Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lukz View Post
    OK, I'd hope to meet up with you out there since between our stuff we are covered (I forget the iodine, flashlight, rope and extra pair of socks!).
    Edit: I'll bring a pen for the journal.
    You got fancy with the tent and sleeping bag.

I thought one of the rules was you had to carry it all in, so I was trying to whittle my list down to save on weight. You'd be far more comfortable than me. I was going to build my own shelter (and we know how comfy those are... not).

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    You got fancy with the tent and sleeping bag.

I thought one of the rules was you had to carry it all in, so I was trying to whittle my list down to save on weight. You'd be far more comfortable than me. I was going to build my own shelter (and we know how comfy those are... not).
    Decent pack can hold upwards of 75 pounds, I'd also plan a trip to REI before taking the 100 mile trip into wilderness.

Knife.
    10 years worth of weed (and seeds to grow more)
    gun (shotgun)
    axe.
    Bow with arrows.
    Boots.
    Sleeping bag.
    Warm Clothes.
    Fishing Line.
    a good lighter
    10 years worth of lighter fluid
    matches.
    wind up torch
    Pillow.
    Bong.
    Socks
    first aid kit and basic medicnes.
    Lots of empty books. (and a few full ones)
    pens/pencils.
    and loads more that i could fill a short novel with
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

10+ Year Old Account
    Decent pack can hold upwards of 75 pounds, I'd also plan a trip to REI before taking the 100 mile trip into wilderness.
    You're in better shape than I am and no doubt younger. My days of humping a trail with 75 pounds on my back are long gone.

But it does make things interesting. I've found I don't need nearly the gear I used to think I did when going into the woods camping / hunting.

Side note, not to derail this, but seems to follow the rules...

In addition to my first page list: Since they walk on their own, I will also bring a breeding pair German Shepherd's for companionship and protection (ten years would be one decent pack). I will also take along a mating pair of cow's for milk, and their offspring for meat, as well as one rooster and several Hens for eggs and meat. The Dogs will be smart enough to protect the chickens and cows from predators by the time my gun runs out of bullets, and with the basic tools, fences will soon be built to protect the farm.

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 04:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post
    You're in better shape than I am and no doubt younger. My days of humping a trail with 75 pounds on my back are long gone.

But it does make things interesting. I've found I don't need nearly the gear I used to think I did when going into the woods camping / hunting.
    True. A water filter, iodine, fishing line, knife, blanket, extra socks can be enough for a while, but this is 10 years!

edit: damnit, I forgot to bring my guitar!
    Last edited by lukz; 2011-03-22 at 05:06 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would bring my fist. I would then proceed to punch down a tree, make a crafting table, some sticks, then a pick. So on and so forth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this, I would also hit up a Cabelas for everything else that was on my list, and that I neglected to remember. One thing that I would want the shovel for is to make a nice little trench at the entryway to my cave to prevent unwanted animals out.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    as much survivalist gear as I could plan (tent, backpack, flashlight, canteen, filters, rations, sleeping bag, umbrella, etc)
    my Kindle
    a PSP and/or a 3DS (with a handful of games, natch)
    a pillow (just in case that's not implied in my first line; and I do like to lie back and just enjoy a good nature view, like a sunset)
    cell phone if I must try to keep in touch with civilization, if it's an option to embrace hermitism I'd just leave that behind
    can't really think of much else... wouldn't use the few things I've listed so much that I couldn't be without them, just there for intermittent cravings
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Backpack full of MREs
    Many lighters
    Flint for back up
    A durable pot
    Will to live
    Last edited by Dald; 2011-03-22 at 05:39 AM.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Pretty much this, I would also hit up a Cabelas for everything else that was on my list, and that I neglected to remember. One thing that I would want the shovel for is to make a nice little trench at the entryway to my cave to prevent unwanted animals out.
    Arggh, yes a shovel. One for defense, two, to well, make a pooper for #2!

Edit: anyone who has done somewhat long term camping in the same area will agree. Just look at the work the Romans put into it!

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 05:41 AM ----------

Side note again:

10 years.

In ten years you could have hundreds of sheep, cows, chickens, and dogs to protect them.

Farm size could be expanded to multiple acres.

I did forget one thing in all of my posts..... a wife. Do I win the thread with that one?

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 05:43 AM ----------

One of the most important things to me would also to enjoy it

Life. Yes.

-1. a military hiking bag http://www.abetterwaytobuy.net/p-235...kpack-new.aspx to carry my stuff in.
    -2. a Composite Re-curve Bow http://www.bytheswordinc.com/showpro...e-bow-sg-01005 and a quiver of 24 arrows with very brightly colored fliers
    -3. Flint and tinder, and 2 http://www.ifirstaidkits.com/product...ce-p54176.html
    -4. several compact mirrors and a few magnifying glasses, 2 compasses, a trenching shovel, a Multi-tool, a box set of 30 lighters and limit my self to the use of 3 lighters per year, a flare gun with 12 extra flares. not to signal anyone for help, but for the use of scaring off dangerous wildlife. 3, 30 by 30 green tarps.
    -5. hacksaw http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6346 with 20 extra blades. for chopping down any lumber i might need to use to build things, and this "" to help with the building : http://www.ehow.com/list_6688947_jun...ter-tools.html
    -6. several pots and pans for cooking with
    -7. Water filter with a few extra filters
    -8. seeds to grow my own farm at some point, after i have set up a solid, stable, decent living situation.

Basically i would want to be in a rain-forest, with lots of lumber available, lots of wildlife to hunt, unlimited water supply, and i would basically go Swiss family Robinson and make a few trees close together a huge friggin tree house, 40-60 feet off the ground out of the understory level and somewhere mid canopy layer, far from the danger of large wild animals and mid range level of the nasty blood sucking insects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arggh, yes a shovel. One for defense, two, to well, make a pooper for #2!

Edit: anyone who has done somewhat long term camping in the same area will agree. Just look at the work the Romans put into it!

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 05:41 AM ----------

Side note again:

10 years.

In ten years you could have hundreds of sheep, cows, chickens, and dogs to protect them.

Farm size could be expanded to multiple acres.

I did forget one thing in all of my posts..... a wife. Do I win the thread with that one?

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 05:43 AM ----------

One of the most important things to me would also to enjoy it

Life. Yes.
    Very true, I never said no to wildlife, one would argue how you would get the wildlife there though since you would have no vehicle. I would have to say is enjoying life and the will to survive is the most important of them all.

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 06:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aoek1 View Post
    Basically i would want to be in a rain-forest, with lots of lumber available, lots of wildlife to hunt, unlimited water supply, and i would basically go Swiss family Robinson and make a few trees close together a huge friggin tree house, 40-60 feet off the ground out of the understory level and somewhere mid canopy layer, far from the danger of large wild animals and mid range level of the nasty blood sucking insects.
    There would still be loads of mosquitos, which would be an annoyance.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moderate North America climate, mountains.

Nothing was said about how FAR we had to carry said items. I am going on the premise of either a drop off or a small hike from the dropoff and I have done 100+ pound pack for a 7 mile hike in (very dry summer on a scout trip as a scoutmaster, so I water-mule'ed 6 gallons to the site in case there was no water there.... was the suck). No comments on weight, it WILL be heavy.

Boot Knife
    additional pocket knives, single blade and multitools
    Hatchet
    TOILET PAPER (not enough for 10 years, but enough to keep my ass nice for a bit. Also makes GREAT tinder)
    Water purifier with additional cartridges.
    backpacking fishing pole, line, hooks
    Clothes, socks, extra par of GOOD boots
    0- sleeping bag
    thermarest and patch kit
    matches and throw away lighters
    army poncho and poncho liner (amazing summer sleeping bag)
    100 mile an hour tape, couple rolls
    Magnesium and flint
    duel fuel stove
    LED flashlights and a decent supply of batteries (not enough for 10 years, but enough that I can work on building shelter and such before I run out)
    Compass and topo maps of the area
    heavy duty black trash bags
    sheet of 3-5 mil plastic
    parachute cord
    Signal flares (Great when you need to start a fire in a wet environment.)
    initial bit of NON canned food... rice dinners and MRE type. A couple cans of food to use the cans.
    ONE decent sized pot with lid. I find full mess kits are a total waste. ONE decent pot and lid is all I need.
    Nalgene bottles.
    My Baretta .40sw with a bit of ammo
    Bow and composite arrows with multiple tips
    My AR-15 with 2 units of ammo
    My .270 Weatherby Magnum with a decent ammo load
    2 empty gas cans
    Camelbak for day excursions
    Bible
    2-3 novels
    deck of cards
    a couple heavy duty thumb saws
    Vitamins
    Antibiotics
    Bars of soap
    Tylenol/Advil/Asprin

And I am sure some other stuff
    "And then, as though awoken from a blind stupor,the people of the internet realised that: no one gives a damn.
    And no damns were given." - Calon, MMO-Champion (source)

There would still be loads of mosquitos, which would be an annoyance.[/QUOTE]

Damn, Ok you win, mosquito net would need to be added for sure if it was an European influenced area.

I feel I still am wining with my defendable vegetable farm, milk cows, chicken coup, dog pack shelter that has taken over 10acres by the first year! BTW make a game of this, it would be fun like a new Simmcity!
    Last edited by lukz; 2011-03-22 at 06:18 AM.

Is it just me or are most of the guys / girls going there naked ? :P

10 years worth of food
    a huge tent
    a personal satellite
    my computer

1- become stranded
    2- set up tent
    3- put food in tent
    4- launch satellite
    5-start 10 years of wow playing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izorish View Post
    10 years worth of food
    a huge tent
    a personal satellite
    my computer

1- become stranded
    2- set up tent
    3- put food in tent
    4- launch satellite
    5-start 10 years of wow playing
    How are you going to power your computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hethor View Post
    I would probably bring Bear Grylls.
    He would prolly just pee on you for the duration of your stay...

and sometimes beat you with a stick and lie you that its for your own good.

Machete
    Bow (I can make my own damned arrows)
    Martial arts books (psh I don't need technology to be a nerd)
    small strainer
    2 pots (food/ boiling water)
    Flint and tinder
    Assortment of knives with different blades for different occasions (making rope, marking tree as a way to keep my bearings)
    Small supply of needles(diff sizes so i can make/repair new clothing or
    Small but sturdy shovel (building sinkholes and traps)
    Hammer
    leather water bottle
    Large tarp
    a 6x6cloth
    two guns (The first a silenced pistol and the other a tranq gun)
    the tranq gun would make taking down larger prey easier or getting away from something that won't go down in one shot.
    That being said i'd have more tranq cartridges than bullets but nothing too far out as i'd still be carrying other things

I'd be wearing thick clothing that's not necessarily heavy(think denim-ish) for durability, protection, and longevity
    This would be relatively easy to pick up everything and go at anytime. I would be making other things as the need or interest presented itself

My climate would preferable warm with mild to harsh winter, somewhat hilly or mountainous, and had a supply or natural rocks and foliage(tools and shelter). From there the wait begins...

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    better drink my own piss
    ShamLcawk(shaman/main)
    ShamLrock(warrior/main)
    ShamLshapes(druid)
    Shampoke(rogue)
    Shamatholic(priest)

15+ Year Old Account
    Flint
    Hatchet
    6" Tactical Knife
    2 Widemouth Nalgene Water Bottles
    Folding E-Tool(Small Folding Shovel)
    12'x12' Waterproof Nylon Tarp
    50' Of 550 Paracord
    Roll of Duct Tape
    1 Change of Clothes
    2 Days of Dried Food
    Fishing Hooks and 125yd 80lb Spiderwire Fishing Line
    Notebook and Pens For Map Drawing and Entertainment
    Deck of Cards

This list is assuming a fairly mild climate, or at least beginning my ten years during the milder months so as to have time to prepare for winter. The two days of food is enough to give me enough time to make shelter and rig live traps with some of the fishing line or catch fish. My list is about as bare minimum as possible with items like duct tape able to perform tasks as a bandage or for tarp/clothing repairs. Honestly I would really enjoy doing something like this. Maybe not for ten years, but a few weeks would be nice, I might do something like this sometime this summer.