Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Yes I am only talking about season 4 thus far.
    Ok lol Makes sense. Season 4 looks as if it has been trimmed down into a few major arcs. I guess I am just looking ever further forward and just wondering how the hell they are going to work it.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    My brother constantly tells me to read the books. And my friend constantly tells me to watch the TV version.

Which is better? And in which order?
    They are both very good, so I think it doesn't matter. I watched Season 1 before reading, then read the books before it continued. Either way was fine.

In terms of quality, books 1 and 3 were wonderful; the other's dragged a bit in places (my eyes glazed over on the Bran, Dany chapters ...). I actually think the TV show is better TV than the books are literature, but that's a bit unfair as so much of the plot and dialogue of the TV show is just taken from the books. There are minor deviations, but it's remarkably faithful. Some of the TV actors nail their parts so well; I find it hard to separate book Tyrion from Peter Dinklage Tyrion, for example (although Peter's is probably sweeter).

The books are better.

However, the TV series are better as TV series than the books are as literature.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    They are both very good, so I think it doesn't matter. I watched Season 1 before reading, then read the books before it continued. Either way was fine.
    This wouldn't make much of an impact though since season 1 and book 1 were incredibly close. Season 2 is where they start to veer off more

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    You think they are going to skip the entire Sam arc where he ends up meeting Arya and goes for his maester training? Or are you just talking about for season 4/second half of book 3? Season 3 I can see being wrapped up easier, but going into season 4, there is just so much going on.
    Last I checked in the books, that was like, the equivalent of a scene. He didn't even know who she was. The heading back to Westeros bit is important, though.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Last I checked in the books, that was like, the equivalent of a scene. He didn't even know who she was. The heading back to Westeros bit is important, though.
    Just a scene for the actual meet, sure. But there has to be build up of him getting there and getting back. He can't just show up for funsies. It's possible they could cut that trip out entirely, they know stuff we don't about the books that aren't out yet, so maybe it's pointless. I doubt it though, why would it be in there.

Someone has to die during that trip though, as I'm sure you recall. I guess that could be done elsewhere, but I always viewed their trip across the Narrow Sea as a way for Aemon to realize Dany was alive and had hatched dragons, and she was the prophecy reborn, as her rise to power is mainly contained to the lands East of the Narrow Sea. Then he dies, and it's really up to Sam to spread the word of dragons in Westeros in Oldtown. For that reason alone, I think that journey has to be shown in the TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Someone has to die during that trip though, as I'm sure you recall. I guess that could be done elsewhere, but I always viewed their trip across the Narrow Sea as a way for Aemon to realize Dany was alive and had hatched dragons, and she was the prophecy reborn, as her rise to power is mainly contained to the lands East of the Narrow Sea. Then he dies, and it's really up to Sam to spread the word of dragons in Westeros in Oldtown. For that reason alone, I think that journey has to be shown in the TV series.
    Yeah. This is what I mean when I say how I don't understand they are going to fit so much content in lol There are so many paths to follow and events to show. Books Four and Five should take like 4 seasons of show just to get through.

I think they should slow down with moving through the content. Book 6 isn't even done yet, so let's not be hasty in pushing the story along so fast

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but I came across this hauntingly beautiful gem. If I didn't know better I'd think it were a song by HBO/GRRM themselves. I hope this makes it into season 4, for a few, err, pivotal scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The books are better.

However, the TV series are better as TV series than the books are as literature.
    What. What does that even mean.
    Belief can become reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    What. What does that even mean.
    I think what he's trying to say is if you compare the TV Show to other TV Shows its better overall than if you compared the Books to other Books.

Which is entirely his opinion, I think the Song of Fire and Ice series is one of the better book series i've read, miles better than Tolkiens work at anyrate (which is what everyone i've spoken to about it seems to compare it to).

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Which is entirely his opinion, I think the Song of Fire and Ice series is one of the better book series i've read, miles better than Tolkiens work at anyrate (which is what everyone i've spoken to about it seems to compare it to).
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.
    Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!

ASoIaF is one of the best, if not the best book series I've read, but I'm a sucker for epic and fantasy.

Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.
    Plot structure turns in it's sleep.

I'm sometimes worried if he even knows how to end it all.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-09-25 at 01:26 PM.

EDIT: Can't delete for some reason...
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2013-09-30 at 09:14 AM.

Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.
    He didn't strike me as super old in the books.

He didn't strike me as super old in the books.
    Agreed. This guy looks just a tiny bit younger than I imagined. But other than that, he looks almost exactly as I imagined him.