Thread: Boot problem

Deleted

Boot problem

Recently overclocked my i5 2500k / Asus Deluxe board to a stable 4.8 Ghz with a 1.4V.

Just noticed, sometimes it won't boot, after beeing turned off for quite some time. (cold boot). Have to restart it multiple times to make it boot Windows, aswell as it's showing "overclocking failed" before the Windows screen.

I'm sure my overclocking is stable, just the booting issues, I think acually I noticed a failed cold boot at the stock clock but I may have messed around with some settings by misstake I don't know of...

Is there anyway to fix this? Anyone here got the same issues or knows what to do? >:

Help would be much appeaciated!

P8P67 Pro has known issues with cold booting as well as "overclocking failed" and RAM compatibility issues. Make sure to update BIOS to latest version, also there's a workaround that helped for me. Turn on "allow device x to wake up computer" settings from power management. Supposedly PCI does the trick, but some ppl have used mouse enabled or whatever. Could be Deluxe has same issues.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Got the latest bios and enabled "Powered by PCI-E". Something else that may affect it?

RAM overclocking is also a problem if you use memory faster than 1333MHz. You can try either the reset button on motherboard to fix failed RAM detection, or clear all BIOS settings with the CLRTC jumper. Some people have reported they had to physically remove the battery from motherboard to reset the RAM settings into working state.

Yeah... I'm seriously considering taking another brand of mobo instead of the Asus P8P67 Pro when I return this to the local store for the SATA bug recall. There are tons of BIOS issues regarding RAM and cold boot in the Pro model at least, easy to find plenty of QQ and questions if you google for it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I've Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 1.5V, using the 1600 Mhz stock settings, could it affect the issue?

Let's say if I set it to 1333 instead, does it matter at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaster View Post
    I've Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 1.5V, using the 1600 Mhz stock settings, could it affect the issue?

Let's say if I set it to 1333 instead, does it matter at all?
    Try. I had to manually set the timings on G.Skill Ripjaws 1333MHz kit to get the computer booting at all, just entered the manufacturer defaults into BIOS by hand. Automatic memory tuning failed every single time.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cold boot is a known issue but I think they fixed it in BIOS 1305. Are you using the old board or the new B3 stepping version? I have my new B3 version in and it came with the latest 1305 UEFI/BIOS.

Apparently the cold boot with RAM set above 1333 bug can be averted by using the jumper to clear CMOS, which someone mentioned. Here's a bit more detail:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
    2. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 10 seconds (to give time for capacitors to discharge), then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
    3. Plug back in and enter BIOS again to re-adjust settings.

There's also this fix posted in a forum by an ASUS tech, also briefly mentioned by above posters:

"enter UEFI BIOS -> go to ‘Advanced’ tab -> go down to ‘APM’, press Enter -> enable the “Power on by PCIe.” function. Then press F10 to save & exit. After save & exit, let the system boot into Windows or other OS, then perform a proper shutdown: Start button -> Shut down. You will no longer have the double POST. We will fix this in an upcoming BIOS release."