10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I just hope next season would have a wee bit better pacing. Last season had far too many characters to cover tbh, giving them all fairly little time for progression. :x
    Depending on how they follow the books, there will be many new characters they have to follow. I don't know how they are going to get away with 10 episode seasons from this point on considering how long the next couple of books are.

They've already pared down the number of characters pretty significantly as well as paced their introductions.
    ASoIaF really is a cast of thousands.

Once the events of books 4 and 5 get going we're really going to see a lot of new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Depending on how they follow the books, there will be many new characters they have to follow. I don't know how they are going to get away with 10 episode seasons from this point on considering how long the next couple of books are.
    Well they've already split book 3 into 2 seasons, Books 4-5 are going to take at least 4 seasons, maybe more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Well they've already split book 3 into 2 seasons, Books 4-5 are going to take at least 4 seasons, maybe more.
    Yeah, the split of book three into season three and four I know, it's just book four and five have so much going on all around their world that even four seasons to cover it might not be enough. GRRM is going to die! Good thing he let the directors/writers know how he wants it to end in case he does die.

Well tbh unless they add all that much stuff they now have just 4 quite nicely confined overall story arcs to follow rather than wut, 8 in first half they crammed in
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Well tbh unless they add all that much stuff they now have just 4 quite nicely confined overall story arcs to follow rather than wut, 8 in first half they crammed in
    Have you read the books? Characters start going off in 20 different directions lol

Have you read the books? Characters start going off in 20 different directions lol
    Yes I have but I believe things go as follow Since Sam was already back in the Castle Black in the finale of last season we don't have separate arc for him and most other end book stuff happens from Jon's perspective anyhow, including surprise appereance of Stannis that was already built up in last season and now he only needs to "surprise".

Escape of Sansa, Purple wedding and the following duel will probably happen at last 4 episodes with last episode being Tyrion escaping so that keeps King's Landing events overall quite confined and with our favourite Khaleesi having only one city left to conquer/govern/pass judgement those things get more cohensive pacing. First half of season is most probably spent fleshing out our beloved Dorne chaps.

Beyond that they really have Arya/Hound storyline which will probably be stretched over the entire season and her finally getting over sea is sort of "climatic thing" as with Tyrion's rescue.

Overall I think the starting setup for the last season of Storm of Swords can launch with great opporturnities for better editing and pacing overall

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I have but I believe things go as follow Since Sam was already back in the Castle Black in the finale of last season we don't have separate arc for him and most other end book stuff happens from Jon's perspective anyhow, including surprise appereance of Stannis that was already built up in last season and now he only needs to "surprise".

Escape of Sansa, Purple wedding and the following duel will probably happen at last 4 episodes with last episode being Tyrion escaping so that keeps King's Landing events overall quite confined and with our favourite Khaleesi having only one city left to conquer/govern/pass judgement those things get more cohensive pacing. First half of season is most probably spent fleshing out our beloved Dorne chaps.

Beyond that they really have Arya/Hound storyline which will probably be stretched over the entire season and her finally getting over sea is sort of "climatic thing" as with Tyrion's rescue.

Overall I think the starting setup for the last season of Storm of Swords can launch with great opporturnities for better editing and pacing overall
    You think they are going to skip the entire Sam arc where he ends up meeting Arya and goes for his maester training? Or are you just talking about for season 4/second half of book 3? Season 3 I can see being wrapped up easier, but going into season 4, there is just so much going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    My brother constantly tells me to read the books. And my friend constantly tells me to watch the TV version.

Which is better? And in which order?

sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm sure it has); I don't feel like reading 185 pages..

10+ Year Old Account
    The books are better IMO. The show's great, but it's still an adaption; there are things (increasingly so) left out and rearranged and generally changed up to better suit the medium. Most people who've read the books first will tell you it's suffered for it a little. Others would say a lot.

But eh, it's up to you. In hindsight I kind of feel I'd enjoy the show more if I watched it before I read ASoIaF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    The books are better IMO. The show's great, but it's still an adaption; there are things (increasingly so) left out and rearranged and generally changed up to better suit the medium. Most people who've read the books first will tell you it's suffered for it a little. Others would say a lot.

But eh, it's up to you. In hindsight I kind of feel I'd enjoy the show more if I watched it before I read ASoIaF.
    This is 99% true. There is one character interaction in the show that was not in the books that I really enjoyed, and that was between Tywin and Arya.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is 99% true. There is one character interaction in the show that was not in the books that I really enjoyed, and that was between Tywin and Arya.
    Yeah, some of the new scenes have been great. The Robert and Cersei one in S1 was really well done, and little things like Ned shouting "Baelor" at Yoren so he could find Arya was just enriching an already great scene. They do nail it sometimes.

Though on the other hand, they really fucked around with some of the best material in the books, like Theon in S2. It started out great, but diverted off, became rushed, and the ending was just... confusing, and explained very poorly later.

Then there's things like Pod and his magical penis. >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Then there's things like Pod and his magical penis. >.<
    Unbeliever! Heretic! Don't you see he is the actual Azor Ahai reborn? And he wields Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes!

Well, more like pink... spear... of heroes...

You think they are going to skip the entire Sam arc where he ends up meeting Arya and goes for his maester training? Or are you just talking about for season 4/second half of book 3? Season 3 I can see being wrapped up easier, but going into season 4, there is just so much going on.
    Yes I am only talking about season 4 thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I am only talking about season 4 thus far.
    Ok lol Makes sense. Season 4 looks as if it has been trimmed down into a few major arcs. I guess I am just looking ever further forward and just wondering how the hell they are going to work it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    My brother constantly tells me to read the books. And my friend constantly tells me to watch the TV version.

Which is better? And in which order?
    They are both very good, so I think it doesn't matter. I watched Season 1 before reading, then read the books before it continued. Either way was fine.

In terms of quality, books 1 and 3 were wonderful; the other's dragged a bit in places (my eyes glazed over on the Bran, Dany chapters ...). I actually think the TV show is better TV than the books are literature, but that's a bit unfair as so much of the plot and dialogue of the TV show is just taken from the books. There are minor deviations, but it's remarkably faithful. Some of the TV actors nail their parts so well; I find it hard to separate book Tyrion from Peter Dinklage Tyrion, for example (although Peter's is probably sweeter).

The books are better.

However, the TV series are better as TV series than the books are as literature.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    They are both very good, so I think it doesn't matter. I watched Season 1 before reading, then read the books before it continued. Either way was fine.
    This wouldn't make much of an impact though since season 1 and book 1 were incredibly close. Season 2 is where they start to veer off more

Last I checked in the books, that was like, the equivalent of a scene. He didn't even know who she was. The heading back to Westeros bit is important, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Last I checked in the books, that was like, the equivalent of a scene. He didn't even know who she was. The heading back to Westeros bit is important, though.
    Just a scene for the actual meet, sure. But there has to be build up of him getting there and getting back. He can't just show up for funsies. It's possible they could cut that trip out entirely, they know stuff we don't about the books that aren't out yet, so maybe it's pointless. I doubt it though, why would it be in there.