Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Ignite munching solution

Ignite munching has been a problem for a while now. I have been thinking of how to resolve the issue behind ignite munching. This is what I came up with:

New dots shouldn't replace old dots. New dots should merge with old dots to combine a new more powerful dot. Here is an example:

Fireball crits for 20k. 40% of 20k = 8k over 4 seconds, which means 2k per second.

2seconds later you crit with fireball again for 20k and shoot a pyroblast right behind it, the pyroblast also crits.

This means 8k over 4seconds - 2seconds(4k) = 4k over 2 more seconds, which is refreshed (not replaced) by a 20k fireball, which means another 8k to the 4k = 12k dot over 4 seconds (3k/second). Now the pyroblast crits for 30k, before the ignite has a chance to tick, which will add another 12k dot to the existing 12k dot to make a 24k dot (6k/second). Living bomb crits for 6k one second after the ignite was refreshed by the pyroblast (24k - 6k = 18k left), 40% of 6k = 2400 added to the 18k ignite = 20,400(over 4 seconds).

The above numbers are just sample numbers.

I think this is better than removing the possibility of dots critting.

How do you like this idea?
    ur just mad, cuz ur bad
    Know what you are doing beforehand, and don't be sorry afterward. - Wagner.
    if you would like to talk about any topics that I started, please visit my blog @ http://wowbloggz.blogspot.com/

That's basically what they would like to happen, but it doesn't work out that way in the coding. They dont WANT ignite munching, they simply can't fix it without overhauling the entire dot system. I imagine that is not something that they find worth the time investment to fix when they can just do something more simple until a better fix arises.

I don't mind removing ignites from our dots, but I also thing they should make our dots crit for 280% damage to compensate the loss. Flame orb included.

already a few threads on this, its being fixed and this has been said already, just breeze around some on the forums...

What you described is exactly how ignite should work, except it ticks every 2 seconds and not every 1 second as you described. The problem is not with the concept, but with the implementation. As Skarrd said, the implementation is not feasible, so alternate methods are being pursued to at least minimize the effect of ignite munching.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    What you described is exactly how ignite should work, except it ticks every 2 seconds and not every 1 second as you described. The problem is not with the concept, but with the implementation. As Skarrd said, the implementation is not feasible, so alternate methods are being pursued to at least minimize the effect of ignite munching.
    My mistake, I thought it ticks every second.

What if the crits from dots would trigger an ignite that is considered a different spell than the ignites from normal crits (maybe even a different name)? Wouldn't that work?
    ur just mad, cuz ur bad
    if you would like to talk about any topics that I started, please visit my blog @ http://wowbloggz.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mapal View Post
    My mistake, I thought it ticks every second.

What if the crits from dots would trigger an ignite that is considered a different spell than the ignites from normal crits (maybe even a different name)? Wouldn't that work?
    That has been suggested many times, though the best effect would come from having every single crit form a new ignite since dot crits aren't the only source of ignite munching. I don't know if there is some technical reason why Blizzard doesn't do this, but it would definitely clutter up the debuffs on a mob, especially with 2+ fire mages, which they may not want.

it woked like that with deepwounds when i had it in wrath(same exact concept but warrior version)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    There must be a better way to improve this issue, I don't understand why this would be such a big undertaking or impossible to do. If anyone can clarify, please do.
    ur just mad, cuz ur bad

Just have ignite also increase the critical strike damage of damage over time effects by 40%. Oh, look, ignite's fixed with regards to dots.

Deleted
    Can we please let these threads die. We all no that this is going to be fixed in 4.1. Deal with it for s few more weeks or play arcane til the fix. Let. It. Rest.

I don't see why they don't just make them stack(rolling?) tbh.. if need be they could nerf it slightly to make up for the DPS increase, and make Combustion only take say, the 3 biggest Ignites.

Quote Originally Posted by Harjkun View Post
    Can we please let these threads die. We all no that this is going to be fixed in 4.1. Deal with it for s few more weeks or play arcane til the fix. Let. It. Rest.
    It's not getting fixed. Munching will occur less frequently, but it is not gone.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    I don't see why they don't just make them stack(rolling?) tbh.. if need be they could nerf it slightly to make up for the DPS increase, and make Combustion only take say, the 3 biggest Ignites.
    This sounds like a solution (or looks like one).

What's with everyone and the "doom and gloom" type of mentality? D: "it's never getting fixed >: (" doesn't sound fair...
    ur just mad, cuz ur bad

Quote Originally Posted by Harjkun View Post
    Doesn't hurt to let people know. I suppose I should've just directed the OP to an older version of this thread, though.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well...we all know, moar dots don't hurt anyone.
    ur just mad, cuz ur bad