Question for dog owners out there

Ok I have a 5 year old beagle and he's really great, he's cute, fun all that good stuff. Barkish too any of you hound owners know this

Anyways the question is

Why does he growl at me when I play with him? He's not mad, because he's wagging his tail and he doesnt have his ears down like when he does get punished or anything? I mean why does he do this? When new people come over that he's gotten used to after barking it scares them a bit, thinking he's gonna bite them or get aggresive. Even my dad thinks its bad.

I've heard this is how he talks, but I mean I thought barking was how they talked? And if it is how he's talking whats the point he's getting across? Is he angry, sad, happy? I mean all his growling all around sounds the same and I cant tell what it is. I play with him every day and he does this, when I play fetch with him he does this as well.

When he does get aggressive when we play he will growl as usual and I've gotten used to the growling and he will unexpedetly bite me, he knows he did something wrong and I scold him for biting me.

A bit much to say but anyways, whats going on here?

Its just basically the same as how we 'egg' people on, for example, when children play fight they egg each other on to carry on playing.

And is it a bite or a nip? because dogs playing together can nip each other, they even do it when they are pups. When he is growling, while playing, and his lips start moving up and showing teeth then its changing from a playful growl to a little more serious one

It's normal. Some dogs growl playfully when playing tug-of-war with you. Some dogs take the playing more seriously than others. It's just their animal instinct kicking in. Unless he sticks his tail between his hind legs you shouldn't worry too much.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Pep talk bro.
    he just want to get you all excited and continue on playing.
    aslong as he is not showing teeth and ears back its noproblem.
    and the biting is not anything to worry about , as poster above me wrote, they just nip no harm there.
    hes probably all excited up and happy.
    my chavalier king charles spaniel does exactly the same and i think most dogs do.

sigh... i wish i had a cavalier king charles spaniel... if only my dad wasent alergic to dogs, i will surely get one after the studies and moving out.

on the topic: when he growls its mostly because he is playful, ive seen a friend dog do the same and he trained is dog. its nothing to worry about.

They are a wonderful companion and friend, best dog i ever had.
    can really recommend the breed for everyone

he is telling you things, you gotta listen, that's all

10+ Year Old Account
    Growling and nipping (play biting) are part of a dog's normal playtime.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    It's normal.
    It's kind of a ... "I'm better than you! Come on!" pep talk.
    what he said! he just "anoys you" to play more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    It's normal. Some dogs growl playfully when playing tug-of-war with you. Some dogs take the playing more seriously than others. It's just their animal instinct kicking in. Unless he sticks his tail between his hind legs you shouldn't worry too much.
    yea no biggie, its just in their nature imo

"What are we, if not slaves to this torment..." Sylvannas Windrunner, Former Ranger General of Quel'thalas.

Thanks everybody. I didnt even think of it as egging it on

And when he does bite me its not a kind of nip, its teeth leave a mark for the next 5 min kind of thing