Quote Originally Posted by aej View Post
    "Winterfell!"

"Hot pie! Hot pie!"

I seriously laughed so hard when I read that. And then I cried.

Where is the gold hidden in the village? The worst part for me in the series.. fuck.
    Eh I'd say there are a few more soul crushing parts in the third book, let alone "A Feast for Crows" (It lives up to its name...) then that. But I won't go any further with that for fear of dropping spoilers.

10+ Year Old Account
    <Kraken's Daughter>
    I'd almost forgotten about her. She and Melisandre are certainly the highest on my must-see list for season two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it the 12th yet? /sigh

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Is it the 12th yet? /sigh
    I know the feeling, however i just started a new job and im about 65% through aFfC and may not have time to finish it before aDwD comes out

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm close to finishing the first book now. The series is EXTREMELY faithful to the books. Pretty much every spoken line in the series is taken directly, word for word from the book. A few scenes are rearrange for dramaturgy, and the ending was a bit condensed but overall everything important in the (first) book was in the (first season) of the series. Now that's really cool.

I never was that much of a book person (I've read, or rather devoured, the Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings, and the Ciaphas Cain - HERO OF THE IMPERIUM books, but that's about it). But good heavens, I just can't stop reading Song of Ice and Fire. It's superbly written, every single character and background info is really interesting (I loved when Maester Luwin told Bran the background story of how the first men came to be, and the children of the forest and all that), and much more.

Anyway, back to topic, I found this little gem in one of my google+ sparks recently:
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Ive noticed a couple of neat things from the first book/season that remind me of things IRL (besides all the war of the roses references). Jeoffery LOVES playing with his crossbow, i don't think he ever really uses any other weapon in the series (besides the "gift" that he uses once"). Throughout History whenever and wherever the crossbow has been used it has either been referred to as a "coward" weapon or a "peasant" weapon due to it's armor piercing power and ease to use. In medieval Europe there was an 80 year period where it's use was completely banned by the pope with excommunication as punishment for it's use (this happened because Richard, the king of England was killed by a crossbow bolt shot by a peasant levee and the pope thought a weapon that could do such a thing in the hands of a peasant was ungodly). Kind of fits his personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brienne of Tarth has officially been cast:

http://hbowatch.com/gwendoline-chris...of-thrones-s2/

TALL girl. I bit too pretty, but makeup can fix that. Hope they have her hitting the weights quickly.

Also it's been reported that Gemma Whelan has been cast as Asha Grejoy... but they're changing Asha's name to Yara?!?!?! WTF???

Compensates for Cersei not being pretty enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoeii View Post
    Compensates for Cersei not being pretty enough
    I don't know about that. She isn't a bombshell, but Lena Heady is beautiful to me (I just hate the wig. What? They can't die her hair???)

I am really - what's the word I'm looking for? - unsure... about this Asha/Yara. Doesn't seem right for the role at all. Shae part deux in the making. Then again, many said the same of Mark Addy for Robert and he hit it out of the park, so time will tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure about this, but we'll see. Yara though... ugh.

Briene: At 6'3-6'4, it should be fun watching her with Jaime. lol

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Holy smokes she is TALL Just need her to build some muscle now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy smokes she is TALL Just need her to build some muscle now.
    Padding and armor will give the illusion for now. We shouldn't see her in anything else (or nothing as one scene may have if included) until year 3.

Some prosthetic teeth, makeup and or prosthetic for a broader nose, and string her hair up a bit, and we're as close as we're likely to get.
    Last edited by Disenchanted; 2011-07-08 at 03:01 AM.

You're right. Padding should be fine for now. Chainmail alone would probably work over clothes.

About this Yara.. not sure how I feel about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    Also it's been reported that Gemma Whelan has been cast as Asha Grejoy... but they're changing Asha's name to Yara?!?!?! WTF???
    Probably so people won't get her confused with Osha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Probably so people won't get her confused with Osha.
    When I read the books, Osha pronounced in my head like the government agency, and Asha was Asha.

I understand why they feel the need to alter her name. Just wish it was something a little ... better sounding and closer to her actual name.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still think that changing the names as to not confuse viewers is a bit like treating the avarage TV viewer as an idiot. Sure, they most likely are but it's still a bit mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I read the books, Osha pronounced in my head like the government agency, and Asha was Asha.

I understand why they feel the need to alter her name. Just wish it was something a little ... better sounding and closer to her actual name.
    Aysha maybe? Aysha and Osha sound pretty different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Aysha maybe? Aysha and Osha sound pretty different.
    That works for me. A guy on Westeros.org suggested Ashara. That also works.

Deleted
    That works for me. A guy on Westeros.org suggested Ashara. That also works.
    No. Would cause unnecessary confusion with Ashara Dayne, who may still be mentioned as to confuse the viewers about Jon's parentage further.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    No. Would cause unnecessary confusion with Ashara Dayne, who may still be mentioned as to confuse the viewers about Jon's parentage further.
    Fair point. But I was thinking she may never be mentioned. We never even got a Tower of Joy story.