Deleted

4 pin by the cpu

Hey my psu recently went to hell, so i bought a new one

This one: Corsair TX 750W PSU

So now when I was about to install it I noticed that the 4 pin by the cpu on my motherboard dosnt get a cable that fits -_-

Pic: http://img4.imageshack.us/i/96a9c244...ec9672fe8.jpg/

So whats up? Is it needed?(maybe a dumb question) If it is should i buy something... maybe a new motherboard? new cable? Go cry in a corner?

Look for the 8-pin cable that splits into two 4-pins. Use half of that.
    Super casual.

The PSU should have 2 cables that look like this:

Plug one of 'em in to the 4-pin connector, there should be only one way to fit it. The connector is probably labeled as ATX12v or something like that.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Well that was fast and i found it, Ty very much feel so dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    A elaboration of the actual problem would be more helpful. What exactly doesn't fit. The cable attached to the PSU? You mean the cable on the PSU is 8pins and motherboard 4 pins? I don't understand your problem.

If it's 8pins, you can click off 4 pins, most CPU's require 8pins instead of 4 that's why it's probably clicked on by default.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2011-03-15 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Deleted
    Please make sure you don't insert the PCI 4pin in there..
    As others have said, most PSU's come with an 2x 4 Pin instead, so use half of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Please make sure you don't insert the PCI 4pin in there..
    As others have said, most PSU's come with an 2x 4 Pin instead, so use half of that.
    PCI-E uses 6, 8, or 6+2 pin connectors Aside from PCI-E, the only plug of that type to use six pins was the old AGP Pro on some boards.

Deleted
    Some of the new CPUs, like Intel i7 for socket 1366 for example, requires 8 pin connectors, they can work with only a 4 connector attached to the motherboard, but they wont run at 100% and in many cases, there can be stability issues unless you connect the 8 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Indeed. However, on your second point, i have to say that on the Corsair AX Series (Gold Professional), or at leas the 1200W edition, the CPU connector is actually an 8-pin that doesn't seem to split apart. It's possible it does, i just didn't seem to be able to do so (not really an issue since my board uses 2x4 pin as a single 1x8pin connection).
    When you buy a 1.2kW power supply, Corsair doesn't think you'll be using it to put in an HTPC. If it's an 8pin un-splittable plug, it's because nobody in their right mind would get an AX1200 for any kind of system that would end up only needing a 4pin.

That said, the Corsair plugs clip together really well. It may be that you just didn't notice

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    When you buy a 1.2kW power supply, Corsair doesn't think you'll be using it to put in an HTPC. If it's an 8pin un-splittable plug, it's because nobody in their right mind would get an AX1200 for any kind of system that would end up only needing a 4pin.

That said, the Corsair plugs clip together really well. It may be that you just didn't notice
    Nah, it is actually splittable, I'm sitting here looking at it this very moment. Both of them split, although my board takes 2 8 pins so I don't need to do so.