Someone has to die during that trip though, as I'm sure you recall. I guess that could be done elsewhere, but I always viewed their trip across the Narrow Sea as a way for Aemon to realize Dany was alive and had hatched dragons, and she was the prophecy reborn, as her rise to power is mainly contained to the lands East of the Narrow Sea. Then he dies, and it's really up to Sam to spread the word of dragons in Westeros in Oldtown. For that reason alone, I think that journey has to be shown in the TV series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Someone has to die during that trip though, as I'm sure you recall. I guess that could be done elsewhere, but I always viewed their trip across the Narrow Sea as a way for Aemon to realize Dany was alive and had hatched dragons, and she was the prophecy reborn, as her rise to power is mainly contained to the lands East of the Narrow Sea. Then he dies, and it's really up to Sam to spread the word of dragons in Westeros in Oldtown. For that reason alone, I think that journey has to be shown in the TV series.
    Yeah. This is what I mean when I say how I don't understand they are going to fit so much content in lol There are so many paths to follow and events to show. Books Four and Five should take like 4 seasons of show just to get through.

I think they should slow down with moving through the content. Book 6 isn't even done yet, so let's not be hasty in pushing the story along so fast

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but I came across this hauntingly beautiful gem. If I didn't know better I'd think it were a song by HBO/GRRM themselves. I hope this makes it into season 4, for a few, err, pivotal scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The books are better.

However, the TV series are better as TV series than the books are as literature.
    What. What does that even mean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    What. What does that even mean.
    I think what he's trying to say is if you compare the TV Show to other TV Shows its better overall than if you compared the Books to other Books.

Which is entirely his opinion, I think the Song of Fire and Ice series is one of the better book series i've read, miles better than Tolkiens work at anyrate (which is what everyone i've spoken to about it seems to compare it to).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Which is entirely his opinion, I think the Song of Fire and Ice series is one of the better book series i've read, miles better than Tolkiens work at anyrate (which is what everyone i've spoken to about it seems to compare it to).
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    Heh yeah, everything remotely smelling of fantasy always gets compared to Tolkien. Even when it runs on realistic character interactions rather than an idealised, almost fable-esque setting running on narrative imperative alone.
    Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!

ASoIaF is one of the best, if not the best book series I've read, but I'm a sucker for epic and fantasy.

Deleted
    Tolkien is the father of (modern) fantasy, he created a mythology where the world was the most important thing. Respect your elders!
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokann View Post
    I never said I don't. However, comparing Tolkien's stories of heroes fighting monsters with Martin's political intrigue is sort of daft. The basic ideas are polar opposites; where Tolkien's world runs on narratice imperative (something happens because it makes a good story, basically), Martin applies a more realistic cause-and-effect style of writing.
    Plot structure turns in it's sleep.

I'm sometimes worried if he even knows how to end it all.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-09-25 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: Can't delete for some reason...
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2013-09-30 at 09:14 AM.

Deleted
    Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Hizdahr zo Loraq cast.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/09/hi...zo-loraq-cast/

A fair bit younger than I expected.
    He didn't strike me as super old in the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't strike me as super old in the books.
    Agreed. This guy looks just a tiny bit younger than I imagined. But other than that, he looks almost exactly as I imagined him.

I imagined him older as well, I had the impression he'd been around for a bit, maybe in his 40s. But I'm sure this guy will be just fine.

I also loved Martin's comments on how a certain set piece is shaping up for season 4 of the show:

"It looks spectacular. The bride's dress incorporates roses, there are 77 courses at the dinner feast, and there's some wonderful halftime entertainment."

well age is a bit different in that time of the world than it is for us

in the 12th/13th century the average lifespan was 43 years

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    well age is a bit different in that time of the world than it is for us

in the 12th/13th century the average lifespan was 43 years
    While it's based off of those times... it's not. It's fantasy. There's many people 70-90 years old in these stories.

Sort of. While yes it's not uncommon for people to live to ages far older than the traditional medieval Earth analog, there was a reason for characters like the Stark children to be much younger in the books than they are portrayed as in the show. People "come of age" far earlier in ASoIaF than in the show and that is in keeping with Earth history norms.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    While it's based off of those times... it's not. It's fantasy. There's many people 70-90 years old in these stories.
    They are kind of noble and unique most of the time though.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are kind of noble and unique most of the time though.
    and tbh it's usually the high ranking noblemen, whose life was much easier. While it wasn't unheard of for nobility to reach 60+, the lifespan for your average peon was about 40, for a soldier about 30.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30