Dragon age 2: Tanking

So, i've never tanked in dragon age 2 before, thought it would be a nice twist to the gameplay, and need some tips and what build i should pick first

Dragon age 2 is not about builds its about having fun

protip choose a mage /warrior hybrid

they rule and thats how the main char should be played

You can't make a 'hybrid' character, I have no idea what Maximen is talking about. But for a tank (which DOES exist for the game, and I'd be amazed if you could kill say, the High Dragon on a high difficulty without a tank), you'll obviously be going with a shield and weapon. Thankfully, Avalene makes a splendid tank. Give her just enough strength (around 30) to use the stronger weapons, and dump everything else into stamina. There's some good damage redirection skills in the guardian skillset, and you'll obviously want plenty in the sword and shield skillset. Careful if you use Isabella in your party, when she's totally tricked out, she rips threat with amazing ease.

Aveline built correctly doesn't seem to take damage from anything, it's crazy.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximen View Post
    Dragon age 2 is not about builds its about having fun
    The same way that talents in WoW aren't about being effective, they're about making you feel fun, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

Depends on the party you plan on using.. If you plan on using a mostly melee centric party, I definitely recommend getting the Threat transfer ability in the Battlemaster tree ASAP.
    If its more of a Ranged party i'd go with improved Bravery instead. (This is what I personally went with as I was using Anders, Merril and Varric.. All Ranged.)
    The Reaver specialization has some nice abilities for a DPS-Tank aswell.. Since I take it you plan on making Hawke the Tank instead of using Aveline.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

I'm also wondering, why i havent met Isabela yet.. played the game twice, i know shes at the hanged man, but i can't seem to find her.

---------- Post added 2011-03-21 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Depends on the party you plan on using.. If you plan on using a mostly melee centric party, I definitely recommend getting the Threat transfer ability in the Battlemaster tree ASAP.
    If its more of a Ranged party i'd go with improved Bravery instead. (This is what I personally went with as I was using Anders, Merril and Varric.. All Ranged.)
    The Reaver specialization has some nice abilities for a DPS-Tank aswell.. Since I take it you plan on making Hawke the Tank instead of using Aveline.
    Mostly ranged with 1 rogue to open chests.

Quote Originally Posted by imtehrogue View Post
    I'm also wondering, why i havent met Isabela yet.. played the game twice, i know shes at the hanged man, but i can't seem to find her.

---------- Post added 2011-03-21 at 06:45 PM ----------

Mostly ranged with 1 rogue to open chests.
    Varric can do that then.. I'd actually argue he is the best option for safe lockpicking as his weapon doesnt require Agi, so you can safely dump stats into Cunning first without having to worry about gimping his dmg like you would with Isabela.

Edit: Also, Isabela spawns in the Hanged Man after you aquire Anders. You must get her before act2 or she will disappear.
    Last edited by Ershiin; 2011-03-21 at 05:59 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

15+ Year Old Account