Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Any1 else tired of MMOs?

I quit wow a bit ago.. tried DCUO--sucked. Tried Rift @ a friends--sucked. I feel myself comparing every aspect to WoW and coming across things that aren't done as good as WoW... TBH I think I am just losing interest in the whole MMO genre.

Basicly I need a new game to play that can keep my interest. I'm Pretty hardcore, so MMO would seem like the perfect choice... but meh. COD had it pretty close during the MWF4 era.. FPS with a mild RPG element in terms of levels/gun attachments etc.

Im playing Pokemon White atm, for nostalgic reasons--pretty fun, but can't play for hours on end. I've thought about minecraft?? but its kinda meh...

Deleted
    Know how you feel, im hoping SW:ToR is going to be pretty epic, also looking forward to Diablo 3.

I've been keeping myself occupied by replaying Diablo 2, working through a backlog of single player games (ME2/DA2) and a lot of League of Legends (MOBA/DotA style game).

It's easy to get tired of MMOs. Those games specifically make money by being huge time sinks. The more time you put into it, the bigger their profit, so they try really hard to be as addictive as possible. This is why so many people constantly complain about WoW - because they don't enjoy playing it anymore, but they are compelled to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So...for a change not a "I quit WoW" but a "I quit MMO's" thread?

Well..in case you care, I quit 3-D Shooters in 1993 and didn't make a topic about it..but now I have a chance to tell the world, so there.
    It's an off-topic forum post inquiring what other people are feeling towards MMO's at the moment, if you don't like it, don't post.

You're just burned out on MMO's in general. I was burned out on MMO's for a while myself, so I just played single player games, and FPS's, and did other stuff for awhile.

Perhaps you'll even move on from MMO's in general, some do, some don't. I'm the latter. After my break from MMO's in general, I found myself trying to find one to play again, because I enjoy the community feeling MMO's bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    seriously, most of you won't play that game anymore in 1 months.

Boub has a time machine?!

As for the feeling that other games don't live up to your first love MMO, its just like your first love in tehRL. Its something you have to learn to accept and put aside. My best memories in a MMO come a decade back in DAoC and I'm still waiting for a game to hit those notes. I still think back to aspects of UO and EQ and wonder why noone has ever been able to recapture the feeling. But a gamer must game on!

What are you doing on a site called MMO champion

I'm tired of the grind with 0 purpose like Todays MMOs. That's why I'm patiently waiting for SWTOR. Finally, a MMO with decent story, a purpose for what you do, and weight on your character because of the choices you have to make.

Until then, I'm not playing any MMOs. Just playing things like Minecraft, Dragon Age 2. Waiting for Witcher 2 and other games to hold me over.

Quote Originally Posted by rakkeh View Post
    Know how you feel, im hoping SW:ToR is going to be pretty epic, also looking forward to Diablo 3.

I've been keeping myself occupied by replaying Diablo 2, working through a backlog of single player games (ME2/DA2) and a lot of League of Legends (MOBA/DotA style game).
    Ive been playing a ton of LoL and HoN myself.. I assume DA2 means Dragon Age 2? If so, I LOVED the DA1.. I rank it in my top 10... but I disliked the EXP1 for DA. Hows DA2? I see a lot of bad reviews.

At the moment, yeah I am. Not playing WOW or any other MMO right now. I'll probably get SW:TOR when it launches. At the very least, it'll be a nice change from the traditional fantasy setting.

At the moment? Yes. Afterr six months of not playing warcraft, and I felt burned out by the grinding. I will never go back to warcraft, no matter what expansion they release because I feel they have offered the most they can. However I am also not playing rift. I want a unique MMO, one that has interactions, that isn't just a simple generic MMO. If I'm going to invest my time, 1000 plus hours I feel like I should get some excitement out of it! Even Rift doesn't seem to sate my hunger.

All of the typical MMO's offer is just grinding, level up, repeat. Perhaps with SWTOR MMO, the interaction moral choices my view will be changed. Or perhaps I just am grown up, grown out of playing MMO. However I will wait untill SWTOR MMO, to decide what I am going to do.

I feel the same, just that I'm not tired of the MMO, but of this MMO generation (WoW, RIFT, yes, even GW2 and SWTOR). Someone needs to bring out something groundbreaking, a real next-gen MMO.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I feel the same, just that I'm not tired of the MMO, but of this MMO generation (WoW, RIFT, yes, even GW2 and SWTOR). Someone needs to bring out something groundbreaking, a real next-gen MMO.
    How can you be tired of 3 games that have been on live servers for a combined total of 1 month? 2 of which aren't even in closed beta yet? I mean, I get that SW:TOR looks heinous, but at least GW:2 looks like it's trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    How can you be tired of 3 games that have been on live servers for a combined total of 1 month? 2 of which aren't even in closed beta yet? I mean, I get that SW:TOR looks heinous, but at least GW:2 looks like it's trying!
    I haven't tried GW2 and SWTOR, I'm just saying that they look like they're in the same MMO generation as WoW. Nothing really next-gen here.
    Tbh the only thing that makes GW2 look like it's trying is casting while moving and no healer classes.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    So...for a change not a "I quit WoW" but a "I quit MMO's" thread?

Well..in case you care, I quit 3-D Shooters in 1993 and didn't make a topic about it..but now I have a chance to tell the world, so there.
    He actually asked if anyone else could recommend other games.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    I haven't tried GW2 and SWTOR, I'm just saying that they look like they're in the same MMO generation as WoW. Nothing really next-gen here.
    Tbh the only thing that makes GW2 look like it's trying is casting while moving, everything else was pretty much done already.
    Fair enough!

I play Battlefield 2 occasionally, medieval total war 2 and Football Manager 2010. Looking forward to trying Star wars Old Republic and battlefield 3 when they come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Fair enough!
    I'm not saying I won't give them a chance though I'm pretty sure I will buy both GW2 and SWTOR (and TERA too). GW2 is imho the closest to next-gen.
    Last edited by Grable; 2011-03-16 at 07:24 AM.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

I don't think there is anything I can't do in wow, along the lines of three nights tops, at 3-4 hrs a night. (yes working and clearing alot of heroic 25's atm)

I'm using the loads of spare time to do other shit, mainly get off of the computer, besides when i'm watching documentarys on natgeo tv, with my kid and wife, or looking here to see whats new.

after wow i'm done. years of this has provided me with alot of fun, kept me out of trouble, and still does...

but once ya gone ya don't come back. Probably best to find better uses of the time, in the end, there were better.

Deleted
    Personally I'm extremely tired of all MMOs, I really hope the whole concept dies. It's just a manifestation of greed.