Thread: Disc in 10

Disc in 10

I'm in a 10man guild. I was disc in LK. I am using Holy now and don't want to drop Shadow, but from what I've ready it's really for tank healing now and I'd be putting lots of stress on fellow healers in aoe situations. "If you're awesome, it can work" is not the answer I am looking for. I'm looking for people who are disc in 10s, what makes their healing comp work well and any tips, go haste heavy, spec changes, etc. We're priest/druid/paladin. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash3 View Post
    I'm in a 10man guild. I was disc in LK. I am using Holy now and don't want to drop Shadow, but from what I've ready it's really for tank healing now and I'd be putting lots of stress on fellow healers in aoe situations. "If you're awesome, it can work" is not the answer I am looking for. I'm looking for people who are disc in 10s, what makes their healing comp work well and any tips, go haste heavy, spec changes, etc. We're priest/druid/paladin. Thanks.
    This sentence confuses me. Are you referring to holy or disc? It sounds like disc, but the sentence implies holy. I'll assume disc.

Anyway, it would help to know what your comp is. Disc is plenty viable for 10s but it would certainly help if you had a good raid healing comp without you, since PoH from disc loses a lot of its luster without constant aoe to make use of the guaranteed aegis'. I only ran disc in one raid (and it was a pvp disco spec) and we were hpal rdurid and myself and we did just fine. Depends a lot more on the player than the spec. I wouldn't worry about something so specific unless you guys are shooting for heroic modes, and even then disc is pretty great to have on 25's so I imagine it would be on 10 too.

Go Holy, have the Paladin tank heal because their AoE healing isn't up to par with other healers. Sure, you can get by as Disc, but Holy will do much better.

I run Disc though, but for these fights, I go holy:

Atramedes
    Chimaeron
    Magmaw
    Al'Akir
    Last edited by Vook; 2011-03-17 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

We run priest/paladin + shaman (/ele) in our ten man.

I switch specs as needed to min/max on new heroic encounters, and have yet to find a strong enough reason to go holy. Although, I found holy a lot better to play at lower gear levels then disc, at the start of the xpac.

Then again, I played disc pre-buff as well. So I might be alittle insane.

Disc is fine since you have a resto druid with you. It's only a really an issue if you're in a low raid healing comp.

Druids arent particularly strong raid healers you know, personally go holy - tried playing disc in 10 and it just doesnt have the benefits of holy.

just ask your guild what they need, i used to be disc/shadow in wotlk, went holy/shadow in cata. but after a couple of weeks, the challenge was kinda gone, so i switched to holy/disc. (got other healers with DPS OS)
    gotta say, i love my disc specc once more, atonement is really fun. and it's really good as well, i can go like back-up healer, 5k DPS 5k HPS just by spamming my smite and putting some shields/penance out here and there.
    also: it seemed that we needed a disc specc for doing heroics, cause the shields and atonements are really great, so that's a good thing.

just ask your guild if you can drop shadow to try disc again, if you don't like it (or like it more than holy), you can always switch one of the speccs back to shadow. give it a feel

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awazah View Post
    I switch specs as needed to min/max on new heroic encounters, and have yet to find a strong enough reason to go holy. Although, I found holy a lot better to play at lower gear levels then disc, at the start of the xpac.
    pretty much this. i used to play holy in 10m but were atm only doing normals and two healing every encounter (me and a hpala) except alakir and nef. although it was possible as holy, its ways easier as disc. even in heroics youll always want a disc. barrier > some more raidhealing , preshielding > reactive healing. holy is just another shammy/tree - disc has its nische.

Deleted
    I play disc on the cast majority of fights in 10 man heroic and mainly spam shields, there are situations where you want want to do something else, you probably want to penance on CD and sometimes cast Gheal or PoH or such but you can't really go wrong with shield spamming, it's incredibly easy and if you know how to manage your mana it is incredibly effective.

Disclaimer: This is not a ode to shield spamming, I hate it with every fiber of my priest body but sadly Blizzard seem to be unable to fix the Shield issue.

Deleted
    I'm disc in 10 man and use it for everything. I did have a holy spec for a while but I didn't like it so went back to disc. Our comp is very variable at the moment so being able to pick up the slack wherever is useful. Also I find the ability of disc to go all out with shield spam and CDs very useful - I'm normally top healer in any AoE situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dfarrall View Post
    Druids arent particularly strong raid healers you know, personally go holy - tried playing disc in 10 and it just doesnt have the benefits of holy.
    If druids arent good raid healers, then what are druids good for? lol

Druids are the best raid healers

Quote Originally Posted by Laurathansal View Post
    If druids arent good raid healers, then what are druids good for? lol

Druids are the best raid healers when no one's in danger of actually dying
    That's a little more accurate, now.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do most 10s as discipline and run with 2 resto druids besides myself. I have an atonement spec and essentially just utilize that, shield tanks for rapture, keep pom off cd, and use prayers of healing for predictable incoming damage. The aegis proc off it can buffer some of the damage and allows the druid hots to fill them up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awazah View Post

Then again, I played disc pre-buff as well. So I might be alittle insane.
    Same story here. Our team is rshammy+d/hpriest+dpriest, works fine everywhere.

---------- Post added 2011-03-18 at 10:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kalo View Post
    two healing every encounter (me and a hpala) except alakir and nef.
    Interesting, but Alakir is the single very best candidate for 2healing in normal Cata raidcontent. p1&p3: almost no damage. p2: very much healable with 2, it will be quite short with 7 dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Same story here. Our team is rshammy+d/hpriest+dpriest, works fine everywhere.

---------- Post added 2011-03-18 at 10:42 PM ----------

Interesting, but Alakir is the single very best candidate for 2healing in normal Cata raidcontent. p1&p3: almost no damage. p2: very much healable with 2, it will be quite short with 7 dps.
    I suppose if you're abusing the ability to spread in 10 mans then it could be more of a range issue to two heal, but yeah, I solo healed P2 for quite a while in a pug run where two healers + 1 dps died. It's really quite easy to manage as a holy priest since PoM bounces so often.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only fight I got real issues as disc is on Chimaeron - and thats mainly due to lacking some haste (or not doing it right - take a pick ). But shields on anything but tanks are sucky there . Haven´t done Al´akir or Nef for real yet so can´t make any judgements there.

Deleted
    I'm running the same healing setup as you, disc/druid/paladin and we have no troubles with the healing. Once you learn how to actually play disc by utilizing your cooldowns along with your other healers and tanks using theirs, disc is a blast. I love the utility of disc with barrier/shield/pain supp and so on, probably lots more than I like holy. I both tank heal(heroic halfus) and raid heal(nef normal, chim) and none of them are a problem with my current spec/gear so I'd say stick to disc and ask your other healers to stop slacking