ganking ppl who are at a disadvantage isn't as fun, so I usually spare lowbies and even 85's who are undergeared. My favorite thing to do is to fly around on my 80 troll spriest twink and "/rdy" at level 85 alliance. The other day I went up to an 85 combat rogue in Uldum and did "/rdy". He switched specs, equipped a couple daggers, ate some food, and I allowed him to stealth and start his opener. About a min or so later, I'm at 10% and standing over a dead 85 rogue. That kind of stuff is far more rewarding than steamrolling lowbies or undergeared players.