Deleted

Shadow Priest Rotation

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where on earth does Mind Blast come into our rotation?

One person has told me that the highest dps comes from using it on cooldown, another has told me to use either at 3 stacks of shadow orbs, or just before Empowered Shadow wears off to keep the buff up.

Does anyone know which one of these will result in a higher dps output, or perhaps even another suggestion? Anything is welcome.

Thanks

If you have an orb up, cast it. If you dont, dont

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Ignore the above poster
    2) We used to cast it with at least 1 orb up but since the 4.0.6 MB buff it's a DPS gain to cast it on CD but you still need to check ES and keep it up as much as you can

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    1) Ignore the above poster
    2) We used to cast it with at least 1 orb up but since the 4.0.6 MB buff it's a DPS gain to cast it on CD but you still need to check ES and keep it up as much as you can
    Which basically means only use it if you have an orb? casting it on CD without an orb will lead to ES falling.

10+ Year Old Account
    ES it's ony needed for DoT refresh you can still cast MB on CD and have your ES'd DoT rolling.

Cast orbed MB -> ES -> cast DoTs -> ticking
    MB off CD -> Cast it -> DoT still ticking
    MB of CD -> 99% at least 1orb is up -> Cast MB -> ES -> Recast DoTs -> ticking
    etc

Cast it on CD in 90% of the cases pretty much.

1 orb + MB off CD = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + more than 6.5sec left on ES = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES = DONT CAST

It is a dps loss to intentionally wait till 3 orbs since that will severely gimp your ES uptime
    Actually heres something I wrote some time ago
    Mind Blast is something that should be used frequently, usually used with at least 1 shadow orb to refresh empowered shadows. Whenever you refresh empowered shadows, you can afford to cast the next mind blast that's coming off CD without any orbs, since by that time there is still enough time to wait until the mind blast after that for refreshing purposes without jeopardizing the empowered shadow's uptime. However by doing so, you are slightly gimping your chances to accumulate any shadow orbs from mind flay, since the time spent casting the 0 orb mind blast could have been 2 ticks of mind flay, hence 2 chances to generate an orb. However in the long run these 2 extra chances are relatively quite small, and usually taking that risk (as opposed to playing safe) to cast the 0 orb mind is more worth it in terms of overall dps. However again there is an exception to this risk in the circumstance where dots are close to falling off soon. In that case I'd rather play it safe and NOT cast that 0 orb MB because I don't want to risk refreshing those dots in case I lose my empowered shadows at the same time.
    Last edited by zsun; 2011-03-17 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Which basically means only use it if you have an orb? casting it on CD without an orb will lead to ES falling.
    No... Like Zun just said it means you have to be aware of how long you have left on es vs how long the mb cd is. So as with the rest of our "rotation" there isn't a mindless always do this, you have to look at the situation and decide what to do from there.

Deleted
    ES it's ony needed for DoT refresh you can still cast MB on CD and have your ES'd DoT rolling.

Cast orbed MB -> ES -> cast DoTs -> ticking
    MB off CD -> Cast it -> DoT still ticking
    MB of CD -> 99% at least 1orb is up -> Cast MB -> ES -> Recast DoTs -> ticking
    etc
    Mind Flay is a DoT.

Deleted
    And every time you cast MF you refresh SW:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zsun View Post
    1 orb + MB off CD = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + more than 6.5sec left on ES = CAST
    0 orb + MB off CD + less than 6.5sec left on ES = DONT CAST
    Pretty much this.
    As long as you have enough time left on the Empowered Shadows buff to fit in another MB cooldown, go ahead and cast it.

Deleted
    So how do we begin our rotations and fit in a MB to get ES for dots early on? Thanks for the advice on fitting it into the main rotation!

Deleted
    I cast the 3 dots and then spam MF until I get the first Shadow Orb. Then I cast MB and depending on my expiring first trinket/enchants procs I recast dots even if they aren't about to end.

I usually cast sw: pain, vt, and then mf until I get an orb if I don't get one quick I'll throw up dp just to get that up too. After I get ES up the first time I switch the MB on cd depending on duration left on es method.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    I cast the 3 dots and then spam MF until I get the first Shadow Orb. Then I cast MB and depending on my expiring first trinket/enchants procs I recast dots even if they aren't about to end.
    There we go. :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsparrow View Post
    Mind Flay is a DoT.
    Sherlock is that you?

Deleted
    Sherlock is that you?
    He means that MF is affected by ES too so you should have it always up because if you don't you lose dps when casting MF.

I cast the 3 dots and then spam MF until I get the first Shadow Orb. Then I cast MB and depending on my expiring first trinket/enchants procs I recast dots even if they aren't about to end..
    Errrrr... I might be wrong on this, but I believe dots update on next tic with the improved spellpower from trinkets/ES, so there's really no reason to recast your dots, except DP perhaps, so you get the additional direct damage (if youre flush on mana).

edit, quoted the wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by Nasreen View Post
    Errrrr... I might be wrong on this, but I believe dots update on next tic with the improved spellpower from trinkets/ES, so there's really no reason to recast your dots, except DP perhaps, so you get the additional direct damage (if youre flush on mana).

edit, quoted the wrong post
    No. Only Pain, because of the MF refresh.

VT and DP need and should be recast