Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Which is entirely his opinion, I think the Song of Fire and Ice series is one of the better book series i've read, miles better than Tolkiens work at anyrate (which is what everyone i've spoken to about it seems to compare it to).
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.
    Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!

ASoIaF is one of the best, if not the best book series I've read, but I'm a sucker for epic and fantasy.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.
    Plot structure turns in it's sleep.

I'm sometimes worried if he even knows how to end it all.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-09-25 at 01:26 PM.

EDIT: Can't delete for some reason...
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2013-09-30 at 09:14 AM.

Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.

Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.
    He didn't strike me as super old in the books.

He didn't strike me as super old in the books.
    Agreed. This guy looks just a tiny bit younger than I imagined. But other than that, he looks almost exactly as I imagined him.

I imagined him older as well, I had the impression he'd been around for a bit, maybe in his 40s. But I'm sure this guy will be just fine.

I also loved Martin's comments on how a certain set piece is shaping up for season 4 of the show:

"It looks spectacular. The bride's dress incorporates roses, there are 77 courses at the dinner feast, and there's some wonderful halftime entertainment."

well age is a bit different in that time of the world than it is for us

in the 12th/13th century the average lifespan was 43 years

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    well age is a bit different in that time of the world than it is for us

in the 12th/13th century the average lifespan was 43 years
    While it's based off of those times... it's not. It's fantasy. There's many people 70-90 years old in these stories.

Sort of. While yes it's not uncommon for people to live to ages far older than the traditional medieval Earth analog, there was a reason for characters like the Stark children to be much younger in the books than they are portrayed as in the show. People "come of age" far earlier in ASoIaF than in the show and that is in keeping with Earth history norms.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    While it's based off of those times... it's not. It's fantasy. There's many people 70-90 years old in these stories.
    They are kind of noble and unique most of the time though.

They are kind of noble and unique most of the time though.
    and tbh it's usually the high ranking noblemen, whose life was much easier. While it wasn't unheard of for nobility to reach 60+, the lifespan for your average peon was about 40, for a soldier about 30.
    Reading A Song of Ice and Fire is like playing with an adorable puppy, then someone comes up out of nowhere, shoots the puppy and punches you in the face.

Stands in front of 100 enemies with 10% health left "Myeh, I'll save my potions for when I REALLY need them." - every rpg player ever.

Neil Marshall confirmed to be directing in Season 4. Battle at the Wall anyone?. If he can make that as good as Blackwater, i'm even more pumped for S4.

Three Eyed Raven cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/10/th...ed-raven-cast/

Looks interesting, hopefully it means they'll be cutting a lot of the "Bran is going North" crap out, worst parts of Dance by far.

Three Eyed Raven cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/10/th...ed-raven-cast/

Looks interesting, hopefully it means they'll be cutting a lot of the "Bran is going North" crap out, worst parts of Dance by far.
    God I hope so... I never skip chapters, but man Bran's chapters were pushing it...
    Reading A Song of Ice and Fire is like playing with an adorable puppy, then someone comes up out of nowhere, shoots the puppy and punches you in the face.

Stands in front of 100 enemies with 10% health left "Myeh, I'll save my potions for when I REALLY need them." - every rpg player ever.

I quite enjoyed them after a while! As soon as he was past the wall, I thought it got pretty interesting.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    God I hope so... I never skip chapters, but man Bran's chapters were pushing it...
    Those were painful and I skipped some on a second read through

Sometimes I feel I'm the only person in the world who actually enjoyed reading Bran and Ironborn chapters.