Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Weird PC problem need help

Hello and thx in advance for help

I bought this rig built by myself on 2009. I had previous experience building towers and im sure i made it without mistakes. The specs:

-Intel i7 920 with Noctua heatsink http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...s_id=31&lng=en
    -MoBo Asus P6T deluxe 2 http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID...aZx&templete=2
    -OCZ ram http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr...e-channel.html
    -Corsair PSU http://www.corsair.com/power-supplie...-1/hx750w.html
    -ATI Radeon HD 5870 http://www.amd.com/uk/products/deskt...-overview.aspx
    -Antec 2000 http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTUxOA==
    -wdc wd5001aals-00l3b2 hard drive
    -W7 Ultimate 64 genuine (not a basterd OEM)
    -All drivers are up to date
    -All on stock speeds, im not the guy who milks tech for a barely noticeable extra performance. CPU highest load temp is 54 degrees celsius, system temp 43 degrees

The Baby worked rock solid for a good 6 months until random resets began to occur. I did no changes to the hardware nor software, it simply happened all of a sudden. After a month or so suffering this and trying to fix it for myself i brought it to the tech store.

They told me that after 1 day online it worked ok with no resets as i described... but back at home after 1 hour on, resetfeast again. After a week with this problem, getting about 6-8 resets daily, the resets faded away and the PC ran ok for nearly a year

Resets begun yesterday again :S. Here´s what i tried first time:

-Unplugged unnecessary stuff: DVD, extra USB. No results
    -Switch RAM slots, also tried to work with 1 of them at a time. Resets happened with all of them
    -Applied new thermal compound. Nothing
    -Reinstalled W7 from scratch. Nothing

Resets are random. They happen while im browsing the web, playing a game, or doing nothing. Resets also happen even at Bios screen, or when Windows is loading. Windows says its a Kernel power error, but that might be result of the reset itself
    I know its hardware problem, but would like to know what part of my hardware is messed up before spending a couple hundred on new gear.

How's the power around where you live? Lights flickering or electric clocks losing time?

If it's a power problem having UPS would fix it. Or maybe the PSU is just faulty, it can happen for Corsair too. Sadly this kind of problem is nearly impossible to pin on any one component without lot of time, patience and money.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-03-19 at 09:32 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Have you checked the temperatures? It could be an overheating problem, although the tech store should have picked up on that. Is it particularly hot where you play? Is your PC next to a radiator or something (Ill admit it - Ive done that).

You could, next, try to unplug the hard drive, then leave it on in the BIOS and see if that does anything. Start periodically unplugging stuff and just try to see if you can get to the root of the problem.

As is said, it could be a power issue.
    Last edited by Darkdruidelf; 2011-03-19 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not temperature. I thought also on a faulty power line... but i dont know why its SO random. Maybe i should buy an UPS as you say

check for error description and number in event viewer (Control Panel>System and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer>System)
    look for time when reset happend and see if you have any strange errors
    if not it may be PSU problem (if you can borrow PSU and check if it still resets)
    Last edited by Finear; 2011-03-19 at 09:51 AM.

Try investing in a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) they are pretty much a surge protector with a battery backup, and will help you in the case of unstable power lines.

Having a year between the problems would suggest the problem is in power lines, and something happens this time of the year that causes more instability and power surges where you live. Dunno what kind of weather you're having, but if it's snow like here, people using space heaters can easily cause instability on power lines that reboot your computer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I had exact same problem. I literally changed everything in my computer. I bought new power supply, new cords, new power sockets, new hard drive (it always made strange sounds before power off anyways) even UPS and nothing helped. After i changed mainboard resets stopped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zothen View Post
    I had exact same problem. I literally changed everything in my computer. I bought new power supply, new cords, new power sockets, new hard drive (it always made strange sounds before power off anyways) even UPS and nothing helped. After i changed mainboard resets stopped.
    What model you had before and wich one you have now?

---------- Post added 2011-03-19 at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Dunno what kind of weather you're having
    Its sunny today

While trying to type this reply, i gone through 15 resets in a row before Windows could even load. Im seriously fed up with this, im ordering a new MoBo and an UPS next monday

Considering my specs, i would be grateful on MoBo suggestions excluding ASUS

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    Its not temperature. I thought also on a faulty power line... but i dont know why its SO random. Maybe i should buy an UPS as you say
    Randomness is actually a really good indication that power could be an issue. Faulty power lines or power supplies are well known for causing random resets. It may not be the issue, but if it works fine in one location, but not in another, that's likely a culprit.

While trying to type this reply, i gone through 15 resets in a row before Windows could even load. Im seriously fed up with this, im ordering a new MoBo and an UPS next monday
    dont waste money
    check errors in event viewer and post screenshot if you find any close to reset time
    http://img35.imageshack.us/i/eventhm.png/
    also you should borrow PSU and see if pc is stable before buying new one
    well if you care about money ofc^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Id error is 41, kernel power, but i searched info about it and they say its Windows problem, while that couldnt be possible when it happens on bios postscreen

More details about error 41 here -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Still looks like the computer just loses power and most likely issues would be either PSU failing or the power lines in your building/area too flaky.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just borrowed ( ok ok i stealed it, kay?) my uncle´s 600W NOX PSU and still no resets. Ill run some intensive system tests to see how it goes (max fan speeds, multiple programs running etc)

Yeah dude def your power coming to that outlet have you tried a different plugin? the battery supplies are really nice. Also invest in a surge protector i know some people that have low power at their homes and the surges have killed like their AC amongst other things.

10+ Year Old Account
    After 3 stable hours playing around ive gone into another reset feast. Ordering an UPS tomorrow... maybe 600w PSU is too much for my power lines

One step at a time

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    After 3 stable hours playing around ive gone into another reset feast. Ordering an UPS tomorrow... maybe 600w PSU is too much for my power lines

One step at a time
    It really does sound like an issue with your outlet. I hope the UPS solves the issue. I can't imagine that's good for your PSU either.

Another possibility is motherboard broken, but having an UPS is never a bad thing so it's not completely wasted purchase in any case.
    Trolling should be.

Check out a voltage regulator/surge suppressor. Little cheaper than a UPS, and probably does the job you're looking for. UPS units will keep you running for a little while the power goes out, but if you always have supply, it could be an overvoltage resetting you.

I have one and it's worth it's weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    UPS on the way! anyways i noticed less resets with the 600w PSU. Maybe 750w was too demanding for my power lines