Thread: Need help

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Need help

I'm buying a new laptop for my mother's birthday and have about 400 dollars to spend not looking for anything really fancy she only plays simple games would http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220911 be a good choice?
    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Looks decent enough for the price. Asus is generally regarded as a good brand (especially in the gaming community). Has adequate RAM and a decent processor (I prefer the i series, but there's no reason to spring for an i3/5 if she's not going to be gaming), HDD isn't too big or too small, etc. I'm not a huge fan of Windows 7 Home, I'd almost always suggest Ultimate/Professional, but once again, she doesn't need anything too fancy for what it will be used for.

If you are happy with the price, I'd say go for it.

Oh man, Chi Town? Haven't met someone who knew what Rifts was in a long time.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another vote for this machine. It's very simplistic, but it sounds like she doesn't need anything powerful. Good pick

Go with this one instead, one hell of a deal and the i3 CPU sure is a nice step up from that Asus:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2151192
    Last edited by nwo; 2011-03-18 at 08:20 PM.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    Go with this one instead, one hell of a deal and the i3 CPU sure is a nice step up from that Asus:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2151192
    I'd call it a step down for the OP's intended use. 2GB RAM is borderline unusable. Also Dell seems to have nice rip-off deal with that laptop with packaging RAM and HDD into same upgrade: if you want 4GB RAM, you also must up the HDD from 250 to 320GB.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to ask about that she had some problems with memory earlier and her old laptop had 2gb ram I figured more memory would be better then a faster processor for her
    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I'd call it a step down for the OP's intended use. 2GB RAM is borderline unusable. Also Dell seems to have nice rip-off deal with that laptop with packaging RAM and HDD into same upgrade: if you want 4GB RAM, you also must up the HDD from 250 to 320GB.
    I'm sure that most semi computer literate moms will have a hard time putting even 2GB of RAM to use. But yes, that Dell laptop is not the best buy, and they will certainly try their best to rip you off because from what the OP on that deal states, the hard drive and RAM are pretty hard to upgrade, which is something I have yet to encounter myself.

Only thing that makes that deal sweet is the i3 CPU which is quite a big step up from a 2GHz Core 2 Duo? and also possibly that 1.3MP camera if its going to be put to use.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo View Post
    I'm sure that most semi computer literate moms will have a hard time putting even 2GB of RAM to use. But yes, that Dell laptop is not the best buy, and they will certainly try their best to rip you off because from what the OP on that deal states, the hard drive and RAM are pretty hard to upgrade, which is something I have yet to encounter myself.

Only thing that makes that deal sweet is the i3 CPU which is quite a big step up from a 2GHz Core 2 Duo? and also possibly that 1.3MP camera if its going to be put to use.
    P6100 is based on Nehalem, not Core 2 architecture. All the i3 brings is hyperthreading and a clockspeed boost, questionable value for this laptop's intended use. All the power saving features are there.
    Super casual.

Might want to check out this fresh new deal that the egg has:
    Gateway NV55C38u Notebook Intel Pentium dual-core P6200(2.13GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-34101243-L0B
    $400 after instant savings with free shipping