Deleted

Quick question! (PvE DpS Top Spec 4.1)

Will frost be the new top dog spec for dps as DK when 4.1 hits live? Just hit 85 with mine and before i throw 30k on 2 x Soul Blades this question is rather important;p Thanks in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think frost will surpass UH, iirc its only getting a slight buff to HB isnt it? Unless my info on 4.1 is outdated since I've been away for a while \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Daerth View Post
    I don't think frost will surpass UH, iirc its only getting a slight buff to HB isnt it? Unless my info on 4.1 is outdated since I've been away for a while \o/
    dont forget about FS buff.

Don't forget about the 2 death runes

So yeah, frost is getting buffed, but you might wait to see if 2H is working better than DW. I'm DW now working on getting a viscious 2H for pvp, and I rather like the more fast paced 2H action with the run speed, just don't have the weapon yet. Plus it will allow me to play with unholy.

Maybe you could hold off on the soul blades and try getting the 2H from Magmaw and once 4.1 drops and some test data comes in maybe buy the soul blades if DW comes out on top for frost. If UH still is on top, you'll have a 2H already. And damn, the one soul blade on my server is listed at around 42k. That's why I only have one still

* Frost Strike now deals 130% weapon damage plus 360, up from 110% weapon damage plus 305.

* Howling Blast now scales from 48% of Attack Power on the primary target, up from 40% of Attack Power. Base damage on additional targets reduced by 17%, from 865 to 721.

* Blood of the North (passive) now permanently converts both Blood Runes into Death Runes. There is no longer any proc interaction with Blood Strike required to activate Death Runes.

These changes will probably make Frost a bit better than Unholy on most fights (even with much movement) imo. If these are a all changes there is remains to be seen.

Deleted
    Hmm i wonder how much UH will be in the lead when 4.1 hits live.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    Will frost be the new top dog spec for dps as DK when 4.1 hits live? Just hit 85 with mine and before i throw 30k on 2 x Soul Blades this question is rather important;p Thanks in advance.
    We'll find out when 4.1 hits

The Frost buffs are very substantial, Death Runes alone drastically clean up it's RNG and potency, it's likely it'll trump Unholy by a bit on both Dual Wield and 2H, even on most movement fights.
    Last edited by Merin; 2011-03-23 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambulanced View Post
    That's simming. It assumes optimal procs, conditions, etc, which will favor proc-based priorities like Frost. People link that (and stateofdps) all the time and get the same responses--sims are an interesting tool but unreliable in the real raid environment. Proof? Look at where Sub rogues are, there. Sub is getting no unique buffs to the spec in 4.1/4.2 (officially confirmed, at any rate), so what could make up for such a substantial leap in dps?
    In a previous post you said Frost had slight dps buff, simcraft shows you that it is not a slight buff but it's a huge one.
    In movement fights frost will still be penalized, but for sure will be the best dps spec when 4.1 will be on.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Current theorycrafting points to Frost still being behind Unholy, but only in perfect conditions. Frost will still lag behind Unholy on movement-heavy fights, but will generate more snap-aoe than Unholy.

So, as I understand it, Frost will pretty much remain the same (slight dps buff) but play much smoother thanks to the removal of blood strikes from the priority.
    At first you say this, Theorycrafting points out XXX.

Then another guy points out top theorycrafting thing there is that you're wrong and you say this:

That's simming. It assumes optimal procs, conditions, etc, which will favor proc-based priorities like Frost. People link that (and stateofdps) all the time and get the same responses--sims are an interesting tool but unreliable in the real raid environment. Proof? Look at where Sub rogues are, there. Sub is getting no unique buffs to the spec in 4.1/4.2 (officially confirmed, at any rate), so what could make up for such a substantial leap in dps?

If you're wrong you can just admit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysera
    Making dreams 'enjoyable' since 10.000 B.N.
    Ysera fanclub. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Gallador View Post
    If you're wrong you can just admit it.
    He can't. Because that would mean that he is wrong!
    Anyways, i'm really looking forward to 4.1 changes to frost. Other than the obvious buffs (HB and FS), Blood of the North change is what i'm really excited about. Although i need to see for myself how not using Blood Strike will affect my reactions regarding KM procs. When you think about it, with the current DK mechanics on live, BS was actually providing a breather in our dps cycle. Whenever you pressed BS, you successfully avoided eating potential KM proc with FS because FS was something you would use otherwise and will use exclusively with the oncoming changes.

You must bear in mind that Frost is currently bugged right now, so simming is the only surefire guarantee we have for any sort of DPS calculation. When I can stand there and spam Obliterate quite literally, nonstop, that doesn't give for a very accurate reading. In my own opinion, Frost is going to reign supreme, 2H in particular, because of the RNG changes, and the Frost Strike buff.