Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    Thats fine then. I do however advise to seek some help. Its not healthy to be spiteful towards something as unimportant as a serie. The fact that you cant just walk away from it and feel the urge to shitpost about it is a symptom of a much deeper problem.
    Lol. Thanks for the sage advice, mr. armchair psychologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    Of the four main story lines, I like that women play prominently in all four of them.

Cersei Lannister is obviously a major character around whom much of the story revolves.

Arya Stark has perhaps become the most interesting and her mysterious path has been fun to watch.

Daenerys Targaryen is a fascinating character and clearly is one of the major players for the throne.

Sansa Stark, the half-sister of the bastard Jon Snow, was imho ripped from the movie Taken as the stupid, clueless, spoiled, and entitled girl. However, her brutal education and coming of age have created an intriguing contrast, one who likely has a much bigger role to play in the coming days.
    I suppose. As long as it's not forced. GoT has done well to abstain from injecting any hidden agenda in their show, and I normally have a good meter for that kind of stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Lol. Thanks for the sage advice, mr. armchair psychologist.
    You are very welcome. Ill even help you on your way. Look here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=48721724
    Read the first page and then ask yourself: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    You dont appear to like GoT much considering u bothered to post snears in both the spoiler and non-spoiler thread.
    Wanna talk about it?
    Because it's true: the most "politics" we've had in this series so far was a brief glimpse of Ned as Hand way back in 2011, and a mention of raising taxes for Joffrey's wedding in season 4. The show has never really shown us characters actually running their countries, just drafting hundreds of thousands of innocent people into their petty revenge plans and making short-standing alliances with fellow haters before eventually backstabbing them for whatever.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2017-07-17 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Because it's true: the most "politics" we've had in this series so far was a brief glimpse of Ned as Hand way back in 2011, and a mention of raising taxes for Joffrey's wedding in season 4. The show has never really shown us characters actually running their countries, just drafting hundreds of thousands of innocent people into their petty revenge plans and making short-standing alliances with fellow haters before eventually backstabbing them for whatever.
    ??? There's been countless politicking since then. That's all Varys and Littlefinger do, and Tyrion has done a great deal himself.

If you mean showing day to day governance, I can't think of a better way to lose viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayv View Post
    ??? There's been countless politicking since then. That's all Varys and Littlefinger do, and Tyrion has done a great deal himself.
    Huh? As in providing convenient info when the plot demands or making promises only not intending to fulfill them? Of the three, only Tyrion has done any actual "politicking" and that was when he was managing Meereen.

If you mean showing day to day governance, I can't think of a better way to lose viewers.
    Then it's about high time people stop calling Game of Thrones a show about politics, because it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Agreed. I think the Lyanna Mormon stuff is a bit much at this point, they've made her way too mature for a girl who's supposed to be like 12. A bit of a fan pander if you ask me.
    Agree on Lyanna to a large degree. I get the feeling she's meant to be more like 8-10 also. They try a bit too hard to act like she's the most badass leader in all the 7 kingdoms.

I think the politics has largely been stripped from the show. A Feast for Crows, which was a book mainly about the politics of Westeros and the petty squabbling and how the peasantry is crushed under the large wars of Lords and Ladies has been largely absent from the show in general. It doesn't make good tv.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the politics has largely been stripped from the show. A Feast for Crows, which was a book mainly about the politics of Westeros and the petty squabbling and how the peasantry is crushed under the large wars of Lords and Ladies has been largely absent from the show in general. It doesn't make good tv.
    Neither does bad pussy :P
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Huh? As in providing convenient info when the plot demands or making promises only not intending to fulfill them? Of the three, only Tyrion has done any actual "politicking" and that was when he was managing Meereen.

Then it's about high time people stop calling Game of Thrones a show about politics, because it isn't.
    medieval politics, yes. Idk if you want to see them on the campaign trail or what. But you can't say there's been almost none...

Quote Originally Posted by Zayv View Post
    medieval politics, yes. Idk if you want to see them on the campaign trail or what. But you can't say there's been almost none...
    I would have liked to have seen how the rulers dealt with public outcry against their actions, particularly dragging hundreds of thousands of men into their childish grudge matches. The Northerns were acclaimed throughout Westeros, and the Baratherons were favored over the Lannisters; seeing how the small council dealt with this. Considering that the crown was in heavy debt and they somehow magically drafted tens of thousands of what are probably dissenting peasants, I truly wonder how they managed to pay and feed their troops so that they wouldn't just desert. Did they raise taxes? Surely that, combined with the unpopular opinion of the war would have sparked uprisings. Martin made a jab at Tolkien saying how he'd like to have seen "what was Aragorn's tax policy" like, and yet we see nothing of the sort in his series.

I feel Game of Thrones missed an opportunity to truly show the epic scope of the war by showing perspectives from common folk like trademen or farmers. Instead it's just a soap opera that mostly follows a bunch of unlikeable jerks you don't care for, with a stereotypical monster invasion subplot. Pop culture told that this was a live action LoGH, and that goes to show how overblown the fanboys made it out to be.

I'M NOT HATING ON GoT; if I did I wouldn't have even bothered typing this, since I wouldn't have even considered it worth my time. The very fact that I've posted as much as I've had here over the past few years shows how much I am intrigued to see at least how it ends. I love the set and costume design - second to Marco Polo (which was sadly cancelled) - and there are a few characters I care about. There was just so much potential here, and I'm disappointed in the sheer amount of missed opportunities, the poor execution of certain aspects of the tale, underdeveloped ideas, and how the fandom has overblown it.

I would have liked to have seen how the rulers dealt with public outcry against their actions, particularly dragging hundreds of thousands of men into their childish grudge matches. The Northerns were acclaimed throughout Westeros, and the Baratherons were favored over the Lannisters; seeing how the small council dealt with this. Considering that the crown was in heavy debt and they somehow magically drafted tens of thousands of what are probably dissenting peasants, I truly wonder how they managed to pay and feed their troops so that they wouldn't just desert. Did they raise taxes? Surely that, combined with the unpopular opinion of the war would have sparked uprisings. Martin made a jab at Tolkien saying how he'd like to have seen "what was Aragorn's tax policy" like, and yet we see nothing of the sort in his series.

I feel Game of Thrones missed an opportunity to truly show the epic scope of the war by showing perspectives from common folk like trademen or farmers. Instead it's just a soap opera that mostly follows a bunch of unlikeable jerks you don't care for, with a stereotypical monster invasion subplot. Pop culture told that this was a live action LoGH, and that goes to show how overblown the fanboys made it out to be.

I'M NOT HATING ON GoT; if I did I wouldn't have even bothered typing this, since I wouldn't have even considered it worth my time. The very fact that I've posted as much as I've had here over the past few years shows how much I am intrigued to see at least how it ends. I love the set and costume design - second to Marco Polo (which was sadly cancelled) - and there are a few characters I care about. There was just so much potential here, and I'm disappointed in the sheer amount of missed opportunities, the poor execution of certain aspects of the tale, underdeveloped ideas, and how the fandom has overblown it.
    Where do you wanna put all of that? To make it meaningful, you need to invest time, money and resources. Everything they do goes through a quality check and if it doesn't move anything forward, they're very unlikely to add it. The show has a very limited time frame that they can move in and they need to progress the story quickly now, and finish it in probably 16 more episodes, or roughly 17/18 hours.

Well, maybe you could argue that instead of everything in Dorne, they could have used that time, money and resource to tell the tale of the common folk. But how would that influence and drive forward the story? Personally I would even find it utterly boring to listen to a 20 minutes long scene of peasants complaining about the taxes. I do that too much in RL already.

The politics in GoT on a fundamental basis are quite crude and not that well thought out. It's all about the scheming, the unknown, the dragons and the magic. There is no need for an elaborate explanation of their tax structure. Just knowing that food comes from house Tyrell is enough to know that you should have them as your ally. I don't wanna know anything else in more detail. Rather show me more CGI of Dragons shooting fire.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2017-07-19 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Where do you wanna put all of that? To make it meaningful, you need to invest time, money and resources. Everything they do goes through a quality check and if it doesn't move anything forward, they're very unlikely to add it. The show has a very limited time frame that they can move in and they need to progress the story quickly now, and finish it in probably 16 more episodes, or roughly 17/18 hours.

Well, maybe you could argue that instead of everything in Dorne, they could have used that time, money and resource to tell the tale of the common folk. But how would that influence and drive forward the story? Personally I would even find it utterly boring to listen to a 20 minutes long scene of peasants complaining about the taxes. I do that too much in RL already.

The politics in GoT on a fundamental basis are quite crude and not that well thought out. It's all about the scheming, the unknown, the dragons and the magic. There is no need for an elaborate explanation of their tax structure. Just knowing that food comes from house Tyrell is enough to know that you should have them as your ally. I don't wanna know anything else in more detail. Rather show me more CGI of Dragons shooting fire.
    For reference, LoGH pulled off the "tell the tale of the common folk" part of it's story telling brilliantly: it integrated their story into the plot. We are invested in the common folk because the common folk we see are friends or family of the characters that are involved in the military or government; they return home to say hi to their loved ones and provides the audience a break/contrast from the politics and strategy. At the same time, get to see, not hear how the actions of our characters are impacting the world at large. It lended actual weight to the choices made in the conflict. Meanwhile, in GoT, I don't care that thousands of nameless people are starving simply because we are told they are and no one we care about is suffering as a result.

Actually yeah I'm with you on that. Lots of people have been asking to see commonfolk perspective on the Sept destruction. I think as a general rule, the producers only show these things when it affects of the the major POV characters. Such as Cersei's judgment from the Sparrow or when Tyrion and Varys walked the streets of Mereen (I think). But Tyrion also discussed politics with the slave owners, the small council meetings covered alot of issues, Twyin would often review or drop knowledge on politics and warfare, and LF and Varys are integral to the story.

But yeah, you'd think there'd be some reaction to the Sept being annihilated.

At this point, I don't know why Jon doesn't just declare Sansa Queen in the North, and let him be a general. It's clearly what she wants, it cuts LF's agenda off at the knees and prevents him from getting inbetween them, and he's free to do what he needs to do instead of arguing with Lords. Not to mention she's the rightful heir as far as anyone knows.

As was reiterated this episode, he's literally the only person in the hall who's seen the army of the dead. He's got more urgent shit to do.

Of course, it's the way it is to create the tension you mentioned, and it's all artificially created tension.

7+ Year Old Account
    2. I'm tired of seeing Jon Snow argue with a hall full of people where everyone disagrees with every decision he makes then he makes some sort of decisive speech and does his thing. It's happened like 100 times. The basic format is:

Jon Snow: "Assembled soldiers, after careful deliberation, I have decided to turn left!"
    Assembly: "What? You should turn right! Right, right, right!"
    Jon Snow: "I didn't ask for you elect me to command. But you did. And when I flipped a coin this morning to decide which direction we should go, it came up tails, and tails means we go left. ARE YOU WITH ME?"
    Lyanna Mormont: "Jon Snow is my king, and I will follow wherever he leads. Now I'm an 11 year old girl, so I'm slow and will probably fall behind, but follow I will!"
    Random noble: "Thank you Lyanna, for helping us remember our duty. Gentlemen, our king wants us to go left. I SAY WE GO LEFT!"
    Assembly: "Raaaaahh!!!!"
    ROFL - Jon season 6 story and KITN bullshit in nutshell.

At this point, I don't know why Jon doesn't just declare Sansa Queen in the North, and let him be a general. It's clearly what she wants, it cuts LF's agenda off at the knees and prevents him from getting inbetween them, and he's free to do what he needs to do instead of arguing with Lords. Not to mention she's the rightful heir as far as anyone knows.
    Not happening since D&D shipping Jon/Dany and have some incest fetish.

15+ Year Old Account
    I mean it seems like the only reason they're giving him problems is because D&D made them do it to create tension. Just once I want to hear Jon Snow propose something to his horde of nobles and have them go, "Hey that's a good idea".

It might also be that they're going to make Sansa a destructive force in the end (see Catelyn Stark, whose every decision was wrong). I hope not.
    If it wasn't a good idea then we wouldn't have to see it. It would be "cut to good thing happening" instead.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed. I think the Lyanna Mormon stuff is a bit much at this point, they've made her way too mature for a girl who's supposed to be like 12. A bit of a fan pander if you ask me.
    i disagree. just because she is young doesn't mean she isn't smart. she is a mormont after all and she has seen alot of shit. she has learnt how to act and what is right or wrong.
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i disagree. just because she is young doesn't mean she isn't smart. she is a mormont after all and she has seen alot of shit. she has learnt how to act and what is right or wrong.
    What shit she seen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

As was reiterated this episode, he's literally the only person in the hall who's seen the army of the dead. He's got more urgent shit to do.

Of course, it's the way it is to create the tension you mentioned, and it's all artificially created tension.
    If Jon abdicates to Sansa, he may lose the army that he needs to fight the White Walkers. He needs these Lords to fight, and the best way is to be King. Also, Queen Sansa would play in LF's game. He wants her to be Queen, and then to seduce her or force her into a wedding, making him the de facto King in the North. But it will not work, especially with the return of Bran and Arya.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"