Thread: Keybinds!

Keybinds!

Hello guys. I've been struggling with where to put my keybinds (this is a PvP DK, btw). On other chars I had no problems...but on this I seem to like...awkward. What I have now; (important ones)

3 mouse buttons; Mind Freeze, Strangulate & Anti-Magic Shield ---> Easy to reach when I need them quickly. I can keep those there.
    1-4 respectively; Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Scourge Strike, Festering
    Shift 1-4, respectively; Death Grip, Pestilence, Anti-Magic Zone, CDs (Blood Tap, Empower Rune Weap, Icebound) on mouse modifier
    Alt 1-4; DnD, Trinket, Ghoul Sacrifice, Outbreak
    Q, E, F, X; Death Coil, Chains of Ice, Ghoul Leap + Stun Macro, Rune Strike

Please note that I feel comfortable with hitting all those buttons. But, something just doesn't feel right...as in for instance, I don't like where my Icy Touch/Plague strike are. My question is; How do you guys keybind your stuff? Might work for me as well! I know I'm probably forgetting some important stuff, but I have them somewhere on modifier. I am unholy, and again, this is for PvP.

If a keybind picture could be posted, or any ideas how to improve, hook me up! I know it's a long/tough question, but I'd rather ask than do nothing.

Thanks,
    Chicken
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2011-03-19 at 05:55 AM.

Well first off if you need more binds you could use scroll up / scroll down + any modifier. After that you could bind C and R, and possibly T,G,V if you have no problem reaching them. Ontop of this you could modifers to your mouse buttons as well as the buttons Q, E, F, X for additional macros.

Personally i use 1 2 3 4 q e r f c .Shift { q e f } for dps abilities (or anything i find myself pressing alot) anything else goes onto the other, more awkward binds.

Well what I thought I could do is (I have a hard time using CTRL) to swap Cap Lock with CTRL when im in-game (I have a G19 keyboard) and use it as a modifier.

Any thoughts?

Btw, mind posting a picture of your UI?
    Thanks.

Not specific to a DK, but I shifted my movement keys over one column, to esdf to get more keys available. I find that helpful. Then I try to array abilities around those keys, for all my toons, in sort of the same general pattern. Index finger hits main attacks or heals. Shift modifiers on the same things go to personal power CDs or AoE attacks or heals. Bottom row is for in-combat utility (traps and slows and such on my hunter, hand spells on my pally, etc.). Ring finger hits major debuffs or taunts. Pinky hits shift, self dispels, and personal defensive CDs. Things that I want bound, but don't necessarily use constantly are a little further out. Things like pet-attack/recall (I also have it in a macro I use a lot, but I wanted a separate button for certain occasions), stealth, long cast-time heals for my pally in his prot spec - stuff I'll use every once in a while in combat, but can afford to reach for.

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Well what I thought I could do is (I have a hard time using CTRL) to swap Cap Lock with CTRL when im in-game (I have a G19 keyboard) and use it as a modifier.
    Seems like a reasonable plan. I use it as just another keybind, myself, but no reason why you couldn't switch it like that.

Using shift and alt modifiers on your mouse buttons can really open up several more binds very conveniently from my experience not to mention getting a mouse with a keypad where your thumb normally rests. You can always unbind R from reply and with both shift and alt there's a few more as well if you're comfortable with that.

adding shift, control, and alt modifiers to mouse buttons increases mouse hotkeys by alot, and since the keybind is split between both hands its easy to hit while moving/targeting/hitting other buttons
    Sig Made by Mipeo

My setup for every character involves using Shift E/R/T/D/F/G/V/C for cooldowns, key 2 for interrupt, keys 4/5 for self buff trinkets. My keybinds revolve around moving with A / D / W, strafe left / right and moving forwards is done with the mouse (both right / left click held down). I also bind alot of things to the mousewheel. All of my core abilites for DPS are placed around the movement keys, for example "Q" is Plague Strike, "W" blood strike, "E" obliterate, as well as the bottom four keys, Z / X / C / V for other DPS abilities. I'd us MS paint to paint it onto a blank keyboard for you but I don't have the time right now. Maybe tomorrow.

But you've got the right idea with your keybind setup, using shift modifiers etc. help alot, it's just figuring out exactly whats right. Also, if you're pressed for space... use the mousewheel! I think it classifies as OP when you're on a feral druid and you can spin the wheel forwards and shift from Cat -> Out -> Cat to remove slows in less than .1 seconds. I've got Chains of Ice bount to mousewheel backwards.
    Last edited by Lawlocoptor; 2011-03-20 at 05:55 AM.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub

1-6 TYFGVB 5 mouse buttons tanking ftw

My move keys are my number pad.
    ` is for Outbreak
    1,2,3,4,5 general attack
    q,w,e,r defensives
    I also use my arrow keys as special situation keys.

I'ts unorthodox but works for me. That is how you need to set yours up. Don't copy someone else, bind what works for you best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use Shift-Letter keys. You can also use Shift-Mouse keys.

Or if you're advanced try using Ctrl. I find it much easier than Alt.

Deleted

Using the full numerical pad via KeyTweak, which allows you to remap a key's function in windows/WoW. In addition to the arrow keys, Ins, Home, PgU, PgD, Del, End, Backspace, backslash, Spacebar, and F1 though 12, and a 7-button mouse. Yeah, I'm a little keybind-crazy, and have never liked using modifier keys. Has served me well for years, across multiple game titles.

My keybind's are fairly weird according to some but here goes.

Q- Icy touch/Chains of ice
    W- Plague Strike
    E- Festering strike
    D- Death coil
    S- Scourge strike
    A- Pest
    Shift-A Outbreak
    Shift-D Death Grip (Alt focus modifier I also hate that bind lol)
    Shift-Q Pet Stun
    X- AMS
    B- IBF
    Z- DND
    C- Mind freeze ( Alt focus modifier)
    V- horn of winter
    G- blood tap
    `- ERW
    Cpslock-Garg
    T- Dark Sim
    Y- Strangulate ( with shift focus modifyer)
    Alt-E Gloves sparker
    Alt S- Necrotic Strike
    Alt D- Death Strike
    Shift-W Death Pact
    1- Trinket
    2- Blood Boil
    3- Summon Ghoul
    4- Free bind ( usually bound to chains of ice or icy touch depending on what is in the "Q" bind)

Deleted
    Where did you get this UI from? I love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Code for making your action bars "less" full:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] SPELLNAME; [mod:ctrl] SPELLNAME; [no mod] SPELLNAME
    This will make the spell show the no modified version at all time, unless you press Control or Shift.
    Example:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] Outbreak; [mod:ctrl] Army of the Dead; [no mod] Empowered Rune Weapon
    Now, this will show the Empowered Rune Weapon at all times, unless you press Shift/Ctrl. If you press Ctrl, Army shows up at the place instead of the Rune Weapon. Same thing with Outbreak.
    (You can add ALT as well, you just need to modify the code a bit)

You could even do:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift] Strangulate; [mod:ctrl] Dancing Rune Weapon; [no mod] Mind Freeze
    You can remove the Dancing Rune Weapon with something else for non tanks. Perfect for interrupting (I'm using it by the way).
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2011-03-21 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added the last code.

Deleted
    Well, I use razer Naga, so some of my keybinds are on the side mouse buttons, but not that many.... I bind same type spells to same type keys on diferent chars, For example Mind freeze is 4, so in my shaman Wind shear is 4 and my mages's counterspell also...

1 - Frost Strike
    2 - Blood Strike
    3 - Blood Boill
    4 - Mind Freeze
    E - Howling Blast
    Shift+E - Obliterate
    Q - Plague Strike
    Shift+Q - Blood Tap
    Shift+3 - Death Grip
    Shift+2 - Hungering Cold
    Shift+4 - Pestilence
    Ctrl+E - Icy Touch
    Ctrl+Q - Horn of Winter
    Shift+5 - Outbreak
    Ctrl+4 - Strangulate
    Ctrl+R - Chains of Ice

Now my Naga has 7 keybinds, 3 of wich important

4 - AMS
    11- DnD
    9 - Pillar of Frost Macro

The others are ICB, ERW, Death Coil, and Dark Simulacrum

For the previous 3 before I bought the naga I had Alt+E; Ctrl+Z; Shift+Z; and also had Alt+Q

Here's mine on my DK:

F: Icy Touch
    D: Plague Strike
    C: Dark Transformation
    S: Scourge Strike
    R: Festering Strike
    T: Death Coil
    G: Mind Freeze
    V: Icebound Fort
    Shift+F: Outbreak
    Shift+D: Pestilence
    Shift+C: Blood Boil
    Shift+R: Horn of Winter
    shift+g strangulate

1 Death Grip
    2 Chains of ice
    3 Death Ans Decay
    4 Gargoyle + Frenzy macro
    5 Anti Magic Shell
    6 forget the name; one that restores all runes and gives you some RP
    = Blood Tap

1-6 and a mouse with thirteen buttons, plus f1-f4 for horn, ghoul,bone shield etcc. Use mouse for rotation etc, an 1-6 for cd modes like empower rune wep, that's 23 buttons right there. also if you can't, fit the stuff in still use alt/ctrl moves for silences, or say for death coils on a ranged that is tuning away and your frost with full rp.alot of these posts s above are well done and I think if your a player of any caliber you read them.
    Last edited by lifteez; 2011-03-21 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Bad english I'm sory if grammar is off-par
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more