Poll: I don't care

Deleted

I don't care about vs. I don't care for

What do you think which one is correct ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about

Deleted
    Well I always say I dont care about...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care 'bout dat.
    Seems like the correct form to me.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Discipline priests we heard you like shields that heal, so we put shield in your shield so you can heal while you heal.
    For the first half of geological time our ancestors were bacteria. Most creatures still are bacteria, and each one of our trillions of cells is a colony of bacteria.
    Richard Dawkins

They have slightly different meaning, as far as I know.

I think "Don't care for X" is closer to "I don't like X" in Britain. But I'm not a native english speaker so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Around here, if I say I "dont care for" something, I am actively expressing dislike. If I say I "dont care about" it, it is unimportant-especially to the topic at hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    Around here, if I say I "dont care for" something, I am actively expressing dislike. If I say I "dont care about" it, it is unimportant-especially to the topic at hand.
    I don't care for this person.

and

I don't care about what he says.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could say i don't care for tuna, and then say i don't care about tuna. Both sentences are correct, but they mean two different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    This.

"I don't care about" expresses a lack of interest in the topic, whereas "I don't care for" expresses a mild and polite dislike.

So, "I don't care for spinach" means "I don't really like spinach that much." In the context of being offered spinach by a friend at dinner, I don't care for spinach" might mean: "I would really rather not eat this, but I guess I will if you really want me to." This is different from "I hate spinach" which in this context would mean: "Heck no, that spinach is not getting anywhere close to my mouth!"

"I don't care about spinach" means "I have no interest in discussing, learning more about, or really thinking about spinach in any way." In the context of someone trying to educate you about the various health benefits that derive from eating spinach "I don't care about spinach" might mean: "shut up. I would seriously like to talk about something else now, you insufferable pedant."[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2011-03-22 at 11:03 AM ----------

Oh, and "I don't care for" can also mean "I don't take care of," that is, "I don't offer food or financial or physical support to." So "I don't care for orphans" can mean either "I don't run an orphanage" or "orphans give me the creeps."
    Last edited by Hipponax; 2011-03-22 at 06:04 PM.