H-Magmaw 25 up to date strat.

I need it. Were gonna try him soon and I can't find difinitive up tto date tips and strategies for him. Anyone help me out? At this point all I know is anew type of add spawns, and there is more damage. I don't know how your supposed to deal with both types pof adds or anythhing on hard mode yet.

Deleted
    Either you kite them around using the two staircases, or you kill them (just remember that all of your dps has to switch before they'll "explode")

15+ Year Old Account
    The safest way to go is 3 tanks and 1 kiter. It's doable with 2 tanks but there is higher risk for boss tank to die.

Anyway, we used a frost DK to kite the small adds - he just runs with them around the room ... they are not dangerous to the raid - they can infect only a person who they are aggroed on.

1 tank is needed for the big adds. 2 tanks on boss to switch when 1 of them is affected by the armor reduction debuff. If you use only 2 tanks, the add tank might either taunt the boss while the main tank has the debuff, or some heavy CDs need to be used in the main tank.

Big adds are priority for the dps - especially when they are low on health and start casting armagedon: they need to be nuked down before they finish the cast. You dps Magmaw only when there is no big adds or when his head is down. Also in phase 3 is a sort of dps race so Magmaw becomes priority then (just finish off a big add if it's already low HP so Armagedon doesn't blow up your raid).

You need to spread for phase 3 to minimize raid dmg from Nefarian's attacks.

That pretty much sums it up

Deleted
    Have the tank stand to one side and your melee to the other (just like normal) and have your healers/ranged stack on the melee (they must be in melee range of the boss). Have your hunters and kiter stood at range.

Once the parasites spawn get the kiter (should be a DK with chilblains) to pick them up and just kite them around, don't bother killing them, a hunter could also do this.

The other add that spawns are skeletons. When they spawn it will look like Pillar of Flame, but a skeleton will spawn and fire. Have a hunter MD to your add tank and tank it in the melee camp then DPS it down.

P2 starts at 30% where you all need to spread out and nuke the boss down because nefarian shoots shadowbolts at the raid. To make this easier stop DPS on the boss at 32%, let him go to a headphase (spread out while people are doing chains), heroism and hit the head as hard as you can. Nefarian wont spawn until Magmaw goes back up from the headphase so you should only have 10% of P2 rather than 30%.

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kiting is no longer possible, I'm afraid. You need to tank those buggers now. (Ever since a hotfix a few weeks ago, Magmaw will reset if you try the kiting thing.)

Construct type adds: Tank them near Magmaw. Tanking position will however be shifting, depending on fire and stuff. These adds will appear in a meteor. The floor animation for it is similar to the pillar animation. Only that a huge fireball will fly towards that marked spot then. Trails of fire will spawn where the add appears. They MOVE. So make sure to dodge them. You may be safe one moment, but those things move a couple of yards, so keep an eye on the fire trails. They will despawn relatively quickly.
    Maggot type adds: Kite them. We have a DK for this. The adds will die eventually or not. It doesn't matter really.

Have paladins on raid bubble/aura mastery rotation for lava spews. People should also use their damage reduce CDs whenever possible for this.
    When construct type adds fall below 20% hp, they'll start an "Armageddon" cast. They need to die before it's finished casting, or else WIIIIIIPE!

When Magmaw's head is exposed, the add will be tanked off for a while, allowing people to damage the head. This means that this add needs to be brought low, but NOT so low that it would start its cast. It'll likely receive cleave and splash damage too. Another add will spawn while the old one is still alive during that phase. Have the construct-tank grab it and tank it as well. He'll need a bit more healing that usual during these phases. The low add should be dying quickly when the head phase has ended. The other add will need to be killed quickly then as well because there's already a new one under way.

This will repeat itself for 3 or 4 times (I'm not sure... I start tunnelvisioning when I raid and just rinse and repeat however long it is necessary, and suddenly the boss dies ) and when Magmaw hits 30(?) or maybe it was 25%... somewhere around that... Nefarian will shoot huge shadow bolt AoE at the raid. These bolts will splash, so spread out somewhat. Everybody healthstone, pot, CDs, AoE-heals, raid bubble whatever... and Magmaw should be going down.

I think that was the most important stuff. If I forgot something, there will be people who will gladly correct this oversight, I'm sure
    Last edited by Seriss; 2011-03-22 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Had 2 tanks on boss (1 to tank normally and other to take Mangle), and one/two on Chromatic Prototypes (can't remember, think our final strat was one tank). With a Frost DK on the parasites.

Melee would start on the front right hand side, right on the edge (fire from the meteors/add landings will not reach you if you're at the edges) and ranged would be spread out all around the room.

Dps boss > first add spawns, kill it > boss > second add spawns, kill it > head phase, nuke head > kill 2 adds > head phase > kill 2 adds > head phase > kill one add > boss to 31%, wait for headphase upon which you hero and nuke. Melee spread around the boss (6 yards apart) and from here on (depending on your dps) it's almost a free kill.

Deleted
    Just to clear things up, the small addsthe spawn, when do you dps them down while your dk is kiting them? before the big add is up or after? do you leave them up and have your dk keep kiting or?

Do adds still spawn in p3 if so do you focus on the adds or magmaw due to the bolt wave?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by T Man View Post
    Just to clear things up, the small addsthe spawn, when do you dps them down while your dk is kiting them? before the big add is up or after? do you leave them up and have your dk keep kiting or?

Do adds still spawn in p3 if so do you focus on the adds or magmaw due to the bolt wave?
    The small adds that spawn from the Pillar (parasites) are not touched at all. The DK just kites them and they will die from Frost Fever/Howling Blast damage.
    The big adds stop spawning as soon as you go into the final phase. Should not really have more than 2 adds up while in the final phase or the tank may not handle it.

Deleted

Just kite the parasites, don't kill them. There is a cap on how many there can be, so eventually the pillars won't spawn anything until you kill a parasite.

Everything is the same when Nef starts hitting you. You should stop DPSing the skeles and just OT them. Make sure you kill any skele that gets to around 25% though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Earny View Post
    Have the tank stand to one side and your melee to the other (just like normal) and have your healers/ranged stack on the melee (they must be in melee range of the boss). Have your hunters and kiter stood at range.
    I don't know how whole raid stacked in melee will help and can think od plenty of reasons why it's a bad idea ... the most important is the fire that spawns after the skeleton which is really a pain in melee range and you want to avoid it there at all cost.

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 12:52 PM ----------

Small adds are only concerne of the kiter. It doesn't matter if there's 10 or 100 of them ^^ If the kiter does his job you can forget they exist

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fixati0n View Post
    The big adds stop spawning as soon as you go into the final phase. Should not really have more than 2 adds up while in the final phase or the tank may not handle it.
    Are you sure? I admitt I killed the boss only 1 time now (this reset) but I was under impression that they keep spawning. Tho I was too focused on mashing my buttons and avoiding stuff rather than wondering about last phase mechanics xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    I don't know how whole raid stacked in melee will help and can think od plenty of reasons why it's a bad idea ... the most important is the fire that spawns after the skeleton which is really a pain in melee range and you want to avoid it there at all cost.
    It has been changed so that the skeles favour ranged targets now, so having hunters and your kiter at ranged will stop fire going into melee. Stacking on melee and not moving is a lot easier than stacking/spreading at ranged (depending how you did it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Are you sure? I admitt I killed the boss only 1 time now (this reset) but I was under impression that they keep spawning. Tho I was too focused on mashing my buttons and avoiding stuff rather than wondering about last phase mechanics xD
    Yeah, I'm sure. It's why you can ignore adds completely in the final phase and just hit the boss. It's only if you're a bit slow on dps or the way you dps the adds down is that you might get a bit overloaded with the adds. If you look at the way I layed out the fight in simple terms, killing 2 adds in between head phases until after the 3rd head phase, where you just kill one add and then get the boss to 31% and wait for a headphase and then push it over.

Deleted

This may help you out with understanding how to handle the adds now

Think its pretty simple, with your 2nd tank- Dk is advisable - kiting the small adds around the room and 3rd tank having the skellys in melee range to take splash damage making sure when they get to 25% you kill them before they finish there aoe cast cause it will hurt .
    Last edited by mmoc580a118390; 2011-03-22 at 05:59 PM.

Deleted
    On our first kill we used a composition of 2 tanks, 8 healers, rest dps + 1 frost dk.

Frost DK kites the adds, noone dps them ( With the exception of one warlock with shadowflame ( or whatever its called ) + bane of havoc on the head. Kinda retarded damage boost

1 tank on boss at all time
    1 tank on skeleton adds at all time.

Is Magmaw in a dive phase? No? Then dps skeletons Yes? Then dps magmaws head

Once P2 start ignore the adds and go full out on boss. Remember to spread out during P2.

Quote Originally Posted by Earny View Post
    It has been changed so that the skeles favour ranged targets now, so having hunters and your kiter at ranged will stop fire going into melee. Stacking on melee and not moving is a lot easier than stacking/spreading at ranged (depending how you did it).
    Is it ? because i'm damm sure Adds can totally spawn in melee range, and that they favor nothing at all.
    Like when we attempted it (not killed yet, 40% tho), we have casters spread all across the room, and a few melees on the right side of the melee range, and the add spawned like 3 times in a row on melees.

So i'd say your "change" is pretty much bullshit, unless it was patched in the last 7 days.

Edit ; ok I checked, it seems that you are right. My apologies. Gonna give it a try.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2011-03-22 at 06:31 PM.

You can ignore the add in p2, once you hit 25%, but make sure you dont allow any cleave dmg to it. It might just be best to finish it off rather than have a random Armageddon start casting. Some have advised lusting/hero at 25%ish head phase, we use our lust on the very first head phase. Preference I guess. But once p2 starts there are no more constructs being spawned so its just spread out, continue to dodge pillars and kite parasites, and survive until you can get the head down, in which case you should be able to kill him before he pops up again.

Since people have given most of the general strategies, going to add a small little bonus one.

Make sure your warlocks shadowflame the parasite group whenever they pass by. That many adds with shadowflame will translate into a big DPS boost on both the boss and the constructs. Obviously, they should only do it on adds the DK has solid aggro on, but it's a massive DPS boost. If you run only a single warlock, there will be so many parasites (since they won't die as fast as with multiple locks doing this) that it will be an almost 10-15k DPS boost alone towards the end of the fight.