Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Patch 4.1 Valor Points and Daily Dungeon Explained, Blue Posts, The Daily Blink

Ghostcrawler Developer Blog: Raid Progress
    If you missed it earlier today, make sure you read Ghostcrawler Developer Blog: Raid Progress!

New Valor Points and Daily Dungeons gains in Patch 4.1
    We finally have a blue posts about the changes to daily quests!
    Originally Posted by Lylirra (Blue Tracker)
    Right now, you receive 70 VP for the first random Cataclysm Heroic dungeon you complete each day. In 4.1, you'll receive 70 VP for the first seven random Cataclysm Heroic dungeons you complete each week. Similarly, you'll receive 140 VP for the first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroic dungeons (the new Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub instances) you complete in the week, too. Collectively, you'll be able to earn up to 980 VP exclusively from Heroic dungeons, which in turn will count towards your weekly 1250 VP cap.

By transitioning random Heroic dungeon rewards from a daily format to a weekly one, we'll be able to give players more control and flexibility over how they can earn VP -- which is cool! -- but this also means that we've a lot more bookkeeping to do in terms of where those points are coming from. To help with that, we're adding a "Valor Point bar" (similar to an XP bar) to the top of Dungeon Finder UI that will track your weekly cap, as well as how many Heroics you can still run for VP during the week.

We're going to be writing up a pretty big blog about that system since it's somewhat complicated, but here's what you can take away right now:

• In 4.1, running random Heroic dungeons for VP is now something you can do on your own schedule. Feel like spending your entire Saturday queuing up as random? No problem!

• The first seven random Rise of the Zandalari Heroics you run for the week will award 140 VP each. This is double the VP that you’ll receive from your first seven random "tier 1" Cataclysm Heroics, since the dungeons are considered a "step up" in difficulty.

• You'll be able to randomly queue for the Rise of the Zandalari Heroics separately from the tier 1 Cataclysm Heroic dungeons.

• Each week you can earn up to 980 VP just by running random Heroic dungeons. If you want to maximize your VP gains, you can still reach the overall weekly cap of 1250 by defeating raid level content.

This isn't yet on the PTR for testing. We'll let you know when it is, though, and will continue to provide more information as the development of 4.1 progresses.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    RSA Vulnerability and Blizzard Authenticators
    The Blizzard Authenticators are based off modified Vasco tokens. I'm sorry to hear about RSA's troubles, but it will not affect the Blizzard Authenticator. (Source)

People blocking mailboxes with flying mounts
    You may have noticed that a number of mailboxes were added to the capital cities so that, if you happen to find one blocked, it should be relatively easy to walk a few steps and find another one that remains unobstructed. Most vendors are located inside buildings where mounts aren't allowed too.

Having the option to use one's flying mounts within the capital cities is ultimately more convenient than removing them to ensure access to services which should be reasonably accessible to begin with. (Source)

Heroic Instance Tiers
    But, yes. The Rise of the Zandalari Heroics are considered a tier above the current Cataclysm Heroics. You can randomly queue for them separately, but you'll still only be able to earn at most 980 VP per week from running Heroics, period (no matter what tier they are). (Source)

Reasons behind the change to daily dungeon
    Some people don't have time to log in every day, but have, for instance, a lot of time on the weekend to play.
    We hear you, and we agree that asking players log in every day (or night) just to keep pace with their VP is a bit unreasonable and can sometimes lead to World of Warcraft feeling less like a game and more like a job. That's ultimately why we're making these changes. We want you to log in because you enjoy raiding, or questing, or -- in this case -- running dungeons, not because you feel like you need to complete a specific chore every day in order to stay viable/competitive. (Source)

Amount of instances in a week
    It sounds like you meant that you could do 7 total heroics; not 7 tier 1 AND 7 ZG/ZA... so its possible to get a TOTAL of 980 VP (Source)

Hitting the cap with the new dungeon dailies
    Even with only doing the dungeons (both types), you'll hit the cap before the week is over, without stepping foot into a raid.
    Nah, you won't. You'll only be able to earn up to 980 VP per week from running random Heroics, not 1470 VP (we're purposefully placing a soft cap on VP from Heroics). If you want to reach the 1250 weekly cap, you'll still need to run raid content.

Again, I know it's a bit complicated, so let me give you some examples:

Example 1:
    Player A has a blast on a Friday with his friends and runs seven Rise of the Zandalari Heroics, earning 980 VP (7 x 140 VP). The next day, he helps a friend with a random tier 1 Cataclysm Heroic -- let's say Heroic Deadmines. Because player A has already earned 980 VP from random Heroics, he won't receive any VP from the Saturday's Deadmines run.

Example 2:
    Player B kills 25-man Argaloth, Council of Wind, and Halfus Wyrmbreaker, earning 270 VP on Tuesday night. She then runs three random tier 1 Cataclysm Heroics during the workweek for 210 VP. Come Saturday, player B wants to kill LOTS of trolls and decides to chain-run a few random Rise of the Zandalari Heroics. At this point, player B has 770 VP available to be earned from Heroic dungeons (980 VP - 210 VP). This means she can run six of those dungeons -- for the first five, she'll get 140 VP; for the sixth, only 70 VP.

Example 3:
    Player C raids a lot of bosses, killing 10 of them with 24 of his peers on Tuesday/Wednesday, earning 900 VP. He can still earn 350 VP before hitting the weekly cap. The 980 VP Heroic dungeon cap won't affect him at this point. He can do five tier 1 Heroics -- or three Rise of the Zandalari Heroics, or two Rise of the Zandalari Heroic + one tier 1 Heroic -- to earn those 350 VP.

This is all much easier to understand with pictures (which we'll be sure include in spades in the blog post), but I hope the above makes sense for now. (Source)

Fan Arts
    The Blizzard Fan Art Section has been updated with nine new pieces of fan artwork set within the Warcraft universe.

The Daily Blink - Okay, One More Movie Poster
    I guess this is very relevant today.

Last edited by Boubouille; 2011-03-19 at 02:43 AM.

Sounds great, I like the idea of being able to get all my JP grinding done on the weekend when I actually have time.

10+ Year Old Account
    First? Nice going with the Vp system

Damn you!!! 3rd i guess :P

10+ Year Old Account
    God im loving the daily blink!

sweet jesus

im a bit confused, so the weekly VP cap is 1250 is that including raids. Because that would suck if it did.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Great changes to randoms.

I LOVE THE DUNGEON CHANGE! This fledgling career woman with a busy week but loads of weekend free time = very happy now.

"you'll be able to earn up to 980 VP exclusively from Heroic dungeons, which in turn will count towards your weekly 1250 VP cap."
    WTF?!?!?! you can earn almost your whole cap from just 5 mans?!?!?! that is unacceptable. GJ bliz on falling back to world of 5mancraft.

Ugh, I wish whoever keeps accepting the KAWAII DESU anime art into the fanart gallery would stop; it just doesn't fit in right at all and half the time you cant even tell it's supposed to be a warcraft character aside from certain armor pieces and a name tacked on. There was a night elf one a while back that I wouldn't have guessed in a million years was supposed to be a night elf :\

Deleted
    I'm going to love being able to do all my random HCs in one day, instead of logging on every day. But you can earn just under 80% of your weekly VP cap without doing any raid content at all? I think that's one of the worst moves Blizzard has made in the entirety of this expansion. Unacceptable, IMO.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeybutt22345 View Post
    "you'll be able to earn up to 980 VP exclusively from Heroic dungeons, which in turn will count towards your weekly 1250 VP cap."
    WTF?!?!?! you can earn almost your whole cap from just 5 mans?!?!?! that is unacceptable. GJ bliz on falling back to world of 5mancraft.
    I don't think this is unacceptable at all. If you're in a good raiding guild making progress, you'll be picking up valor quickly as well as raid drops, possibly heroics (which you can't buy with valor) and on top of that, you have access to 140 VP random zg/za's as well. Also, unless they add 4pc t12 to the valor vendor in 4.2, you can get a decent selection of items to help you become raid ready, but you can't put a whole set together unless you actually raid.

I see this as a huge buff for convenience of the players, as well as for gearing alts so that you can enjoy raids on multiple characters if you so choose, or at the very least you might have an acceptable substitute char if a healer is MIA come raid time.

so you can get roughly 80% of your VPs, to buy the highest non-heroic raid gear by doing non-raid content? Jesus Christ blizzard how does that make ANY sense whatsoever? why do these people need that level of gear if they arn't going to raid in the first place? its called RAID-gear for a reason damnit

Quote Originally Posted by tyden49 View Post
    im a bit confused, so the weekly VP cap is 1250 is that including raids. Because that would suck if it did.
    The Blue explained quite well. The 1250 cap is including raids and heroics. Heroics are soft capped at 980, and apparently only the first 7 heroics of each tier matter.
    Players can get up to 490 points if they run just the first tier heroics, up to 980 points if they also run the second tier heroics, and reach the 1250 cap if they also raid.

If I was still playing, I would be quite happy with being able to reach 3/4 of the cap from just heroics. Really good change, and should reduce the gear gap between successful raiders and casual players - which I see as a very good thing for the game as a whole. After all, gifting the more experienced players with better performing gear is a sure recipe to have the content impossible to balance, as then the gear difference naturally nerfs it for the more experienced player, while keeping the initial, higher difficulty for the less experienced players.

Now that points have a weekly cap, I think Blizzard should make a slight change - move the point grants to the bosses, keeping the weekly cap intact and roughly the current amount of points per dungeon. They could even make different bosses grant different amount of points, based on how difficulty they are and on the amount of trash that needs to be cleared to get to them. That way, optional bosses would be skipped way less, since beating them would make the run worth more points, and even players that don't complete the run (but did beat at least one boss) would have something to show for their effort.

BTW, was just reading about Global Agenda (due to it's charity sales) and found the way it gives points quite interesting. Beating content grants points based on both the difficulty of the content and the time expected to beat the content - so a fast PvE instance actually gives less points than a long one, and the amount of points per hour should be roughly the same no matter which instances the player runs. It also grants points for failing at the content - between half and a quarter of the points for beating the content. I really liked the concept of having faster instances give more points.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuke09 View Post
    so you can get roughly 80% of your VPs, to buy the highest non-heroic raid gear by doing non-raid content? Jesus Christ blizzard how does that make ANY sense whatsoever? why do these people need that level of gear if they arn't going to raid in the first place? its called RAID-gear for a reason damnit
    You have been able to do that for a while ever since 3.2 but it is ok to realize now because you seem pretty hip and cool and have great words of wisdom to deliver!

Ugh, this reeks of Wrath.

Not pleased.

Deleted
    I can understand that the new HCs will require some better gear and that random HC players will need some gear for that, but adding 80% of the Vp cap in HCs every week? I really don't think that's a good idea..

It's raiding gear at the same ilvl that people worked weeks/months to get in raids and now random players that think the game is to hard will get it faster than they can say epics. Bad move blizzard =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay! It's gonna be another bitchfest of person A complaining that person B will get gear faster even though person A is already using VPs to sell boots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats worse then frost emblems

purple welfare all over again