The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone play WoW at 2560x1600?

What graphics card are you using, and what kind of performance do you get?

I'm currently using a 5870 with 2x AA, 16x AF, and everything else set to ultra (except for water and shadows) and my fps isn't that great. I'm usually between 30-50fps. I've also tried lowering it to high, but that only gains a few frames.

Is it worth it to sell my 5870 and maybe go crossfire / sli?

View Distance is the big killer.

Also depends on what your CPU is capable of too.

Deleted
    i run 1680x1050

however i've tried running in surround mode, with 5040x1050. Thats awesome. However the fps drops from a solid 60 fps to.. around 40-60 with everything on max

i dont use AA since i cannot see the difference, and it kills all gfx cards, imo.

i have 2 * nvidia 480GTX and a i7 920 @ 3,6GHz and 6GB memory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    As for running at 2560x1600, you're MOST likely to hit the 2GB 32-bit application limit, since AFAIK, WoW hasn't got the LARGE_ADDRESS_ENABLE header and thus can't make use of all the RAM you'd love to dedicate to it and it certainly doesn't have a 64-bit version (shame, really). Performance would shift to being a more even split between CPU and GPU, other than being almost all CPU based. Performance would be based on your components. With a GTX580 and a Sandybridge 2600K with 8GB+ of RAM setup, i'd imagine you'd be able to manage 30+FPS without too much issue.
    The wow.exe file can be made to be large address aware with a simple program modification, and that will expand the amount of RAM it will use from 2GB to 4GB, perfect for people with 6GB RAM or more. Also it's been confirmed that Blue's tolerate it, they won't condemn people who do it even though it requires a "modification of the exe file" which is typically against ToS. I think they realize that people are doing it because in some cases the lack of large address aware or a 64 bit version are causing people's games to crash. The people who are affected usually have maxed settings with very large view distance, lots of addons, high resolution monitors (like the one in this thread) or multiple displays, especially those insane 3 monitor setups.

I'm currently running at 2560x1600 on a GeForce 580 with everything maxxed. I generally get between 40-50 in raids with everything going on and I've never seen it dip below 60 in Heroics and in the world. However, I do tend to fluctuate between 20-40 FPS in Orgrimmar, depending on the time of day and what's going on. If there's only a few people around, it isn't really that difficult to get 60 FPS.

Your biggest problem is probably video memory. In a lot of testing, I've found that actual memory has very little impact on performance past a certain point (I'm running with 8gb and I'm using the fix). If you're serious about it, I would definitely pick up one of the newer gen cards. Don't bother going Crossfire if your main game is WoW, since the performance gains these days are still sketchy. SLi is generally quite well supported, but I've heard of problems there too. I would always go with one, powerful single card than 2 moderate cards.

The large address aware was a noticeable difference in raids for me, if you consider 110 fps => 130 fps noticeable trololo

AA dosent effect my framerate at all, perhaps the old tech. dosen't handle it well?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    The wow.exe file can be made to be large address aware with a simple program modification,
    O_O

Why didn't I know about this sooner!
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    You have two GTX 480s but only a 1680x1050 resolution monitor(s)? :|

Ive been looking at buying 2 monitors for a eyefinity set up but I can't stand the bezels also im almost 100% sure you cant use hd3d with multiple monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    O_O

Why didn't I know about this sooner!
    This only recently was "allowed" by blizzard because it is technically a memory edit. But yes, this IS allowed now.

Just look up a guide to making a .exe large address aware, you CAN download someone's WoW.exe that is set as LAA and use it, but I don't recommend downloading any .exe especially relating to wow :P

Edit: On my old phenom using LAA was a HUGE performance boost in 25 man raids. On my current sandybridge 8gig setup it is ever so slight, I guess it would be benificial if I ran every addon known to man but it isn't really needed if you are allready able to max out settings.

A note of caution: I would reinstall when you do this because it has the possibility of causing crit errors
    Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo; 2011-03-18 at 05:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
    This only recently was "allowed" by blizzard because it is technically a memory edit.
    Its technically a file edit, not memory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
    This only recently was "allowed" by blizzard because it is technically a memory edit. But yes, this IS allowed now.

Just look up a guide to making a .exe large address aware, you CAN download someone's WoW.exe that is set as LAA and use it, but I don't recommend downloading any .exe especially relating to wow :P

Edit: On my old phenom using LAA was a HUGE performance boost in 25 man raids. On my current sandybridge 8gig setup it is ever so slight, I guess it would be benificial if I ran every addon known to man but it isn't really needed if you are allready able to max out settings.

A note of caution: I would reinstall when you do this because it has the possibility of causing crit errors
    Got consistent crit errors when using LAA like a week ago. Had to reinstall. >< Probably a f--k up on my part, but I'd still be wary when doing this.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using that resolution firstly on Dell 3007WFP and later (and now, although i don't play anymore) on HP LP3065 since the begining of 2006, with a lot less powerful cards than even the low end ones today. I belive i had the 7900GTX then. I also played with it in SLI, but there wasn't much change. Now i have wow installed on a hackintosh with GTX 480, and it is quite enough. But mostly i found that playing a windowed mode 1920x1200 on a 2560x1600 desktop to be most comfortable.

Just done the LAA change to WoW.exe, and will see how it goes with regards to performance. I don't expect to see much, if anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I could mention a few more things about it since some people seem interested.
    In that link that I posted for Large Address Aware, the guy made a program to modify the exe file with the one line of code that enables the game to utilize up to 4GB RAM, up from 2GB RAM. The first post in that link has been updated, so you don't really need to read the whole thread. The guy took advice from other posters and the program has been through multiple iterations, with the updated version in the first post of the thread.

The program is very simply to use, you basically just open the LAA program, browse for your wow exe (not the launcher, and not your desktop shortcut), click a check box, and then execute it. To reverse the modification, you just open it up the same way, uncheck the box, and then execute it.

Also in that post, he's got a list of 32-bit games that people have successfully used the LAA modification on, and WoW is on that list.

There's also another handy program that he wrote called Process Monitor, linked in that post. It's a running graph of how much memory a specific program is running, so you can see whether your WoW would benefit from LAA, or whether it exceeds 2GB when you've enabled LAA. The windows version Resource Monitor does have graphs but only your total computer's usage and not for individual programs. The data for individual programs in Resource Monitor only shows the "current" amount and doesn't track it over time, so you can't really effectively see how much RAM you are using while doing intensive things like raiding. With Process Monitor you can, because you leave it running, and during a break in your raid you tab to it and it'll have the graph showing your usage while you were busy raiding.

I recommend using this program rather than downloading someone's modified exe files for 3 reasons:
    1. Safety... don't download random exe files... unless you like having keyloggers or worse.
    2. Updates. Everytime there's a wow patch the exe file will be changed and you'll need to re-apply the LAA modification. If you have the program, you can do this immediately. If you download modified exe files instead, you have to go searching for someone's file every patch and it might take a few days/weeks for one to finally turn up somewhere on the internet.
    3.You can use this LAA modification for other games and also programs too.

Large Address Aware: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=112556
    Process Monitor: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh....php?p=1732756
    Last edited by Plasmon; 2011-03-18 at 06:52 PM.

I currently run WoW at 7680x1600 (3x Dell u3011's). Full settings, typically get 40-60 fps.