Poll: Can you play WoW and have a social life + fulfilling life?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yes it is completely possible, as long as you are not hardcore (4-5 days a week, 4-5 hours a day JUST raiding) raiding. I have been through all aspects of this game. When i was hardcore raiding i found myself actually dissing friends just to make raid. I finally realized this and quit for the summer, never went back. Its an amazing thing if you can balance WoW with your actual life. I still smoke with my friends every day, hang out for hours, then come home at night and have my WoW time. It could also be the fact that i do smoke a lot of bud and have taken immense doses of LSD in the past, so my social relationship is a little bit above par from most. I find it easy to keep lots of buddies outside of WoW, while also keeping everything in tact in WoW. As long as your not hardcore raiding and putting your entire life towards the game, its incredibly easy. Also have incredible job in which all customers/employees are amazed at how outgoing I am. Its all on how you make your list out. WoW needs to be a filler. Unless of course you are in high school.. in which case play all the WoW you want.
    Last edited by meanbuds420; 2011-03-20 at 05:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    i go to school and work 20hours a week.
    i can easily fit 12-16 hours of raiding into a week + go out on the weekends + go to the gym 3-4 times a week.
    most guild dont even raid on the weekends from my experience.
    hell we decided to not even raid over spring break.

i think it's really up to you if wanna be social and play WoW, or just play WoW.
    Then how come the majority of WoW players you meet in real life are not as socially adjusted as non-wow players. Have you ever really met a wow player and said that guy is really buff and must be the life of the party? rofl

What is this "social life" you're talking about? It is used many times here it makes my brain hurt. Uh, whatever it is I should be raiding now.

well my friend raids in a hardcore raiding guild(16 hours a week) and he still goes out every friday and saturday and hangs out during the day on other days, he raids like 11pm-3am(his job doesn't start till 11am and goes to 5pm nearly everyday)

i raid 3 days a week 3 hours and im a student and still have a good social circle

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is a >MMO< Aka has ALOT of people in it, which you socialize with all the time, so you all this talk about wow players not being able to have a social life is stupid in my book

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...c%C3%A9/simple
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Silence/simple
    Sergeant of the Master Sergeants, Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants, To The MAX!

Well, I got my now fiancee into WoW, and she raids with me so it's not like I'm missing out on time spent with her. We're in a casual raiding guild, doing 3 hours a night on Tues-Thursday. (11/12 too, given some of the set backs we've had)

As for our social lives though, we don't really miss out on too much given the amount of time we have free for social occasions. Also, not all time spent on WoW is social time. My friends often don't want to hang out late on a work or school night, much less get up early. Playing WoW during these periods really has no effect on our social lives. Our raid times are optimal, seeing that it's not too often I get a call to do something during our scheduled raids. We do hit the gym after the raids though with a friend (also guildy) of ours, and others.

Life is there if you're willing to grab it. I've personally made it a goal to say "Yes" to whatever comes up in my off time, to ensure I don't weasel my way out by being lazy, anti-social, or whatever.

As of this weekend, I've gone out to dinner, went to a UFC fight night get together / party, boating, and here in a couple hours, the movies.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Play Wow moderately...

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Then how come the majority of WoW players you meet in real life are not as socially adjusted as non-wow players. Have you ever really met a wow player and said that guy is really buff and must be the life of the party? rofl
    not trying to be cocky, but i have no problem fitting in with other people in my age group in really any social situation.
    social retardation has other underlying causes such as lack of confidence or physical appearance, being bullied in highschool, etc.
    unfortunately fear of social situation is the common reason most people resort to playing WoW fulltime and not deal with the anxiety they experience when they socially interact in reality.

the question was "is it possible to play wow and have a good social life". and i know many examples that make this a resounding yes.
    it's just up to that person on where they want to commit their leisure time. and how much they want to try and brave their social anxiety and awkwardness.
    Last edited by Brandoh; 2011-03-20 at 05:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most "hardcore" raiders only actually raid two or three times a week, generally on weekdays when going out is less likely so yes, it is very much possible to have a social life. Paragon, aside from their push for World Firsts, only raids once a week.

The trick is to get a guild that has a raiding schedule you can work around. If you want to go out with friends on the weekend get a guild that raids Monday and Wednesday. If you want to go out during the week, get a weekend guild. There is an option for just about anyone, it just may be difficult to find.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have cut down on my playing to about 1 day a week, but even at my maximum. I still maintain my love interest, I work and still go to college. Self-control is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by mahpewpew View Post
    I refuse to give away my freedoms to be safe from decisions I make that affect myself.
    Good communities sometimes trump questionable staff.

I am aware sometimes I dont include apostrophes. My work keyboard is missing the button. Let it go.

Deleted
    Well this is actually quite funny thing.. i played wow for few years and like one week after i quit wow, i met this sweet girl who is now my gf.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoh View Post
    not trying to be cocky, but i have no problem fitting in with other people in my age group in really any social situation.
    social retardation has other underlying causes such as lack of confidence or physical appearance, being bullied in highschool, etc.
    unfortunately fear of social situation is the common reason most people resort to playing WoW fulltime and not deal with the anxiety they experience when they socially interact in reality.

the question was "is it possible to play wow and have a good social life". and i know many examples that make this a resounding yes.
    it's just up to that person on where they want to commit their leisure time. and how much they want to try and brave their social anxiety and awkwardness.
    Ok yes I do agree with you it definitely is possible but I think you are in the minority. The larger majority of wow players are "socially retarded" so to speak. Maybe they were also that way before wow but i dont think the game makes it any better o.O

Deleted
    In this thread, everyone is going to have a perfect social life.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Ok yes I do agree with you it definitely is possible but I think you are in the minority. The larger majority of wow players are "socially retarded" so to speak. Maybe they were also that way before wow but i dont think the game makes it any better o.O
    actually wow help me open up to ppl i used quite shy before playing wow XD

it has alot to do with the way you were before playing...if you used to avoid social contact outside, if you used to be shy around other people, then it's going to get worse after u start playing...i knew a guy who was a hardcore raider and in RL he was a b-boy, model, beer pong master, party freak, ladiesman etc..it worked for a while until he decided to go for the big RL. I have been playing for like 4 years on and off, and i have NEVER said no to a social event because of wow, i have even left arena games to go do shit if i was in a hurry...People just need to understand that you can do it but you need a strong will
    Ingame Popularity Yo!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have friends that have girlfriends, play sports, and WoW.

You can have a social life and play WoW.
    "No we. No one tells me what to do. I've got everything I need from you -- now the power is mine and mine alone. Now there is only I. I am the Lich King. And I am ready."

Its not a matter of WoW forcing you into not having a social life.

Clearly if you devote excessive amounts of your time to WoW instead of socializing then your so-called social life wasn't that great to begin with... which is likely why you started to play WoW to begin with.

Deleted
    I would've taken the time to post a real in-depth explanation of how you can play WoW etc and have a social life but erm I've gotta go meet my mates at the pub for some drinks, laters!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, easily done! I raid on a regular basis and I still have a social life. My social life consists of, down the pub(quite alot), working on the cars and also working and racing my kart and then just chilling out with my mates. It's easily done in my opinion!!