10+ Year Old Account

Laptop for coding/moderate AH checking.

Hey guys i'm a hardware newb :0. now that we have that out there. I am programming student, who is looking for a laptop that can run code/compile code well. and be used to some times check the AH and casual none stress leveling(IE no raiding). I use all sorts of IDE's mainly netbeans and most VS stuff. So its gotta run those well. my price range is between 500-1000 US. Good battery life would be awesome to have, but not entirely necessary. Basicly the rigs has to have enough balls to compile code and handle multi thread programming, and very large int/floats. I figured you guys give awesome advice down here so id give you guys a go!
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Any quad would be great. I'm sure you can find an i7 in that price range. Anything you get will be fine. You really don't need a gaming laptop to for what you described.

Going off your req's I'd have to suggest http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X...9200_Notebook/

2nd gen quad core i7 with hyper-threading ~ no graphics card under 700. This will obviously give you great battery life ~ however don't plan on anything more then walking around stormwind with settings on low.

If you DO want a graphics card just make sure you get one with "otpimus" this will allow you to turn off the discrete graphics card and just use the intergraded to save battery (will be useful for web/coding and pretty much anything other then games) As this will save you alot of battery.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulion View Post
    Going off your req's I'd have to suggest http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/X...9200_Notebook/

2nd gen quad core i7 with hyper-threading ~ no graphics card under 700. This will obviously give you great battery life ~ however don't plan on anything more then walking around stormwind with settings on low.

If you DO want a graphics card just make sure you get one with "otpimus" this will allow you to turn off the discrete graphics card and just use the intergraded to save battery (will be useful for web/coding and pretty much anything other then games) As this will save you alot of battery.
    That's a pretty good deal. And from what I've heard, the 2nd gen i5 and i7's have much better integrated graphics on the actual chip.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146848

Although this one is a little more expensive, the GPU should make your gaming experience very nice. On the screen's resolution you should be able to play mostly ultra. Plus, Lenovo's are absolutely rock-solid for reliability. You won't be having the "oh shit my HDD died and all my code isn't backed up" problem.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2150546

You won't find a better deal.
    -It has more RAM than your typical laptop under $1,000 which would probably benefit you a lot with multi-tasking.
    -It also has a slightly faster graphics card than what you would find in laptops under $1,000
    -Most importantly, it has the 2nd generation sandy bridge i7 CPU which you can easily find for under $1,000.
    -It has a 7.2k rpm hard drive whereas most other laptops have a 5.4k rpm HDD in order to cut corners and save $5.
    -You can upgrade the battery to a 9 cell for fairly cheap.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

15+ Year Old Account
    ASUS U36Jc
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2150546

You won't find a better deal.
    -It has more RAM than your typical laptop under $1,000 which would probably benefit you a lot with multi-tasking.
    -It also has a slightly faster graphics card than what you would find in laptops under $1,000
    -Most importantly, it has the 2nd generation sandy bridge i7 CPU which you can easily find for under $1,000.
    -It has a 7.2k rpm hard drive whereas most other laptops have a 5.4k rpm HDD in order to cut corners and save $5.
    -You can upgrade the battery to a 9 cell for fairly cheap.
    dv6 series are notorious for heating related hardware failures. I would steer way clear.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    dv6 series are notorious for heating related hardware failures. I would steer way clear.
    Most HP laptops are, however, that's something that a cooling pad should be able to resolve. Alternatively, you could always go with the laptop without a graphics card as someone posted earlier which won't overheat because it won't be able to run any games.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Most HP laptops are, however, that's something that a cooling pad should be able to resolve. Alternatively, you could always go with the laptop without a graphics card as someone posted earlier which won't overheat because it won't be able to run any games.
    The newish g-6x series remedied a lot of the issues. I have no clue why they're still using the same poor case design for the dv6 models. It all falls on an extremely poor heat sink position.