Thread: OS for gamers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    How many miles do you bike a week? :O

There's no public transit where I live, cars are mandatory.
    Unfortunate.

I bike about 18km every day when it warms up (back and forth to work). 30minutes each way.

Otherwise I'm on the bus back and forth to work, which takes about 45 minutes each way.

I would LIKE a car for the winter, but I don't see it as absolutely mandatory considering all the bus passes I buy, I can get tax credit for every year, unlike gas.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon4275 View Post
    I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. It works good for me.
    I also have windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Works great Windows 7 is by far better on your system then any other.
    Windows 7 can handle the load of the most modern hardware, the os runs smooth in the background not interfering with your gaming
    Or running stupid programs when your in a raid.

Most window's updates don't even need a restart so you wont have to drop mid boss to relog.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Unfortunate.

I bike about 18km every day when it warms up (back and forth to work). 30minutes each way.

Otherwise I'm on the bus back and forth to work, which takes about 45 minutes each way.

I would LIKE a car for the winter, but I don't see it as absolutely mandatory considering all the bus passes I buy, I can get tax credit for every year, unlike gas.
    Biking is quicker than bus?

Guessing a lot of stops + short distances on bus

15+ Year Old Account
    Biking is quicker than bus?

Guessing a lot of stops + short distances on bus
    The bus can't take a shortcut through a city park.

The bus can't take a shortcut through a city park.

Well... it COULD just shouldn't.

Well... it COULD just shouldn't.

You sure it's faster?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyOwvEKms8

P.S. 990x?? I'm jelly... I'm real jelly :[
    New and shiny compppppp!

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Microsoft does not claim to support every single piece of hardware, and neither does Linux, but there's fundamental difference in the manufacturer support. You can download drivers for almost everything from the OEMs website, but not for linux except in special cases. This is a manufacturer problem still, not an OS problem.

And yes, I do call people nuts who write drivers for hardware after those have have been officially discontinued and are no longer available for sale. The odds at anybody else using the drivers are pretty damn slim at that point, don't you agree? I would understand it for a product you actually can buy.
    What you have to understand is that these people do not do such things because they dedicate their entire lives to the furthering of Linux. Rather, they have a piece of unsupported hardware lying about, and have some fun making it work. They're not crazy, they merely have a hobby that benefits others..

Big problem with linux hardware support is that it focuses too much on weird obsolete shit like discontinued peripherals and making everything opensource by force, when there's major lack of support for fixing the real problems. Not having a 8 year old webcam working is minor inconvenience, but x-server failing to start on boot without proprietary drivers is a major showstopper bug. I did get my laptop work eventually, but it would've been impossible without second computer on the side where I could google for shit.
    I would indeed call that a showstopper bug, but again, for the most part people work on Linux for fun. I'm not going to go up to people who donate their time freely and shake my finger at them, "You're working on weird obsolete shit (aka stuff I don't care about), work on important stuff (aka stuff I personally care about)!". No. And if that means Linux is behind for a long time, that's how it will have to be. Multiple companies contribute heavily to enterprise/server Linux work (Red Hat, Novell, Intel, Google, Oracle, IBM, etc.) -- we just need more like Canonical, which pay for people to develop personal use features/drivers.

The attitudes of open source community on how to obtain the mandatory proprietary drivers even for mainstream distros is simply asinine when they make it as hard as possible (like not including the package repositories of these must-have proprietary drivers in the allowed download list by default). This was on Ubuntu somewhere around 2007 btw, and still 3 major releases and over year later same issue.
    You are completely misunderstanding the goal of Ubuntu. Ubuntu wasn't formed with the goal being "TAKE OVER THE WORLD!", or "KILL WINDOWS!". Its founders set the goal as making an operating system composed entirely of Free Software usable by every-day humans. Obviously, including non-free software by default does not contribute to this goal! If your views do not line up with Ubuntu's, by all means, use a distro that has no qualms about non-free software (Mint, which is an Ubuntu clone that includes such things by default). But you can't expect a massive project to cater to your interests above those that started the project in the first place.

"hard as possible" is a gross exaggeration. In fact, there is a GUI installer called Envy which makes it as simple as clicking a button.

linux is not going to be mainstream gaming OS and is never going to be supported by major game studios.
    They said that Linux would never obtain any sort of professional respect or market share. They said it would never have any major program support (Firefox? Skype? UT2K4? Steam (on the way)?). They said modern 3D would never be playable with Linux drivers. They said lots of stuff, but I think the Linux community's optimism and crowd-sourcing potential is stronger than your "will never happen" pessimism

15+ Year Old Account
    They said that Linux would never obtain any sort of professional respect or market share. They said it would never have any major program support (Firefox? Skype? UT2K4? Steam (on the way)?). They said modern 3D would never be playable with Linux drivers. They said lots of stuff, but I think the Linux community's optimism and crowd-sourcing potential is stronger than your "will never happen" pessimism
    There's a bit of a difference between support for a web browser and a game utilizing 3d apis and direct control drivers. Major game studios will never support Linux BECAUSE it is open source. And if they do, it would be extremely limited support. The vast differences between one linux distro to the next would result in far to much money dumped into R&D and support for such a ridiculously small share of the desktop market.

There's a bit of a difference between support for a web browser and a game utilizing 3d apis and direct control drivers.
    You ignored UT2K4, I see And for an OS created by hobbyists 15 years ago, such application attention is quite astounding, really.

Major game studios will never support Linux BECAUSE it is open source.
    Wha? No, they're too practical for that. It's all about market share.

And if they do, it would be extremely limited support. The vast differences between one linux distro to the next would result in far to much money dumped into R&D and support for such a ridiculously small share of the desktop market.
    Or they could just ship the game as simple binaries and give details online for distros, so the distros can make a "worldofwarcraft" package or such that merely installs all dependencies and then the game itself from the given location.
    Nevertheless, GNU/Linux will need to rise beyond 1% market share for more mainstream game attention, yes. But considering how far we've gotten already (Did you know WoW's Warden checks to see if it's being run on Wine and alters its methods then?), I think the future is very bright indeed. Perhaps we'll also get some love indirectly via Android

Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    You sure it's faster?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyOwvEKms8

P.S. 990x?? I'm jelly... I'm real jelly :[
    Yeah, i've got more overall raw horsepower in my system, and even i'm a little jealous of that 5.21Ghz.
    My system does what I built it for though, would have been nice to get a better batch on the Xeons though.
    And the 5970s for that matter, since one of them is a shit OCer and holds the whole thing back :/
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Yeah, i've got more overall raw horsepower in my system, and even i'm a little jealous of that 5.21Ghz.
    My system does what I built it for though, would have been nice to get a better batch on the Xeons though.
    And the 5970s for that matter, since one of them is a shit OCer and holds the whole thing back :/
    I don't need all of that horsepower in a system so I just bought two systems. I don't NEED the work and render on the same system.

Oh I know, wasn't trying to mock or anything
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viros View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic about the Mac thing. Most games don't even play on Mac.
    Supermarkt Mania is awesome.

As for Gaming, I don't know I like XP actually... but Win 7 Premium seems good too.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Most likely pirated.

Unless you're using the built-in disk imaging, there's no reason to get anything above home premium for a gamer.

---------- Post added 2011-03-21 at 11:58 PM ----------

No real reason to go 64-bit unless you need the ram. It can actually cause some games to run worse than in 32.
    If you are a gamer, 64 bit OS and 8GB+ Ram is the norm and highly recommended (2x 4GB DDR3 G-skill Ripjaws pack is dirt cheap).

Also Ultimate is only $200 for OEM and easy to get online if you order a HDD with it. Both Pro and Ultimate are well worth it if you are willing to spend an extra 50 or 100 dollars.

Avoid Mac's like the plague for gaming, terrible over-priced machines.

Since XP only goes for direcx 9 and Vista is the worse Microsoft did since Millenium, you have Windows 7 for DX10 and 11, Pro version 64bit is sufice at this point and straight out of the box.
    Professional version has RAID1/5 in software which are more interesting features than VHD for gamers.
    Pro for this reason.

Heres a simple comparing charter:
    http://www.goospoos.com/wp-content/u...hart-final.jpg
    Last edited by konishiwa; 2011-03-29 at 01:16 PM.