Healing Improvements (Blizz may be on to something)

2 months ago I had posted that I thought Light of Dawn was broken (because it only healed for a silly amount of 6k to 6 targets). Boy was I wrong about it being broken. Now that I am full epic (much more INT and SP), my LoD heals for 7800, and about 10.6k crit. Seeing these numbers makes me enjoy using it more, as previously I thought it was broken because we have over 115k health. I use LoD whenever I can, whenever it's appropriate, and whenever I want ..

With that said, I truly believe mastery will eventually be worth having. It's not really worth having now, but Blizz potentially has a reason for doing what they do. I mentioned LoD as an example of something I thought was broken, to absolutely loving it. I think Mastery will grow on me the same way. While it starts at like 10% of the amount we heal (so if your holy light heals for 10k, you put a 1k absorbtion shield on the target for 8 seconds), just think about how much better it will be in tier 13 (probably not 12). The amount of INT and SP we will have by then may make mastery worth having.

I have seen in other posts that it may change to a 15 sec bubble, up from 8 seconds. If that is so, consider the following. If your mastery is up to 18%, and you cast a Divine Light that healed for 32000, a 5700 absorbtion shield will be placed on the target (sort of as good as Disc Priest’s Divine Aegis). It also makes mastery nice for pvp with 15 sec shield. I still think 8 sec was fine though.

I can deal with a 4.5k absorbtion shield from FoL and 5.7k from DL. The current tiny shield it does now is almost useless to me. Moreover, I see Divine Aegis on the meters as a high amount of aborbtion-healing for Disc Priests. Right now Illumination Healing on the meters is like #7 for me (download a new recount if you don’t see Illuminating Healing). So I know the tiny bit of mastery I have now is doing minimal, but still something. With more INT and SP, our mastery will be as strong as Divine Aegis.

And of course, right now Pallys are either doing Int > Spirit > Haste > Crit > Mastery OR Int > Haste > Spirit > Crit > Mastery.... But I really think by Tier 13 (not 12), that people may change to: Int > Haste > Mastery > Spirit > Crit. I believe this for a few reasons. Pallys are starting to have more confidence with the changes to healing and conserving mana better, so haste will surpass spirit in priority. And if you're only having minimal mana issues, than Mastery may even surpass spirit. Additionally, I put crit at the end of the priority because you will still get some crits with a low crit %. But mastery will be like a crit because instead of healing more, it puts a shield on the target that almost makes the heal equally as effective as the chance on crit. But the mastery will do the shield “every time,” which the crit is “not” every time. Crit is one of those stats that you either want to stack or not stack, and I am thinking "not" stack, as the expansion continues.

As a final point, seeing how LoD has improved over 2 months with the increase of INT and SP, I truly believe Mastery has the potential to be a great stat. Furthermore, I predict the same thing for Mastery; it will improve as your INT and SP power increases. Therefore, I predict that by Tier 13 (not 12), that many holy pallys will consider: Int > Haste > Mastery > Spirit > Crit.

jup, i believe that aswel. mastery will become more usefull at higher tiers.
    but wheren't there changes comming for our mastery? not sure, someone mentioned it but can't find it anywhere on the ptr notes. haven't looked closly however.

I hope it doesn't get to the point, where the current mastery gets potent again, which means having enough mana to spam FoL and having so much overheal, that the hps increase is more significant. (that's why it was pretty dang good at the end of WotLK)

To make mastery useful, while keeping healing as is (weak heals compared to player health and mana being important), it needs to be able to stack to some degree and the duration increased (and no I don't think 15 seconds helps with that because boss AoEs often have 30+ seconds cd)

I agree with you, thanks for posting Nillo....

Deleted
    I cant see how it would ever overtake a spirit/haste combo.

The more spirit you can get, the more divine lights instead of holy lights you can do = more hps. The faster you cast them means you can get more in the same time frame.

Personally until they allow it to stack like divine aegis, it will never be better than any other stat.

I don't think spirit as our second stat will ever change. Spirit = more divine lights, in later teirs we will be using DL more.

I few things need to change before master makes its way up the chain:

Bubbles from HR.
    Stacking bubbles.
    Bubbles from Beacon.

Untill HR plays a backseat role to raid healing, haste will be king.
    Mattsvaliant - 85 BE Paladin - 135+ Mounts - Dragonslayer -

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsvaliant View Post
    I don't think spirit as our second stat will ever change. Spirit = more divine lights, in later teirs we will be using DL more.
    It changes in this tier. I cast more divine lights than holy lights as it is and if I casted any more I'd just overheal. You can't simplify spirit to that point either where you just take it as more divine lights. That'd make it the same stat as haste.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrixstorm View Post
    It changes in this tier. I cast more divine lights than holy lights as it is and if I casted any more I'd just overheal. You can't simplify spirit to that point either where you just take it as more divine lights. That'd make it the same stat as haste.
    Your not in hard modes then. Regular modes in full 359 alot of hpallies stopped reforging spirit, because in regulars u ran out of things to heal. The second yiu go into hardmodes again youll need all the spirit you can get. you will be supposed how fast you can still oom
    Last edited by lifteez; 2011-03-19 at 03:01 PM. Reason: on my droid posting spelling errors
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

Quote Originally Posted by lifteez View Post
    Your not in hard modes then. Regular modes in full 359 alot of hpallies stopped reforging spirit, because in regulars u ran out of things to heal. The second yiu go into hardmodes again youll need all the spirit you can get. you will be supposed how fast you can still oom
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...wordhug/simple

It is worth noting I run with 2 resto shamans, but you're still very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very wrong.

It is worth noting I run with 2 resto shamans, but you're still very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very wrong.
    its hard to say how much the totems give you, but ive never had a totem go past 25k mana overall. lets be constructive, and you can tell me that in your HM's when ur spamming DL non stop, you dont run into mana problems? theres always gonna be a fight you can do more hps on, if ur running out of things to heal then idk how ur wiping on the fight, if that makes sence. so unless you can say your doing perfect and no one can take a extra DL, or even FL, then why wouldnt more spirit help? i dont holy light anymore. unless im bored and tank healing(witch is only when theres nothing else to heal on reg modes)
    Last edited by lifteez; 2011-03-19 at 11:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

Unless it gets a serious overhaul like ret mastery did, holy mastery will never be desireable to anyone who knows their class. Maybe pvp holy paladins, but never pve...especially over spirit/haste and even crit...the current mastery will never be viable enough to be worth taking over those stats

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

In current healing design mastery can never be better than haste or spirit (or even crit). It is quite simple, haste modifier per5 stat point is about twice as high as mastery modifier. This means that even with more intellect and spellpower, haste will still be better (math is hard yo).

The only situation where mastery will be better would be if healing is reverted to Wrath spam healing as haste and crit would only add to overhealing after a certain point, resulting in over 100% overhealing. Effective healing from shields and hots would be the majority of heals you will see on recount and it would look like mastery is better.

I doubt we will see a major change to the design of mastery as that would involve Blizzard admitting they messed up two of the three masteries of paladins. It doesn't help there is a large part of the paladin community that doesn't understand the way our different stats work and keeps spouting uninformed rants like the OP.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

you also don't realize from your armory is that mastery dosent round and that .45 mastery on your gear is useless.

way to lecture people when you have no idea bro

Quote Originally Posted by Droeslol View Post
    you also don't realize from your armory is that mastery dosent round and that .45 mastery on your gear is useless.

way to lecture people when you have no idea bro
    You're an idiot.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You sound mad ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Our mastery is the wrost ones. I would like to see one that makes your HL/DL create splash damage like in WoTLK.

thanks for the info. couple questions, how does divine aegis stack? do you mean that the buble doesnt reset each time the heal is cast?
    also, so if Divine Light is going to be the heal we eventually want to cast a lot (sort of like Holy light in WoLK), will we want to stack just as much haste as spirit, sort of making the stats equal?

thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    thanks for the info. couple questions, how does divine aegis stack? do you mean that the buble doesnt reset each time the heal is cast?
    The way I understand it is as follows:

If you heal for 1000, a 10% mastery will get you a 100 point shield. If you cast another heal before the shield is used or expires, but only heal for 900, the shield will refresh but retain it's maximum of 100 (instead of 90). If you heal again, and crit for 1200, the shield will refresh and get bumped up to 120.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsurugi View Post
    The way I understand it is as follows:

If you heal for 1000, a 10% mastery will get you a 100 point shield. If you cast another heal before the shield is used or expires, but only heal for 900, the shield will refresh but retain it's maximum of 100 (instead of 90). If you heal again, and crit for 1200, the shield will refresh and get bumped up to 120.
    ^^ This is how holy mastery works

Divine Aegis would be: every shield created gets added to the original shield (so after a 100 Aegis you get another 90 Aegis before the first one is used the new shield will be 190) and the duration is renewed.

On the haste and spirit front, yes you want haste and spirit to be about the same as that would mean you have been able to avoid all crit and mastery gear. Currently (and still in 4.1) haste and spirit are our best secondary stats by at least twice the effective throughput of crit and mastery.
    Last edited by Sageless; 2011-03-22 at 03:24 PM.

haste and spirit are nice, but what about those pieces of gear with crit, why not change them up and be pieces of gear with mastery cause not everything has straight haste. Crit stacks so poorly that ur 1% u get from have 7 pieces with crit on them is barely anything compared to crit from int so why not up ur mastery a tad bit.