High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Wiped my UI! help!

So, this morning while the servers were down I decided to move my WoW folder from my EXTERNAL HD to my internal HD, when the switch was complete and such, my UI got wiped out. However, my UI still remains on the external intact, anyone know how to correctly transfer a UI from one HD to another?

I tried just copy and pasting the WTF folders, but that didn't work. Any suggestions or links on how to would be much appreciated.

CnP the Interface folders together with the WTF? The addons is in the interface, the configurations on the WTF.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just deleted the Interface and WTF folders on my internal and replaced them with the ones off the external, still didn't work :/

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The real question here is - what do you mean by wiped out? Were the addons not there? Were the settings reset?

Also, WHERE on your internal HD did you put WoW - what's the path to it?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    by wiped out I mean settings, however what is strange is that OLD settings are still there, but my newer ones are not.

And the path for the internal folder is: C:>program files

If you had just been in-game changing your UI and then crashed or closed WoW without logging out (alt f4 or closing through task bar or task manager, for example), you lose any of the changes you've made. Could that be the case here?

If 'newer' in your post means from the very last time you logged in, that could be it. You didn't specify.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I always log out normally through the menu. To clarify, by newer I mean the settings I saved in my UI when I transferred servers a few months ago, however when I made the swap, those changes ceased to exist. Meaning that: the UI settings for my former server are still there, however they are outdated, and are not up to date with my current server and UI settings.
    Last edited by Tehadam; 2011-03-22 at 05:32 PM.

Deleted
    You're running which OS?
    I have a hunch. A VirtualStore hunch.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Win7 64 bit

Deleted
    I'd take a peek into:
    Code:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft
    (last part obviously depends on your install location).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I looked up the above code, and I've found my old server's UI settings and addon configurations. Some of these configs are of addons that I have uninstalled(such as AVR, and DXE). I take it I replace all these folders with my externals?

Deleted
    Try replacing them, yes. Though to prevent such issues, I'd recommend putting WoW outside of Program Files.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, I'll try that, what folder directory do you recommend?

Awesome, it worked! thanks man
    Last edited by Tehadam; 2011-03-22 at 08:25 PM. Reason: w00t

Deleted
    Mine is simply in D:\World of Warcraft. Anything except for C:\Windows\ and C:\Program Files[ (x86)]\ should work.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I keep all of my games in a "Games" folder that's on a separate drive - F:\Games\<gamename>. If you only have the one drive, just make a Games folder in the root of the drive, C:\Games\<gamename>.

This helps me keep all of my games in one place, AND keeps me from having issues with Vista/Win7.

Treeston - yeah, VirtualStore is why I asked where he had copied WoW to... but then I had to leave to attend my Aikido class before he replied.

Yeah the reason why it's generally better to install wow to it's own private directory than program files, or program files (x86) in the case of 64 bit os, is that you generally don't get access to the program files folder, so wow has to save your configurations and variables elsewhere.. If you have WoW installed in a separate folder of your own creation, you have ownership of that folder and can write to it.. Glad you got it working

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    unmoses, it's because of the "Directory Virtualization" security measure in Vista/7 - only items run as Administrator are allowed to write to the Program Files/Program Files (x86)/Windows folders. When you install a program to PF/PF(x86), and the program attempts to write to the folder after installation (addons and addon configurations, for example, among other things), Windows instead redirects it to the VirtualStore, to protect the integrity of the data in the PF/PF(x86) folder. The VirtualStore is found in (in a default Win Vista/7 install):
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore
    and includes folders name Program Files/Program Files (x86)/Windows.