Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Question Japanese Carrying On Honorably

So the Japanese are helping one another. Also there is no looting or anything. The shelters are spotless and have recycling. Compare this to how much the football stadiums after Katrina were trashed. Also there is not looting or anything unlike the amount of rape and stealing after Katrina. Also people for example buy up all the generators during icestorms and one Japanese man, instead of taking the last 10 waterbottles left the rest for others. For a country that prides itself its Charity why do we sink so low when disasters strike. Why can't we work together like the Japanese do and are doing? Regardless of whether your American or European etc don't you feel as if we don;t seem to do that?
    Ben Kenobi "This isn't the signature you are looking for."

Quote Originally Posted by ryoukthebloodelf View Post
    So the Japanese are helping one another. Also there is no looting or anything. The shelters are spotless and have recycling. Compare this to how much the football stadiums after Katrina were trashed. Also there is not looting or anything unlike the amount of rape and stealing after Katrina. Also people for example buy up all the generators during icestorms and one Japanese man, instead of taking the last 10 waterbottles left the rest for others. For a country that prides itself its Charity why do we sink so low when disasters strike. Why can't we work together like the Japanese do and are doing? Regardless of whether your American or European etc don't you feel as if we don;t seem to do that?
    There was a poster on this forum that stated something about " American system is all about one-uping your peers to get to the top" or something like that. As much as I dislike it, it is true. Japan as far as I know give teachings and wisdom to each other and form closer bonds within their professions.
    Hurricane Katarina made me feel bad before I saw what was happening after the storm. Leaving dead bodies out in the street, killing people and looting does not make your country look good. Speaking of, I was thinking this earlier...

"How can you claim to be the greatest country in the world when your people run around like chickens with your heads cut off everytime you see a burn match?"

And chances are the Japanese people have had preparation and experience in this kind of thing

The Japanese trust their government. Americans don't.

Plus the whole Japanese way of life is built around honour, respect & manners. They have etiquette for absolutely everything so as to avoid appearing above their station or demeaning to others to the point where there's guidelines for paying for stuff at the store - that just doesn't sail anywhere else. I swear if half the civilised world took a page out of Japan's book the world would be a much better place for it.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Plus the whole Japanese way of life is built around honour, respect & manners. They have etiquette for absolutely everything so as to avoid appearing above their station or demeaning to others to the point where there's guidelines for paying for stuff at the store - that just doesn't sail anywhere else. I swear if half the civilised world took a page out of Japan's book the world would be a much better place for it.
    Pretty much this, though same pages are best left in the Japanese book...

Welcome to Japanese culture. Much less value is placed on self and much more on family/society.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only way to bring something like japanese societies politeness to america would be to mandate everyone carries a gun. It is a proven fact that if someone knows you have a gun on you they are polite to you. Unless they are drunk or stupid.

Japan is a strong country. They handled the situation well. wasn't the earthquake bigger than the 2004 one? And that killed millions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Japan is a strong country. They handled the situation well. wasn't the earthquake bigger than the 2004 one? And that killed millions.
    Japan also has a lot of earthquakes. They have them all year long to varying degrees. The 23 foot high wall of water crashing over the coastline did the most damage and killed most of the people that died, meaning not a lot of people died in the actual quake. If you look at any of the video of the waves you dont see any damage buildings before the wave hits.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This, it's not stereotypical, but for example, if a Japanese teacher doesn't consider a question worth answering (Not talking about serious level, from Primary and the beggining of High school, so it's not only the last years) he won't, here at home they do, mostly because kids think the teacher has to help with their doubts, and it's true to an extent, but while the teacher tells them to sit back if they aren't paying attention (And that's why they asked the question) back in Japan, the student just understands it, and goes back. Then they don't have self important shits who think everyone owes them something, that helps too.

Sadly, my society is also full of people who try to screw over each other, so that kind of politeness won't happen just like that :S I admire Japanese culture, although it just seems like I couldn't see the West and other countries adapting to it one bit, they are too calm, but that's in their culture, that won't change in any country, sadly.
    Last edited by JohnnyTKF; 2011-03-16 at 01:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Japan has always proved themselves as people who are honored,I mean back in Iwo Jima they where basiccly going to lose, over matched,no back up,no navy,air support, basically had what they had there.They fought against the odds,although they lost they fought for what they thought was right and now days it is really hard to find someone to believe in their rights when they are put in danger believing it.

Japan is known for their noncrazyness and holding themselves together,they are known of respect and even holding themselves in the worst dangers.Even as being as small as they are(although not as small as some) they are feared as a county(in world war II).I basicly would love to go to japan,even know.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

This sums it up exactly. The Japanese culture is vastly different from ours. We are extremely individualistic while the Japanese are very community (and family) oriented. Also, as a whole, we really don't prepare for disasters of any nature. There's some preparation but not as much as other countries. We'd rather fly by on the seat of our pants and run around with our head's cut off. Besides, look at a lot of Katrina victims, it took YEARS for the government to actually give proper aid and money to those who lost everything. A lot of people are still waiting or just never got anything and decided to start from scratch. Even in the direct aftermath the government was blasted because they didn't respond in a timely manner. If I was a victim of hurricane Katrina I don't think I could honestly say that I could trust the government ever again after their poor display.
    Last edited by Melodi; 2011-03-16 at 01:11 AM.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

I don't need to be racist or offensive, but Japan is a little used to nuclear holocaust, too. So if (my money is on when) the reactors give, they'll have it... kinda... under control. Maybe.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeleopard View Post
    I don't need to be racist or offensive, but Japan is a little used to nuclear holocaust, too. So if (my money is on when) the reactors give, they'll have it... kinda... under control. Maybe.
    Well, the comment isn't nice at all, but nothing prepares you for a nuclear explosion, because it's impossible to have something as bad with the control the Japanese gov't has. That won't prevent eco-extremists from raging over this.

2004 tsunami Killed 230,000 and the quake was between 9.1-9.3 and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 meters (100 feet) high. It is the third largest ever recorded. Taken from the wiki.

So the 2004 quake was far stronger and generated far bigger tsunamis.

And whatever anyone thinks, there is NOT going to be a Chernobyl style incident out of this even in a worst case scenario. The stuff happening at Fukushima isn't even 10% as serious or dangerous as Chernobyl was. When i've watched news reports of people queing for food etc the news reporters are always talking about panic and fear etc but then you look at the faces of the Japanese and they are all completely calm and some were even smiling.

I doubt any other country in the world could deal with this situation as calmly as the Japanese are.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2011-03-16 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shockpally View Post
    Japan also has a lot of earthquakes. They have them all year long to varying degrees. The 23 foot high wall of water crashing over the coastline did the most damage and killed most of the people that died, meaning not a lot of people died in the actual quake. If you look at any of the video of the waves you dont see any damage buildings before the wave hits.
    Also the volcano that erupted and the nuclear plant going haywire

Deleted
    Because the japanese have a completely different mindset and culture, and they are held together as a nation by pride and having been through tough times.
    These tough times don't stop, they have earthquakes regularly, they face this danger as part of their lives. I think it humbles them to a degree, and probably makes them appriciate in general what it means to keep together.

Ofcourse not all japanese are perfect, caring and wonderful people, but atleast they seem to know when being a dick has its time and when helping out has its time.

I want to think my own country, Sweden, has a similar mindset and helpful nature when needed, but we haven't really been through as much as Japan has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because in north america we never got hit by a bomb that wiped us all out, it forced them to work together and it just stuck with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTKF View Post
    Well, the comment isn't nice at all, but nothing prepares you for a nuclear explosion, because it's impossible to have something as bad with the control the Japanese gov't has. That won't prevent eco-extremists from raging over this.
    That nuclear power plant survived an earthquake of almost 9 on the scale, it survived the subsequent tsunami and the flood that followed, completely without blowing up upon it happening. It has endured more then anyone could expect and it is a marvel of human engineering. Once you study a bit on the subject, learn more about nuclear plants and this one in particular, you'll see what a tough b*tch of a plant it is.
    They just had really really bad luck, 3 out of 4 failsafes were damaged and malfunctioning.

A nuclear power plant can be made virtually indestructible, it all comes down to how much money you are willing to spend on building it. But the largest risk, the biggest cause of danger on them, is the possibility of human error.

The accidents in the US and in Sweden (Long Island I think it was in the US or something else ending with Island, and Forsmark in Sweden) were caused by human error, and are the worst recorded nuclear power accidents after Tjernobyl. But Tjernobyl was during the Soviet era, and it was all denied and covered up by them when it happened, or attempted to atleast, it was the dawn of the atom era and in the hands of irresponsible nutjobs.

This is not to say that I'm not for solar, wave and air power. They are efficient, without danger and completely safe for the environment, which is all good. Problem is they cost to make, more so then what you'd get if you instead built a nuclear plant.

---------- Post added 2011-03-16 at 02:44 AM ----------

Japan has the highest suicide rate of all developed countries.
    Their society has a harsh, unseen downside, many suffer because of the same honour, respect and manners that outwardly we admire.

But on the inside, they are just as terrible as any of us, they just don't show it in public.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizards Hat View Post
    But on the inside, they are just as terrible as any of us, they just don't show it in public.
    This doesn't correlate to being "terrible." Japan places a much larger amount of stress on its youth than is normally seen in the western world.