Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account

Help with my spec - Discipline

Hey guys,
    I'm fairly new to playing my priest, started during 3.3. I've succesfully healed wotlk raids without any trouble whatsoever. Now I recently started playing my priest again and managed to get it fully non-raid geared. It got pointed out that disc priests should also be using greater heal, which I didn't at first, given how bad it was in wotlk, and seeing how I already have 6 single target heals, I didn't really feel that it would be needed. Now I consider myself a very good DK, but I do have plenty to learn on my priest so I decided to get some help from the kind people on MMO-champion.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGorRs0foMochr:0mqdRq

I do swap out glyphs depending on the fight, but this is my basic setup. Now here's my issue. Given how I started using greater heal, I'd really like the train of thought talent. Now my options of droppable talents are soul warding, strength of soul, inspiration and surge of light.
    We generally run without a restoration shaman or a 2nd priest, so personally I don't find inspiration the best choise to drop.

WTB Opinions.

TL;DR: What should I change in my spec.

15+ Year Old Account
    Borrowed Time isn't really optional, if you want the smite talents I'd start by dropping Soul Warding and Surge of Light to pick up Borrowed Time and Train of Thought

Deleted
    I usually go with this setup for our 10m heroic fights where I believe disc is better.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzro...MZ0b:cmqzMqzM0
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-03-15 at 07:26 PM.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGorRsbcoMoMuMZb

Something I threw together rq. If you want an Atonement spec then something like this is Ok. A few points can be moved/thrown out if you want. It's all personal preference.

Thanks to Amalisa for this great Sig!

The first post at the top of the page is Sticky: [Priest] Guides, Important Threads & Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING).

If you'd read it before posting you'd have found references for lots of useful, enduring, commonly requested information (hence why it's stickied), such as [Priest] PvE Discipline Priest Guide which would have provided you a lot of information about the general decision process in designing your tree dependent on your role in raid. Your question is very general and is answered therein, so really shouldn't have spawned a new thread.

If you want to argue the merits of some of those decisions, the best place is within that thread so that if edits are deemed appropriate they can be made in the reference material rather than repeated a day, week, or month later in one new thread after another. If you have a more specific question not reviewed in that or other referenced threads from the stickies (or directly in the stickies themselves), such as refining a spec for a specific encounter or other unique considerations then that's the place for a new thread.

Not trying to flame you, as I understand you're simply looking for more information and advice, but I think you'll find a lot of what you're looking for in that thread. If you do have more detailed followup, please try to provide as much background information as possible, such as your role in raids (are you primarily healing tank or raid), size (10- or 25-man), difficulty level (5-mans, normal or heroic raid), armory link, and anything else that might be relevant to help others understand your situation.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I usually go with this setup for our 10m heroic fights where I believe disc is better.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzro...MZ0b:cmqzMqzM0
    Ty for that one, pretty good for when smiting is no option.

@Lohe I see no point whatsoever in taking borrowed time, considering I actually lack points rather than have points to spare.

@Urbi Ty for that one aswell, though both darkness and desperate prayer aren't rly things I'm looking for. I'll probably kick out borrowed time or surge of light. Option 2 is keep healing w/o ToT.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfhzrosbfRMochMZb

throughput w/o AA talents.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGoMRsbcRMoMhZhb

This is what I use as a setup w/ AA talents.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslick View Post
    The first post at the top of the page is Sticky: [Priest] Guides, Important Threads & Rules (READ BEFORE POSTING).

If you'd read it before posting you'd have found references for lots of useful, enduring, commonly requested information (hence why it's stickied), such as [Priest] PvE Discipline Priest Guide which would have provided you a lot of information about the general decision process in designing your tree dependent on your role in raid. Your question is very general and is answered therein, so really shouldn't have spawned a new thread.

If you want to argue the merits of some of those decisions, the best place is within that thread so that if edits are deemed appropriate they can be made in the reference material rather than repeated a day, week, or month later in one new thread after another. If you have a more specific question not reviewed in that or other referenced threads from the stickies (or directly in the stickies themselves), such as refining a spec for a specific encounter or other unique considerations then that's the place for a new thread.

Not trying to flame you, as I understand you're simply looking for more information and advice, but I think you'll find a lot of what you're looking for in that thread. If you do have more detailed followup, please try to provide as much background information as possible, such as your role in raids (are you primarily healing tank or raid), size (10- or 25-man), difficulty level (5-mans, normal or heroic raid), armory link, and anything else that might be relevant to help others understand your situation.
    I am aware of what stickies are for, and I have read them after I transferred my priest, but in my experience the information provided in stickies goes more towards very basic information, and very common questions. I'm not a experienced priest but I'm not dumb either. Finding standard specs is easy, though I prefer having a spec that fits my own playstyle rather than copy pasting and never asking questions. I understand that I also didn't quite make my case clear, so here is the rest of the required info to give an intellegent suggestion.

First of all, it's an alt, only healing in alt raids, heroics or when we miss a healer in our main group. I very much enjoy the smitespec and seeing how it will be buffed in the near future, I'm planning to keep that. We raid 10 mans only, due to lack of players, and only just started doing heroics. I have no experience healing actual heroic encounters, merely heroic icecrown fights. My stat preference goes towards mastery and to a degree crit. I try to avoid haste as this doesn't really make any healing spell better, merely faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterman View Post
    First of all, it's an alt, only healing in alt raids, heroics or when we miss a healer in our main group. I very much enjoy the smitespec and seeing how it will be buffed in the near future, I'm planning to keep that. We raid 10 mans only, due to lack of players, and only just started doing heroics. I have no experience healing actual heroic encounters, merely heroic icecrown fights. My stat preference goes towards mastery and to a degree crit. I try to avoid haste as this doesn't really make any healing spell better, merely faster.
    I may have missed it, but I don't think you mentioned whether you're primarily assigned to raid healing or tank healing. Most of your comments lead me to think you're primarily tank healing: you're indicating a preference to crit and mastery over haste, which is generally more in line with a tank-healing design and directly opposite to a raid healing priority where (now that shield spam is not generally viable) haste is king; you're looking at speccing 2/2 SoS, which is pretty much wasted points for a raid healer. But your reluctance to drop inspiration only holding up due to a lack of any other source of the buff lends itself to a raid-healing mindset. Could you clarify to which role you're normally assigned?

And personal playstyle heavily affects proper talent decisions. If you have a sample raid log it might be easier to see how you're generally dealing with damage flow now, in order to offer suggestions for optimizing talents to support your methods.

Without more information, though, what I'd suggest in response to your original question about the isolated choice regarding where to draw two points from in your listed spec to fill out ToT would be to take them from SoS if you're primarily raid healing (you'd almost never actually benefit from its utility), and if you're mostly tank healing to still take them from SoS if you're not using H/FH/GH frequently on the tank, otherwise from SW.

Lethal, Thunderhorn-US
    (US #1 2-night guild WoD)
    Tues/Thurs 7-11pm CT
    EN 7/7 Heroic

@Lohe I see no point whatsoever in taking borrowed time, considering I actually lack points rather than have points to spare.
    /facepalm...wow Borrowed Time vs Train of Though